I'm Looking for a Few Good Men . . .

• to beta test a detailed Tutorial Flight for the Aerofly FS 2 Learjet 45. I think the pdf may be longer than the flight.

- about an hour overall, ~ 40 min flight time
    - Northern California, near San Francisco Bay
    - FL250 cruise with step climbs and descent profiles
    - ILS approach and landing
    - good weather
    - Extensive use of IPACS popups and screen overlays
    - Minimal hands on flying - takeoff and landing only

You do not need to be a Learjet pilot but, this is more than an early look at a flight tutorial. You are required to submit a review with detailed comments and suggestions.

Interested? Let me know.

Regards,

Ray

• No, probably not suitable for VR - too much mouse clicking and scrolling. Thanks for the interest though.

Regards,

Ray

Mouse clicking and scrolling isn't a problem at ALL in VR thanks to the perfect way that Ipacs implemented the mouse into the VR world. I can click and scroll just as easy in VR as I can in 2D. In fact, I find it easier in VR than in 2D with TrackIR!!! What is a problem though is not being able to read a pdf or printed tutorial with VR goggles on your head...

BTW I didn't volunteer because I don't like to use pop ups and screen overlays and that seems to be mandatory. And because of what I just said: I'd have to take my Rift off everytime and that's cumbersome. Which btw can become a problem in the future with more advanced planes that require tutorials and learning stuff.

• Thanks Jeroen,

Yes, I knew from your other tutorial comments that this would be a problem. That is why I made it clear that we would be using the onscreen aids for this tutorial. This one has a lot of background text and it would be just too much detail to fly with goggles on.

Regards,

Ray

• Ingame tutorials played by a virtual pilot would be much more fun
    than reading miles of manuals, and easy to do.

that's why i'm out.

That sounds good to me. I will test your "easy" one for the Learjet 45. Thanks for the offer. I would make one, but I don't have a clue how to get started..

Would "ingame tutorial" be similar to Missions in FSX.
    Regards,
    Ray

• Ray,

I am not the xpert, but if i had to do it, i would fly and film the flight,
    including the 3d-pilot handling the instruments.

done with motion capture, data connects to the 3D-pilot model that is already in affs2
    and give it a voice and save it as a film tutorial.
    add some film cutting, add music and visual effects.

The viewer is taken into "feels like being with the instructor".
    Just like in real life.

An easier and quicker way than motion capping (guess neither one of us has this equipment:) is:

film the flight, use sequenced graphics of a hand on instruments, one still after the other, tone it and save it as a film.

The result would be a pre-rendered filmtutorial with 4 layout sections:

Main Screen=Cockpit View,
    Side Screen=Exterior view (the effect of your manipulations in the cockpit),
    Base Screen area=Text Promter,
    and right below Box=Download as a .PDF.

Tell me where your skills are (e.g. Technical Content, Voice, etc.) and what software you have.
    What skills could be of assistance (e.g. Graphics, Story Design, Film cut/movie directing, etc.)?
    And what exactly is your status (have you completed the written manual?)

• Ray,

Tell me where your skills are (e.g. Technical Content, Voice, etc.) and what software you have.
    What skills could be of assistance (e.g. Graphics, Story Design, Film cut/movie directing, etc.)?
    And what exactly is your status (have you completed the written manual?)

My skill set is very limited. I am a real world jet pilot and flight instructor with a couple of type rating. I can read and write and pass tests but not much more to contribute.

Yes, the text is about 98% complete. Mostly touch-up and formatting left.

Regards,

Ray

• Almdudler,

Jeff is aware of the tutorial but, has not seen it yet. I authored the Avsim.com review of Aerolfy FS 2 so IPACS and IKARUS know me, but I have not discussed this project with them just yet. It is getting close to completion though and I will at that time.

Regards,

Ray

• Once I have the tutorial I will get it over to the Wiki but I'm not too sure about adding video tutorials into Aerofly FS 2 at this time. There are just too many other priorities for development at the moment. I wouldn't spent too much time working on video tutorials unless you plan on publishing them on YouTube or something in-kind at this time.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Once I have the tutorial I will get it over to the Wiki but I'm not too sure about adding video tutorials into Aerofly FS 2 at this time. There are just too many other priorities for development at the moment. I wouldn't spent too much time working on video tutorials unless you plan on publishing them on YouTube or something in-kind at this time.

I agree, videos can be on youtube or mediafile sites. Jeff, I need a couple of beta test flights before I send you the tutorial. I have two early copies out for initial comments now.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ray

• Ray, I'll be here when you are ready.

Jeff,

Excellent, nice to know. Thanks.

We are exploring the possibility of using a customized Voice Attack profile to provide pseudo ATC for the flight tutorial. It might be just too much work but it sure elevates the immersion level.

Regards,
    Ray

• Jeff,

Excellent, nice to know. Thanks.

We are exploring the possibility of using a customized Voice Attack profile to provide pseudo ATC for the flight tutorial. It might be just too much work but it sure elevates the immersion level.

Regards,
    Ray

Just be careful making a tutorial with a 3rd party application integrated.. The tutorial will be used by many that don't have or will use this application for their own use and may confuse users if made a part of the tutorial.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited once, last by drhotwing1 (IPACS) (March 21, 2017 at 2:01 PM).

• Just be careful making a tutorial with a 3rd party application integrated.. The tutorial will be used by many that don't have or will use this application for their own use and may confuse users is made a part of the tutorial.

All good points, but, this would be totally optional. If you spend $10 for Voice Attack you can experience the simulation by having a pseudo ATC which is very nifty. If not, you read the ATC dialog in the pdf and react accordingly.

Regards,

Ray