• All I'll say is I've used a regular Vive and a Vive Pro with FS2 and never had a problem, Oldar. Performance has always been fine.

I don't doubt you, but I have both the Vive and Vive pro as well, and I can get decent performance out of the Vive Pro only below a SS setting of around 1.2, and I get great performance out of the Oculuis at SS 2.0. With the Vive regular I have to reduce it to around 1.4

What are your settings in Fs 2, both the SS and the graphics detail? What are your settings in the SteamVR setup menu for FS 2 in particular and the Vive Pro in general? I am asking this not be confrontational, far from it! I would LOVE to be able to use the Vive 100% of the time. The only thing I use the Oculus for is FS 2, and it would delight me to be able to gift it to a friend or family member.

Please offer any help you might think would be useful.

Bill

• Official Post

Bill,

none of us have tested Aerofly with the Vive Pro but I'm a bit curious, does the Vive Pro actually have a better image quality than the Oculus Rift?

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• I don't doubt you, but I have both the Vive and Vive pro as well, and I can get decent performance out of the Vive Pro only below a SS setting of around 1.2, and I get great performance out of the Oculuis at SS 2.0. With the Vive regular I have to reduce it to around 1.4

What are your settings in Fs 2, both the SS and the graphics detail? What are your settings in the SteamVR setup menu for FS 2 in particular and the Vive Pro in general? I am asking this not be confrontational, far from it! I would LOVE to be able to use the Vive 100% of the time. The only thing I use the Oculus for is FS 2, and it would delight me to be able to gift it to a friend or family member.

Please offer any help you might think would be useful.

Bill

I remember when you got the Vive pro Bill you said it wasn't better than Vive as you needed to dial down the SS. Now that the new high performance OpenGL is out does this make a difference? Is the Vive pro not now able to run at a decent SS?

Your experience with Vive Pro is not encouraging for those hoping for the Pimax 8K to appear in the near future. That's the reason I'm watching news on the 1180 so closely. I might even have to investigate GPU cooling as I gather these new cards will turbo boost a fair bit if they can be kept cool enough.

Zed - what's your view on Vive v. Vive Pro on FS2?

• I remember when you got the Vive pro Bill you said it wasn't better than Vive as you needed to dial down the SS. Now that the new high performance OpenGL is out does this make a difference? Is the Vive pro not now able to run at a decent SS?

Your experience with Vive Pro is not encouraging for those hoping for the Pimax 8K to appear in the near future. That's the reason I'm watching news on the 1180 so closely. I might even have to investigate GPU cooling as I gather these new cards will turbo boost a fair bit if they can be kept cool enough.

Zed - what's your view on Vive v. Vive Pro on FS2?

I love the Pro for everything except for FS 2 lol. It is better with the new FS 2 update, but it is still noticeably inferior to the Oculus on my rig. I can run the SS at 1.4 tops, and 1.2 in dense scenery.

Part of it is just that the Oculus does much better when reading the cockpit instruments and text than the Vive is. If you crank the SS up enough to get clearer text, the frame rate suffers.

And I too am afraid about how the next gen hires headsets are going to perform with flight sims. It looks like the GPU/CPU side of the equation is going to have to catch up to ensure smooth performance. Does that sound familiar?

• Hello,

sorry for my english use google Translate...

I can not confirm the problem with Vive Pro either.

I have a much better resolution with the Vive Pro and can read the instruments easily and much better than with the normal Vive.

With the normal Vive I can set up to SS 2.0 and the Vive Pro with its much higher resolution logically only on SS 1.5, but the picture on the Pro is much better and clearer than the Vive.

With SS1.0, however, the image in the Pro is no longer particularly clear.

I use Vulcan with graphics setting "Ultra" except the shadow I have on low.

Fly Cessna 172, Baron 58 and King Air, preferably on ORBX Scenery (Innsbruck and Eagle) Additionally I have the Next Level Motion V3 and Buttkicker running. My PC 8700K and GTX 1080 OC.

Greeting André

Edited once, last by VJS-Tiger (July 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM).

• I don't get it. There must be something wrong in my setup.

It's all very interesting. Of course Bill you're the only one we've found so far with both Rift and Vive and Vive Pro. Vive Pro on 1.5 *should* really look sharper than Rift on 2.0 (especially a more conservative 1.8) I would think.

• Oh it looks very sharp, it just runs very poorly, with lots of choppiness and stutters and other evidence of a poor frame rate.

My 8700k is overclocked. Is everybody else overclocking or running at it's native clock speed? You never know...

• Official Post

Bill, as you know already, Aerofly is mainly GPU driven so the overclocked CPU won't help or hurt you much here. Are you running at the recommended 1.50 SS?

Are you getting a solid 90 FPS in VR with the Pro but still seeing stutters?

Also, are you running in vulkan or OGL?

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Bill, as you know already, Aerofly is mainly GPU driven so the overclocked CPU won't help or hurt you much here. Are you running at the recommended 1.50 SS?

Vulkan runs more poorly than OpenGl for me, no matter which headset I use, so I use OpenGl.

I have to lower the SS to about 1.2 to get even mildly acceptable performance with the Vive Pro. I will check the frame rates the program reports that I am getting.

I get great performance on the Oculus at SS 2.0, so it is a mystery to me. I can't run the Vive regular at nearly the same SS as I can the Oculus.

• Official Post

That's rather odd. The extra pixels of the Vive Pro should be eaten rather easily due to the extra headroom of Aerofly. However, with those extra pixels you should be able to actually turn down the RSF and still achieve clear results; the higher the pixel count+lower RSF=same result as lower pixel count and higher RSF.

Regards,

Jeff

• That's rather odd. The extra pixels of the Vive Pro should be eaten rather easily due to the extra headroom of Aerofly. However, with those extra pixels you should be able to actually turn down the RSF and still achieve clear results; the higher the pixel count+lower RSF=same result as lower pixel count and higher RSF.

I don't know why, but the Oculus greatly out-performs the Vive and Vive Pro for me. It has frustrated me for some time now.

• So just to summarise:

Oldar and VJS-Tiger get the sharpest best image on Vive Pro at 1.5 - even compared to Rift on higher SS (as per Oldar 's tests)

However Oldar can't run Vive Pro at 1.5 on his system/config whereas VJS-Tiger has no problem running at 1.5

Oldar is on 1080Ti (if I remember correctly) and VJS-Tiger is on overclocked 1080 (should be slower than 1080Ti ?)

So one might hope that if they could run a system like VJS-Tiger (or even better a 1080Ti or 1180) then they might be able to handle a Pimax 8K on SS1.0 - not sure about the Pimax 8K-X which is the pure all-the-pixels non over-sampled version... then again Pimax are only managing 80fps rather than the hoped for 90.

• Official Post

Phil,

we haven't tested Aerofly running on the Pimax systems so we can't predict how Aerofly will run. We also can't commit to saying that the Pimax is even compatible with Aerofly at this time.

I may pick up the Pimax 8K soon to try to benchmark it but we have no guarantees at this time.

Regards,

Jeff

• Bill, as you know already, Aerofly is mainly GPU driven so the overclocked CPU won't help or hurt you much here. Are you running at the recommended 1.50 SS?

What I have found is that every so often the fps dips down to 80 or 75 for a second. That must be what I am seeing as choppiness.

• Hello !

Oldar, that is really weird ...

My Rift was only slightly better (SDE) than my Vive.

The CPU utilization I have not observed, OC have all cores up to 4700 Mhz.

Vulcan runs with me on the pro "something" better than OpenGL.

I use AFS2 under SteamVR, I do not have a special setup there ...

I once had a benchmark for comparison.

Greeting André

Edited once, last by VJS-Tiger (July 19, 2018 at 9:04 PM).

• Do you have background programs?

Virus scanner, Backup, cloud etc ...

Gruß André

The only anti-virus I have is what came with Windows. No backup or cloud is running that I know of. And in any case wouldn't the background programs impact the Oculus just as much as the Vive?

Just spent the last hour+ doing tests. VJS-Tiger, my setup looks just like yours, except that I have even set my FS 2 to 90% in the Steam VR menu. I have tried with and without Vilkan and the Oculus always comes out on top. I can not run the Vive above SS 1.4 with good results. Running Vulcan with the high quality anti-alias setting really drops the performance.

It is fine in lower density areas. Even Innsbruck can be OK. But in Chicago or near the airport in Orbx Monterrey it gets very choppy. I have shadows on "off", trees on medium and everything else on Ultra. I can run SS 2.0 everywhere in Oculus, but at best 1.4 on Vive Pro.

• Hi,

So I've just tried addon "Aerofly FS 2 - Northeastern USA" skyline of New York, because I have when I look 90 ° sideways out of the window sometimes a very slight jerking, but that does not really bother.

But I still have 100% in Steam and everything on "Ultra" except for shadows.

With 90% in Steam and 1.4 in AFS2, you have about 84% of my resolution. Should still be well above the Oculus itself and should actually look better.

What can you achieve with Steam 100% maiximal on SS in AFS2?

But as I said everything based on Vulcan not in OpenGL.

Maybe your PC is a bit weaker. You could even compare the benchmark, it does not cost anything on Steam.

Greeting André