• I am running Steam and am doing very well with the F4u Corsair and the 737-500. I would like very much to

fly the A-320. First I tried to set the AP, but by the time I have went across all of the entries the first entries

go blank. I've tried to press right mouse to lock as well as left mouse to lock, but still dose not work. The

mouse wheel dose allow to enter the numbers. I gave up on the AP and tried to enter an ILS into what I

thought was the correct radio, but it will not allow ( example 111.55 LOC / GS ). The radio view on the right

active view is blocked, only the stby is in view. The radio on the left will not allow the above frequency to

be entered as well. I'm hoping it's my fault and not the A-320. Please advise and get me in the air in the

A-320.

• Hold your Horses! I apologize for my entry above. I have been so used to other sims to go ahead and

program the autopilots straight on and having set a side radios to enter various frequencies . The A-320

is more complicated than ones I've used before. I found this out in the manual. I am not only going to

read the manual, but study it for operating the A-320. If I reach a snag I will then call for help. Thanks

• Official Post

We simulate the real world autopilot in great detail. The behavior that you experience is most likely intended as part of a realistic simulation. The real autopilot in the Airbus is pretty advanced but may require some knowledge to be used safely and as intended. There are thousands of videos, articles and manuals available on the web and we also provide an entry level tutorial in our wiki for the A320.

https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…aft:airbus_a320

We recommend reading or skimming through it first to get some basic understanding of the terminology used and what to call the autopilot things.

To your dashed values issues:

Once you are in the air you should first turn on the flight directors before manually entering values into the FCU (autopilot panel in the glare shield).

When selecting values pull the knob out with the right mouse button. Then they stay active. You don't have to use the MCDU at all to use the autopilot. But in some situations like before takeoff or before landing a real world pilot would always set a few performance figures like V1, V2, VR, VAPP and thrust reduction/acceleration heights.

In Aerofly FS we have already preset these for you. You can change them if you wish but I'd keep the default values for now.

Normally the A320 takeoff is performed with all FCU windows dashed.

During takeoff the V2 speed is used as set in the MCDU.

Heading is set automatically after liftoff.

Vertical speed is inactive because it is a more dangerous mode for climbing than the normal climb or open climb mode in the A320.

The normal takeoff goes as follows:

V2 set, flaps extended, flight directors on. Set initial altitude on the FCU. Optionally set the FLX TEMP in the MCDU for a reduced thrust takeoff.

Advance thrust for takeoff, put levers into the FLX/MCT or TOGA detent depending on if you use FLX TEMP or not.

The flight mode annunciator on the primary flight display then should read:

1st column

MAN FLX or MAN TOGA

2nd column

SRS

with ALT or CLB in blue

3rd column

RWY if you have an ILS or blank or RWY TRK,

NAV in blue if you have a route set up and armed

5th column

1 FD 2

A/THR in blue

After lift off, if the lateral mode is still blank it goes into HDG with the current heading. RWY switches to RWY TRK.

If a route was armed then the active mode switches to NAV.

At the acceleration height the vertical mode switches to CLB (if NAV is active) or to OP CLB. The autopilot then pitches for the selected speed and keeps thrust fixed.

At thrust reduction altitude the thrust levers need to be pulled back into the CLB detent. You will see a LVR CLB on the flight mode annunciator if you don't. This engaged the autothrust system.

After takeoff the modes should be

THR CLB,

CLB or OP CLB with ALT in blue

HDG or NAV

A/THR in white.

At this time you can select a vertical speed if you wish but as soon as you select VS by pulling it the autothrust switches to SPD mode and targets what ever you entered in the speed window.

So ideally you set your airspeed first, pull the knob out and adjust to set a speed. Then set vertical speed and pull the vertical speed knob or push it to set 0 ft/min.

Regards,

Jan