• Hey, just wondering as I took the FS2023 concorde out for a spin again the other day and there's this subtle thing that i wanna know if anyone else has.

Once you've hit between Mach 2 and 2.04, the procedure calls for autothrottle to be engaged along with MACH HOLD to maintain the mach number. However, and i'm not sure if i've asked this before, but i always find that when I hit said aforementioned button on the captain's side, the throttles seem to go straight to idle. When i hit the co-pilot's side, only then does it resume normal throttle level and actually hold the mach speed. I dont know if this was a real thing, and im pretty sure this little thing exists in other sims, but it only seems to be teh co-pilot's Mach HOLD button that holds the Mach number, as using the captain's side one will cause the throttles to automatically want to idle.

Edit: does it depend on which autothrottle (1 or 2) is engaged or not? just reading through the tutorial makes me think it's got something to do with that, yet the tutorial still calls for the captain's side button for mach hold to be engaged...

Edited 2 times, last by Phil747 (December 8, 2023 at 12:45 AM).

• The left MACH HOLD button engages the auto throttle and then targets the airspeed set in the airspeed window. Unfortunately I did not have time to program that correctly because it would require a separate value that only the Concorde needs which would require many changes in the autopilot.

The right MACH HOLD is the pitch mode that climbs or descends to the selected altitude using the current Mach number. If I remember correctly the selected airspeed window then jumps up which it would not do in the real aircraft and the airspeed is constantly adjusted for the active Mach number that is targeted internally.

In an Airbus or Boeing the selected Mach number is always shown to the pilot but Concorde only had the drum gauge for airspeed. That's why this is not fully implemented.

My recommendation would be to match the airspeed window to the current airspeed before hitting the MACH HOLD button on the left

Regards,

Jan

• The left MACH HOLD button engages the auto throttle and then targets the airspeed set in the airspeed window. Unfortunately I did not have time to program that correctly because it would require a separate value that only the Concorde needs which would require many changes in the autopilot.

The right MACH HOLD is the pitch mode that climbs or descends to the selected altitude using the current Mach number. If I remember correctly the selected airspeed window then jumps up which it would not do in the real aircraft and the airspeed is constantly adjusted for the active Mach number that is targeted internally.

In an Airbus or Boeing the selected Mach number is always shown to the pilot but Concorde only had the drum gauge for airspeed. That's why this is not fully implemented.

My recommendation would be to match the airspeed window to the current airspeed before hitting the MACH HOLD button on the left

I see, thanks Jan. that explains why only the F/O’s side seems to hold any kind of Mach speed, if the captain’s side is only for matching the speed in the window to actual indicated airspeed