MS, Valve and HP partners up on new VR headset

• POOF!!

Essentially this just came out of nowhere. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/Ne…_HP_VR_Headset/

As far as I can tell, this seems to be windows mixed reality, version 2

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Finally time to get rid of my newly acquired Reverb. Anyone interested in a deal? Perhaps WMR2 might revise that ugly Ctrl+Y thingy?

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• I saw this and hoped it might be a Reverb with overhauled inside-out tracking; either WMR2 or HP in-house.

What I think they've done is just put Valve lighthouse tracking support in the headset and used Valve's headphones. There are clearly only two cameras on there. Maybe it'll optionally ship without WMR controllers with the idea being that you use Valve knuckles.

It's nice idea, but given how perfectly Oculus inside-out tracking works, I'm not keen to drill holes in my living room walls and have cables trailing down.

I wonder why Oculus seems to hold the magic key right now when it comes to inside-out tracking. Their patent portfolio?

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Finally time to get rid of my newly acquired Reverb. Anyone interested in a deal? Perhaps WMR2 might revise that ugly Ctrl+Y thingy?

Kind regards, Michael

Michael, you do not like the Reverb? Knowing the technology now, would you fly VR, keep the XTOP, or get a Stay Level panel and use Air Manager with monitors/iPads in panel? Cheers.

Dan

• Michael, you do not like the Reverb?

Dan

No, this was sarcasm. I actually like the Reverb very much, even more in comparison to my older Acer headset. It's just that anytime you think you've got something good to last for some time, something better appears around the corner.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Do you still use the XTOP or do you primarily fly VR now?

Alternating, but I still like the XTOP.

I use the Reverb mainly for AeroflyFS2 where it really shines. Prepar3d (and XP, if that matters) just don't provide the performance to have fun with the Reverb. It works sort of, but the whole handling until I get VR running properly is cumbersome, I have to change some settings to prevent the picture zapping away now and then, I have to switch to the virtual cockpit (by default I have full screen scenery for the XTOP) etc.

In Aerofly I just connect the Reverb which opens the cliffhouse, start AeroflyFS2 (I made a special VR icon) and voila it just works. I can fly even over Paris with the Reverb without trouble.

On the other hand, I still use like the XTOP for Prepar3d and sometimes even for AeroflyFS2. It's real switches and stuff... :)

Kind regards, Michael

• Michael,

That’s my dilemma. I have the Rift S, but my Performance is much better without VR.

Thinking of going to Air Manager or the XTOP. XTOP being much more expensive route as I don’t have any Saitek and the Alpha yoke isn’t designed for XTOP. I’m waiting on the B quadrant release as well. Decisions......

• have any Saitek and the Alpha yoke isn’t designed for XTOP. I’m waiting on the B quadrant release as well. Decisions......

If you ask me, that was a bad design flaw that they didn't make the Alpha yoke compatible to the XTOP and several similar panels available. I would have exchanged my Saitek yoke immediately.

While I *love* the XTOP it has its downsides as well. One of the biggest ones is its inflexibility. It just doesn't accommodate an airliner or even a stick operated plane like the Robin naturally.

Kind regards, Michael

• If you ask me, that was a bad design flaw that they didn't make the Alpha yoke compatible to the XTOP and several similar panels available. I would have exchanged my Saitek yoke immediately.

While I *love* the XTOP it has its downsides as well. One of the biggest ones is its inflexibility. It just doesn't accommodate an airliner or even a stick operated plane like the Robin naturally.

Kind regards, Michael

Michael,

I contacted Agronn to see if they were modifying XTOP for use of Honeycomb Yoke and TQ. The representative told me the new designs will be available in about 30 days. No price info yet. See pics below from manufacturer.

• Michael,

I contacted Agronn to see if they were modifying XTOP for use of Honeycomb Yoke and TQ.

Thanks a lot, I didn't expect this at all. The Agronn Panels are not "cheap" and I am not "rich" but I am afraid I can't resist should it really surface. This would be a clear winning combo.

I would much acknowledge being informed if/when it will be available.

Kind regards, Michael

• Thanks a lot, I didn't expect this at all. The Agronn Panels are not "cheap" and I am not "rich" but I am afraid I can't resist should it really surface. This would be a clear winning combo.

I would much acknowledge being informed if/when it will be available.

Kind regards, Michael

I certainly will keep you in loop. I’m debating building my own, XTOP, or Flight Deck X below.