Posts by nickhod

I see. How do people go about doing this? I create X number of scenery files in the User folder, but then I have to find the corresponding files in the install folder? If I create scenery files for a specific area in California, which Aerofly likely already has (but at a lower resolution), I have to find the exact overlapping ones? Is there an automated way to do this?

Apparently Aerofly loads scenery in the following priority, lowest to highest.

Higher priority scenery will be shown instead of lower priority.

- Scenery included with Aerofly

- DLC packs

- Scenery in user folders

- Higher resolution scenery is user folders

Don't quote me on that, just remember someone posting it before.

Let me know what you find.

A few things to consider:

- How are you verifying that files are missing? Checking in the sim or going by what GeoConvert says. I've found GeoConvert to give unreliable numbers of how many files it should generate.

- Check that you have "write images with mask" enabled. Disabled could lead to tiles not being created along coast lines, and possibly the above discrepancy.

- The "Shrink TMC grid squares" is there because GeoConvert seems to round coordinates up up. If you supply exact coordinates, it can lead to almost empty adjacent squares being generated.

- It seems like AeroScenery is downloading everything and this is possibly a GeoConvert or GeoConvert configuration issue?

I try to keep quiet about the lack of progress on any of the frequently requested features, however...

whenever you see a post about Aerofly where someone is comparing it a different sim, Aerofly being "lifeless" (no cars or other planes) always gets mentioned.

I fail to understand why IPACS don't make that the highest priority, it's clearly hurting adoption of the sim and ultimately their business.

And now, with your prompting I have solved it!

Windows prevented the App running by restricting access through the "Controlled Folders" protocols in Windows Defender, even though I had given the folder itself full permissions. I gave the App access through the controlled folder and BINGO, no errors.

I am very grateful for your help and now look forward to using the program.

Thank you once again.

Glad you've solved it. I was starting to think that it must be AV related myself.

Good to know these quirks with certain system if others ask for help.

Thank you for your reply Nick.

Running as Administrator gives me the same message as in my original post.

"My Documents" on my E:Drive has no access restrictions; I have checked that all permissions are valid for full access.

OK, that's strange. Can you confirm:

- That you're using AeroScenery 1.0.1 and not an older version

- Whether you used previous versions of AeroScenery

- That "E:\cms10" is where your My Documents is mapped to

- The version of Windows that's you're using

It seems like your Windows "My Documents" is mapped to E:\cms10 and it's failing to create folders or files in that directory. This is almost certainly a permissions issue. You could either run AeroScenery as Administrator or resolve the permissions issue.

It will work with your "My Documents" on any drive as long as it can write to it.

AeroScenery doesn't use the registry any more, it's all from a settings.xml file, but as it can't create the folders and files it needs, it's not creating the default settings file.

Try it first running as Administrator, then delete the folders it creates. That will diagnose that it's permissions related and we can go from there.

For me it stops at 0.010%

Any ideas?

same issue here :( geoconverter does not work. I kept it running all the night and nothing completed. seems similar to Pokredde who posted above.

thanks.

GeoConvert is a disaster of an application frankly and there's unfortunately not much I can do about that. I wish there were. Seems like Aerofly SDK releases have stood still in the time I've been away.

It does work for some people on some machines is all I can say.

It's particularly sensitive to having the GeoConvert window moved around, minimized, maximized etc.

Let AeroScenery run GeoConvert and leave your PC alone if you're experiencing GeoConvert issues. I let it run overnight if possible.

Yep, I'm back. Life got in the way.

Lots of requests for more orthophoto sources in AeroScenery. Let's make it happen.

(Lots of new faces on the forum too, which is good).

Can we collate a list (with links) of requested orthophoto sources here and I'll start evaluating them and pick them off one by one.

First one is of course

ArcGIS http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?useExisting=1

MartinM posted some others, but I can't find the post now.

About a year ago I asked nichod: "Do you think it will be possible to use this orthophoto for Aerofly FS2?"

AeroScenery Beta - Help With Testing Required

I'm still here guys and still want to add other sources to AeroScenery. It seems to be the most requested thing amongst new users.

Let me see if I can carve out some time in the next couple of weeks.

It's a shame there aren't many other developers on here because it's straightforward to add orthophoto sources to AeroScenery.

My time being swallowed up by other consultancy work is the issue, not AeroScenery limitations.

hi Nickhod,

and thanks for your fantastic software, amasing

I'm use the last builded git version, 1.01 and having some trouble with the great new feature with bing (no-tile downloaded -> transparency).

This feature is working great arround Belle ile en mer (in France) but not arround Saint Malo (in France too).

Hi jpx,

Thanks for the bug report. I'll take a look over the next couple of days.

I look for a header in Bing results that should tell me if the tile is missing. Maybe it's not present in the data around St. Malo and I need to detect a solid black or white square instead.

Good video thanks. :thumbup:

I think the tracking is a really positive move forward and I'm pleased to see it getting good reviews. I'm sure inside-out is the future of tracking, no one wants to mess with mounting sensors in corners of rooms.

Not so sure about the halo design, lack of good integrated earphones, 80Hz, no manual IPD adjustment.

A high res screen would have just about sold me, but it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade otherwise.

Think I'll skip this one and wait patiently for the next Rift.

It seems to me this IS the "rift 2". The Rift S is a big disappointment yet this HP looks uncannily like the old Rift just much better spec. SOMEBODY please solve foveated rendering though so we can power all these pixels and still max out FS2 settings.

From what I heard, they axed the real Rift 2 project (causing one of the original founders to quit) and outsourced this Rift 1.5 to Lenovo. I can kind of see why; those who can invest in a GTX 2080, a top end PC and a new headset are a pretty small market. Disappointing none the less.

The inside out tracking on the Rift S looks good, they just needed a Rift S+ variant with a 4k screen.

These guys did solve foveated rendering, at least better than anyone else is doing it. Downside is that it costs $6k :)

https://varjo.com/for-simulation-training/

Love seeing these! I would totally build a home cockpit if I had (a) the space (b) a wife willing to put up with any more of my unfinished projects.

My "home cockpit" is an Ikea fold up chair, cushion, a foldable stand for my yoke and the Oculus Rift. I'll not bother with pictures :)

Maybe when the kids move out I can have a VR room. 14 years to go. We might have real weather in AFS by then ;)

The earlier Versions worked with my proxy settings for windows 10. In the actual version 1.0.1 i get no previews and downloads for google and bing maps.

I have to delete my proxy settings an open the needed ports for direct internet access on my firewall. Did you change something in this case?

Google and bing itself are working fine with proxy settings.

Nothing has changed, but I didn't add any support for using a proxy in any version. I'll take a look.

Hi Nick

exception trying to restitch when ortho image files had been deleted.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Thanks. Will add to the 1.1 todo list

In the X-Plane world, there are two main scenery creation apps: Ortho4XP and World2XPlane

The rationale for keeping apps like that separate is content licensing and target users.

Lots of people need to use an AeroScenery / Ortho4XP type tool as orthophotos can't be redistributed easily.

Cultivation / autogen, on the other hand, can be redistributed. In the X-Plane world it very much is with certain sites providing high quality pre-made autogen for many parts of the world. There's no need for most X-Plane users to bother creating their own autogen.

After giving it some thought, I feel like cultivation generation is always going to be a power user feature, with regular users just downloading pre-made cultivation.

With that said, to generate my cultivation I built a homemade tool call Cultivation Compiler. It's a re-implementation of World2XPlane for Aerofly.

It's not ready for prime-time yet, but I hope to release it at some point this year (with a GUI).

A GUI wrapper around Scenproc and OSM2Object would definitely help some people out, but I just can't take that on personally at the moment.

(Unless someone hires me to work on this stuff full time :))