Request for the developers: reflections

• I know some of the frequent IPACS team members that take care of this forum can't do anything about this so that's why I am addressing the developers themselves here. I posted about this before but since nothing has happened in this regard I decided to post it again.

You really have to get rid of the ridiculous and totally unrealistic ground reflection on the windows that are created on the fly.

I am not talking about the baked in reflections of the cockpit itself but about the top down 'reflection' of the ground that is pasted on the windows and updated every now and then. Just now I took off and all the time during the climb I saw the runway in my window, in a mirror image, including the white stripes and 29R. This is totally unrealistic and should be dealt with imho.

I seriously can't imagine how anyone came up with this idea. I mean, it isn't even POSSIBLE to see a reflection of the ground BELOW your aircraft in the window of the cockpit so what was the idea behind this 'feature'...?! The fact that this is a static reflection that only gets updated every now and then makes it even more odd and worse...

So please, simply remove this 'feature'. It isn't needed at all and only kills the immersion of this otherwise great sim. (The only sim I have installed right now.) If there is a way to hack this reflection myself by editing some file, please let me know!

Here is a screenshot of this problem. I can't imagine anyone liking this or regarding this as realistic. Take note that this screenshot was taken during climb and with the airport far behind me already.

Edited once, last by J van E (March 17, 2018 at 11:48 AM).

• I don't think I have ever noticed anything like that. I will have to look for it.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I don't think I have ever noticed anything like that. I will have to look for it.

Maybe I have an eye for it. ;) But there always is one random picture of the ground beneath you on the window: it is a static snapshot of whatever you flew (or drove) over and it gets replaces every few minutes. Static meaning it is one shot but it moves around when you move around.

• Every now and then I notice an abrupt 'state change' of the reflections when flying and recording video. I never really analyzed this. Thanks for the explanation. It's more apparent to me at lower sun angles especially over cities like NY. It's the jarring snap to a new reflection that gets my attention. Maybe smoother transition like a dissolve, if not eliminated.

• Those images that you see are embedded into the code of the models so we won't be changing this for some time, if ever.

Also, we are all developers here even though some of us also manage the forums.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Those images that you see are embedded into the code of the models so we won't be changing this for some time, if ever.

How can a changing image, depending on the location, be embedded into a model...? I am not a developer, never developed anything, but I am just wondering how this is possible. I suppose some line of code is embedded, a line that calls for this snapshot, but that doesn't seem to hard to get rid off, I'd say. Again, I am not talking about the reflections that are baked in to windows but the changing and moving refelctions!

Apart from that I am amazed to read that something that is unrealistic and makes no sense may not be changed 'ever'. I mean, that's a bit odd. I expected something in the lines of 'we can't change it right away but we will look at it' but saying this may never change strikes me as very odd. Some may not notice this changing reflection but I see it ALL the time and it's annoying once you know it's there.

BTW I do know you are all developers, didn't mean to insult anyone, ;) but afaik there are two guys who are in charge and make the decisions: as your signature says, you are a cook, you don't own the restaurant. Again, not trying to insult anyone but I am just a bit amazed by this reply.

• won't be changing this for some time, if ever

This does not mean that we will never do it. It clearly states that it's very very low on our priority list. .Also, if it was something easy to get rid of then it would have been taken care of, however, just because you don't like them doesn't mean that it is required to be dealt with.

We feel that it makes things look more realistic and it is hardly noticeable to begin with.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• just because you don't like them doesn't mean that it is required to be dealt with.

Of course not, but I can't imagine anyone liking it. ;)

We feel that it makes things look more realistic and it is hardly noticeable to begin with.

Let's agree to disagree. ;)

Hardly noticable...?

Edited once, last by J van E (March 17, 2018 at 8:46 PM).

• as far as I know its enough to hit "t" once to change the time and refresh the reflection, that will usually remove the runway reflection

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try!

• Like any aspect of the sim, I can see how it would be nice to have it perfect, but I can't say it's ever bothered me, and there are plenty of other things I would give a higher priority to include/fix. I'd just stick it on the end of the 'jobs to do' list and leave it there.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals