Google now allows free use of its 3D tiles API

• One wonders what might be done with this: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/tile/3d-tiles

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• One wonders what might be done with this: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/tile/3d-tiles

Hi HiFlyer,

Might sound interesting, as long as we don't find some kind of photogrammetry like (MSFS) with cauliflower shaped trees. ;)

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• Hi HiFlyer,

Might sound interesting, as long as we don't find some kind of photogrammetry like (MSFS) with cauliflower shaped trees. ;)

I’m afraid that’s the best the state-of-the-art 3D reconstruction techniques can do for now. You might want to try improve that. :D

And that’s a price you pay for having unique 3D objects in the sim.

In fact this is one of the factor I prefer AFS than MSFS. If only we can have more variations on the autogens according to the region and have better texture for the tall buildings in downtown…

• W.B. I think, that one knows misunderstood?

Of course these 3D buildings are of much better quality, and as you say, to get a variation for each (region) is always much more real, in occurrence and each country has its own architecture.

However the problem, if you manage to generate (Autogens) these Google 3D buildings without it affecting the surroundings, of which I was referring to the trees, then good luck, because for the moment concerning MSFS it is far from being the case.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4