• Hello Ray, any chance you could make an example of how to flatten elevation spikes?

There are quite few different ways of doing it; the easy way is to patch up the original elevation model used to make the mesh with another dataset; for example if the mesh is dome from aster dem data; you can download another source such as srtm and cut that bit of terrain out using microdem or qgis software - any of the two can do it

you than load the original elevation model and on top you put the patch you cut out from the different source; usually spikes are caused by bad datas; but with geoconverter they can pop up here and there even without bad datas.

microdem can do anything you want and need really and is free: a video to give an idea

this is a good video to grab the principle:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Ray, thank you for your offer to correct these terrible spikes.

That's great! I appreciate it very much!

Here are the coordinates of spikes near Venice / Italy.

Position N45.34_E12.36.

But, it is not a single spike. As shown in picture below, in the red area, it is a large group of spikes with a height of about 30,000 feet.

Thank you for your help!

• by the way how about sloping runways rather than flatten runways ???

it complete change the dynamic of your take off and landing; more work involved to get It right

Yes you are right! I love sloped runways.:thumbup:

Especially at high altitude airfields, such as Telluride, it is a nice challenge.

By the way, on your screenshot the plane is on a self-made orhotphoto scenery, in Telluride? Is it true?

If you do not already have it, IPACS has a beautiful "Aerofly FS 2 - USA Colorado-DLC".

Beautiful scenery, high altitude airfields such as Telluride, etc. And all for free! :thumbup:

I highly recommend it to you!

To watch and download here on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/742410/Aer…clanid=25048692

Here are two schrennshots:

Colorado_Telluride

Colorado_Steamboat Springs

• nice one!

but there is only one telluride runway out there as the real one; and that is the one I have made.

• nice one!

but there is only one telluride runway out there as the real one; and that is the one I have made.

I'm sorry Ray, but I did not understand that now.

I watched your "AEROFLY FS2 TELLURIDE" in SimMarket and also the YouTube video.

You have succeeded really well also the terrain mesh looks very good.

But there is an "Aerofly FS 2 - USA Colorado DLC" from IPACS.

In that is "Telluride Regional Airport" inside.

I'm a bit confused right now! Sorry! ?(

• telluride runway I have done is hand edited - point by point matching the real one on its sloping caracteristics.

• Ray, thank you for your effort to fix these terrible spikes in "19 M Mesh-Italy"!:thumbup:

I have just purchased all the works you have created for Aerofly FS2 from the Simmarket.

(Aerofly Austria 10 Meters Mesh, Spain and Portugal 19M Mesh, FS2 Telluride, etc ...)

Telluride, mainly and in the hope that there as well as in Canary Islands, a very good 5 meter mesh inside.:/

I have not installed it yet. But I am very curious if "Austria 10 Meters Mesh" harmonises well with the "19 M Mesh-Italy".

I will report later.

Regards, Jakob

• Hi Jakob;

thanks for your help

they all should work together; as Austria is higher resolution mesh than Italy; try rename the Italy mesh as zz_italy_mesh19

It did work telluride; scenery folders with zz in front of their name such as for example zz_19_m_mesh_italy will load first; this should work if you like put anything above it.

• Ray, thank you very much!

Thanks to your corrections in "19 M Mesh-Italy", is an undisturbed flight over Venice has become possible without uninstalling "19 M Mesh-Italy".

I have a question about "19 M Mesh-Italy": After the correction, the size of the mesh file has shrunk from 3.57 GB to only 875 MB. Why?

Then I noticed that in the corrected "19 M Mesh Italy" all "maph_09 _ * ..... tth" and all "maph_11 _ * ..... tth- files" are missing. Does it have a reason?

Thank you for your help.

Here is a screenshot above the beautiful Venice without spikes!

• Hi Jakob;

thanks for your help

they all should work together; as Austria is higher resolution mesh than Italy; try rename the Italy mesh as zz_italy_mesh19

It did work telluride; scenery folders with zz in front of their name such as for example zz_19_m_mesh_italy will load first; this should work if you like put anything above it.

Thanks for the hint! I did the same and both,

"Austria 10 Meters Mesh" and "19 M Mesh-Italy" work well together.

Ray, is there also a possibility to create Austria_mesh with 5M? In a lot of important areas, that would be a fantastic thing.

When I look at how beautiful canary islands looks with 5M mesh. Very impressive!

Here is a screenshot: view over Italy to Austria.

• Hi Jakob;

glad is working out for you ! sure 5 m data produce some great mesh; even if aerofly max resolution I think is at 10 m max; 5 m data always pick up more details; is worth the extra effort.

I have a question about "19 M Mesh-Italy": After the correction, the size of the mesh file has shrunk from 3.57 GB to only 875 MB. Why?

Then I noticed that in the corrected "19 M Mesh Italy" all "maph_09 _ * ..... tth" and all "maph_11 _ * ..... tth- files" are missing. Does it have a reason?

I want it to cut waste of hd space; as aerofly use photorealistic; run few test to find out what could be the best 19 m mesh display lod; and 7 8 and 10 work out well; 11 was actually not really needed as is for 9.54 resolution data or below; while Italy data are 20 m.

Ray, is there also a possibility to create Austria_mesh with 5M? In a lot of important areas, that would be a fantastic thing.

will do; at the moment 5 m data for Austria are not yet available; it might be prohibitive cost commercial data are already there; but we talk about $$$ $$$ $

we can always ask Bill Gates; as he like flight simulation; if he is interested to buy for us ??

ray

• I want it to cut waste of hd space; as aerofly use photorealistic; run few test to find out what could be the best 19 m mesh display lod; and 7 8 and 10 work out well; 11 was actually not really needed as is for 9.54 resolution data or below; while Italy data are 20 m.

Ray Thanks for your comments and explanation!:thumbup:

Now I understand a lot more.

will do; at the moment 5 m data for Austria are not yet available; it might be prohibitive cost commercial data are already there; but we talk about $$$ $$$ $

we can always ask Bill Gates; as he like flight simulation; if he is interested to buy for us ??

Hahaaa! Probably, Bill G. would pay these costs out of his pocket Money!:)

Jakob

• Hello,

New user of Aerofly2, I've already downloaded the Lofoten islands which are very well made :thumbup:

I've generated the scenery for the dolomiti but the result is not very good. (google maps level 11/12/13/14)

I'm wondering if there's a place where I can download the Mesh for Italy and/or the sceneries ?

Thanks !