Jan's Cessna 172SP Cold & Dark Mod (plus a lot more)

• Hello Jan,

I finally got around to updating the C172 files for the Cold and Dark Mod. Thanks a million for this work. These are all very useful and very needed updates. I especially like the operating doors and windows and the removable yokes. The working electrical and mixture plunger makes for a more realistic flight for sure.

I am new to everything and anything IKARUS/IPACS/Aerofly so everyone else may already know the answers, but, my questions are:

1. How do you add fuel to the Aerofly FS2 planes?
    2. Is it possible to change the Registration Numbers, say from Germany to US. I find it a little strange that we have a lot of German numbers but no German airports.

From reading the various forums, it is obvious the 'to do list' or the 'wish list' is growing daily and it seems every single user has a different priority or point of view. Mine is kinda simple - I also want all of those things that everyone else wants and I am willing to wait for the more difficult ones to work their way to the top of the lists.

But, my suggestion today is to complete some of the missing items in the existing planes rather than adding even more complex airplanes that will also be missing many parts and pieces in and around the cockpits.

If no one else has suggested it, I would like to propose the Learjet 45 receive some tender care and attention. A few more basic systems and features would be nice. Proper fuel flows and proper speeds at the upper flight levels would be a good starting point.

I am more amazed every day as I spend more time in the Aerofly FS2 planes and reading the forums.

My biggest disappointment is with the scenery, or lack thereof, and not the virtual hangar or aircraft. Although I do hope some of the whirly-bird folks get a late Christmas present and I am dying to see something on floats making a splash.

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Can we have a little reminder that the Parking Brake in On? I like the old time reminder from FSX/P3D when the BRAKES are on also. Maybe just a little popup up someplace out of the way that is only there when needed.

Best Regards,

Ray

• I finally got around to updating the C172 files for the Cold and Dark Mod. Thanks a million for this work. These are all very useful and very needed updates. I especially like the operating doors and windows and the removable yokes. The working electrical and mixture plunger makes for a more realistic flight for sure.

Thank you :)

1. How do you add fuel to the Aerofly FS2 planes?

Its currently work in progress, at the moment there is no option except reloading the plane.

2. Is it possible to change the Registration Numbers, say from Germany to US. I find it a little strange that we have a lot of German numbers but no German airports.

Use a different livery of the Cessna for now. Its not easy to change the tailnumber...

From reading the various forums, it is obvious the 'to do list' or the 'wish list' is growing daily and it seems every single user has a different priority or point of view.

Well actually ours is very very long. When I say: its on our to-do list that means its already on there, we know this bug.
    When I say: "its on our wishlist" I am saying we have thought of that and we will add that when we get to it. We of course sort all suggestions and decide what to implement next.

But, my suggestion today is to complete some of the missing items in the existing planes rather than adding even more complex airplanes that will also be missing many parts and pieces in and around the cockpits.

This is exactly how I feel right now. There are a couple of issues and I am willing to resolve them first before developing more systems.

If no one else has suggested it, I would like to propose the Learjet 45 receive some tender care and attention. A few more basic systems and features would be nice. Proper fuel flows and proper speeds at the upper flight levels would be a good starting point.

That is what I am currently working on, actually. The displays overhaul is almost completed, I changed the nav-sources (FMS1,2 and NAV1,2) and added a lot more options like minimums, standard pressure, map ranges, single cue FD and cross-bar FD, working MFD bezel controllers, setable V-speeds, all system pages and probably a few more that I forgot. Look forward to those in the next updates

Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Can we have a little reminder that the Parking Brake in On? I like the old time reminder from FSX/P3D when the BRAKES are on also. Maybe just a little popup up someplace out of the way that is only there when needed.

If I can I will reject the idea of a pop-up like in FSX. I absolutely hate that message, it destroys my immersion and I don't have that reminder in real life as well... First thing I did is change some settings to get rid of that message. No, what we need is either a co-pilot that tells you: "dude, your parking brake is on" or some other way to alert the pilot. Most airplanes have an aural alert anyways. (A320, B737, B747, LJ45,...) I'd rather implement those.

Cheers,
    Jan

• Jan,

OK. deal. For your Lear45 makeover I'll forget the C172 Brake message. :cool: Thanks for all the other detailed responses. Really looking forward to Vspeeds and more accurate speeds with fuel flows.

After your Lear45 work do you anticipate the endurance will be semi-accurate and fly at FL510 with a reduced fuel load?

Best Regards,

Ray

• Hi Ray,
    well first I'll add a few more things to the displays then add the electrical network, hopefully as deep as in the C172.
    I've reduced the drag of the lj significantly but it still does not quite get to its real world speeds at high altitude. We probably need to add Mach effects and tune the turbofan engines a bit to get there. Its hard to come by quantifyable real world performance data since those are ment to be a secret I feel like :D
    Regards,
    Jan

• Honestly, I take it all with a grain of salt, and tend to look a bit askance at anything that claims to be "Just like the real thing".

I think we fool ourselves a lot.

Get it "Reasonably in the ballpark" and I'm happy, most especially for default planes.

If there's nothing glaringly wrong, or if you need to take a microscope to the numbers to show what's wrong, then it's very likely too small to make a difference, to me. ;)

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• If I can I will reject the idea of a pop-up like in FSX. I absolutely hate that message, it destroys my immersion and I don't have that reminder in real life as well...

Very happy to read this. I absolutely hate ANY message, icon, text, screen, popup, whatever on my flightsimscreen. Heck, I had two reasons to buy the Pro version of P3D: 1. honesty and 2. that Academic reminder in the upper right corner. I've paid 200 bucks instead of 50 to not have that. I btw noticed that some XP addon planes also come with buttons and stars and what not on screen to change settings and so on... absolutely hate that. So again, I am very happy to read you hate that too. (Yes, I disabled all overlays, HUDS, etc. in AFS2 LOL)

• Get it "Reasonably in the ballpark" and I'm happy, most especially for default planes.

If there's nothing glaringly wrong, or if you need to take a microscope to the numbers to show what's wrong, then it's very likely too small to make a difference, to me. ;)

Indeed. After hanging around on this forum for just a short while I am getting the idea that in time the AFS2 default planes will surpass any default plane in any other sim. Don't know if we will ever get there but the dedication and will I see is already great!

• I fully agree with the message in screen, but FSX/P3D give (actually since at least FS9, don't remember if older versions had it) the quite simple possibility to display it or not, according to ones tastes.

A solution could be to add the information in the overlay - as well as gear up/down info - similar to throttle percentage or flaps position. I expect people who want to display that overlay might be interested by these informations, while people who hide the overlay cab enjoy a clean cockpit.

My 2 cents
    Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi Ray,
    well first I'll add a few more things to the displays then add the electrical network, hopefully as deep as in the C172.
    I've reduced the drag of the lj significantly but it still does not quite get to its real world speeds at high altitude. We probably need to add Mach effects and tune the turbofan engines a bit to get there. Its hard to come by quantifyable real world performance data since those are ment to be a secret I feel like :D
    Regards,
    Jan

Jan,

One more small thing. . . .

How difficult would it be for you to add Vspeeds verbal callouts to the Lear update? Everytime I hear "80 knots', V1, VR - Rotate, and V2" I sense that someone had finally added a bit more realism.

Regards,

Ray

• To be honest, if you get a planes performance reasonably accurate at t/o, climb, descent and landing, that's more important than exact cruise capability. A plane that accellerates to quick or slow is much more annoying. Systems need to be accurate enough to know that what you are changing actually make a believable difference. It does not need to make the exact difference. That's much too complex and in most cases also overkill.

• Antigoon,

Actually, I never considered a Lear45 a small aircraft, but I guess compared to a B747-400 one could consider it 'smaller'. But, then when it flies at FL510 at M 0.82 maybe Vspeed callouts are warranted.

Ray

• Hi Ray,
    Regards,
    Jan

Jan

I have the AFM for the Lear45 with all performance tables and charts. Can I send you a copy?

Ray

• Hi Ray,

sure, I'd like that :D
    We do have a great pilots manual for the Learjet by now, thats why I started adding a lot more systems into it. The easier I can find information the quicker it ends up in the sim... Thats also a reason why the A320 is so advanced already :D
    A good flight crew training manual (FCOM) makes all the difference.

I'll see what I can do about the call-outs.

Cheers,
    Jan

• Hi Ray,

Sure, I'd like that. We do have a great pilots manual for the Learjet by now, thats why I started adding a lot more systems into it. The easier I can find information the quicker it ends up in the sim...

I'll see what I can do about the call-outs.

Cheers,
    Jan

On its way to you.

Ray