Converter maximum texture size

• In my opinion our A320 model (which originated from the Aerosoft A320 years ago but we've done significant changes since then) is a great representation of the A320 and most proportions and shapes are 'just right' and it still represents the highest quality seen on the market (comparing default aircraft).

We aim to achieve a more photorealistic look over time but you have to keep in mind that we want to use the same model and textures on our other platforms as well. Especially on mobile there is not enough computing power for expensive shader reflections etc.

Jet-Pack (IPACS) I agree, but is there any plan to do the A320 Repaint kit?

Or at least fix the Aircraft Converter?

I'm doing liveries in 8192x8192 but the Aircraft Converter is downscaling it to like 2048x2048

The same problem affects other aircraft too, like Boeing 747 repaint kit

Regards,

PLΛY

PC: RTX 3070, Ryzen 7 3700X, 16GB RAM, 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD,

Setup: Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and Saitek Throttle

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 512 GB

Flight Simulators: Aerofly FS 2, X-Plane 11, X-Plane 12 and MSFS 2020

My Youtube Channel https://youtube.com/@P_L_A_Y

Edited once, last by P L A Y (June 10, 2021 at 12:25 AM).

• Jet-Pack (IPACS) I agree, but is there any plan to do the A320 Repaint kit?

Or at least fix the Aircraft Converter?

I'm doing liveries in 8192x8192 but the Aircraft Converter is downscaling it to like 2048x2048

The same problem affects other aircraft too, like Boeing 747 repaint kit

It would be very beneficial for anyone who works with edited paintings I'm thinking of making paintings but with better resolution!

Regards,

Lucas

A320 Test Pilot at Aerofly FS2!

I7 8GB RAM GeForce NVIDIA 1660TI 6GB VRAM Graphics 4K .

Edited once, last by Lucas Bravo (June 10, 2021 at 12:44 AM).

• I was thinking that maybe it can be like this due to the fact that the texture of the PLAY's Kit A320 bmp is all together in one photo file. In total there are 16 squares of texture photos that could be separated like in the B737 kit, but I could be wrong.

Maybe this reduces textures as photos are scaled down but I'm not sure!

Regards,

Lucas

• Yes, this is exactly the problem, it's one big file, but it would be harder to remap all the A320 textures, IPACS should fix the Aircraft Converter first, it would be a lot easier.

Lucas Bravo but how do you think to put all the textures into one file after converted?

You can't read the .ttx file correctly with notepad++

And if you were to copy all the text to one file then you can't put there if the texture was the one square from the left or right or from whatever

This is just not possible

Regards,

PLΛY

Setup: Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick and Saitek Throttle

• Yes that's my question too I have no idea maybe this isn't possible right now!

Regards,

Lucas

• I think it shouldn't be so difficult like this you just paste a part of the photo in the file and it loads on the location and flyy

NO, you need to know to which place to put this part of the photo, you need its coordinates

Regards,

PLΛY

• And even the 747 Repaint kit has problems, look

This is how to Varig livery looked in paint.net, my editing program

And this is how it looks inside simulator :(

So I suggest that IPACS should fix the Aircraft Converter so that it would maintain the original quality and resolution of the .bmp file

Regards,

PLΛY

• Official Post

This is not a bug at all, it's done by design because almost all textures are 2048 x 2048. Otherwise we'd have to specify the exact texture size for all of our models for all platforms we support. Instead we leave it at default resolution for the most part and only increase quality for the desktop version and only for textures where it's visible. That also means we can increase texture resolution once the hardware improves, without changing a single bitmap texture.

The converter checks for a model.tmc file inside the intermediate folder where the bitmap files are located.

If you don't have this file yet can create a simple text file with this content and save it as model.tmc.

Here is the example for the intermediate/a320/model.tmc file make sure that you change 'your_repaint_folder_here' to the repaint folder name that you want to convert.

The MaxTextureSize is the maximum resolution possible for the conversion for the textures listed below. Only files that are in that list are converted at that the set quality. Other files are converted in 2048 by 2048 pixel resolution per default, which is sufficient for 95% of all textures. We don't recommend converting all textures at sizes above 2048 because then the aircraft may no longer work on weaker systems and the file sizes and loading times increase a lot. Your graphics card memory may not be able to load all the files at once which could be an issue when loading the aircraft or you'll be able to load the aircraft just fine but get lower quality scenery as you approach the maximum vram. That means your graphics card also has to load more textures when needed which can cause loading stutters, etc. So pick the most important textures and leave it at that.

• and even so I think my suggestion is valid for a separate photo

To add 1/16 of the texture in the right place the program needs to know from you the delimitation of the region in which the texture has to be! The ttx file tells the simulator where the texture should be on the plane. Programming is not magic or the computer does 0 or does 1 look at the image below:

Regards,

Lucas

• This is just one texture in Aerofly, not 16.... And if you take this one texture and save it as a single 4096 x 4096 x 24 bit bitmap file and then convert it at that resolution all objects should be painted correctly.

Yes, it was just to tell Diego that if we separate the textures into 16 bmp and we only convert 1/16 of them, it would look like it's in the image!

Regards,

Lucas

• The converter checks for a model.tmc file inside the intermediate folder where the bitmap files are located.

If you don't have this file yet can create a simple text file with this content and save it as model.tmc.

Here is the example for the intermediate/a320/model.tmc file make sure that you change 'your_repaint_folder_here' to the repaint folder name that you want to convert.

The MaxTextureSize is the maximum resolution possible for the conversion for the textures listed below. Only files that are in that list are converted at that the set quality. Other files are converted in 2048 by 2048 pixel resolution per default, which is sufficient for 95% of all textures. We don't recommend converting all textures at sizes above 2048 because then the aircraft may no longer work on weaker systems and the file sizes and loading times increase a lot. Your graphics card memory may not be able to load all the files at once which could be an issue when loading the aircraft or you'll be able to load the aircraft just fine but get lower quality scenery as you approach the maximum vram. That means your graphics card also has to load more textures when needed which can cause loading stutters, etc. So pick the most important textures and leave it at that.

Excuse my ignorance but will this increase resolution?

To add 1/16 of the texture in the right place the program needs to know from you the delimitation of the region in which the texture has to be! The ttx file tells the simulator where the texture should be on the plane. Programming is not magic or the computer does 0 or does 1 look at the image below:

I really understand things are more complex

• This is not a bug at all, it's done by design because almost all textures are 2048 x 2048. Otherwise we'd have to specify the exact texture size for all of our models for all platforms we support. Instead we leave it at default resolution for the most part and only increase quality for the desktop version and only for textures where it's visible. That also means we can increase texture resolution once the hardware improves, without changing a single bitmap texture.

The converter checks for a model.tmc file inside the intermediate folder where the bitmap files are located.

Thank you so much! I used a similar code, but I didn't know to put in there this:

<[list_string8][Files][

a320_cpt_001_color

(I don't know if it even made any difference)

I tried this new code with the MaxTextureSize 4096 and 8192, but I still don't see a big difference, would there be any possibility for you to share any default livery 4096 or 8192 resolution file, maybe Air France or China Eastern, because these are mostly white, the ones that I'm using right now are from my 1080p screenshot, cropped to 960 and AI upscaled, and doesn't have any rivets and small details and doesn't look very good.

Regards,

Play

Regards,

PLΛY

Edited 3 times, last by P L A Y (June 18, 2021 at 12:38 AM).

• Official Post

I'm not allowed to share raw files of our products unless it's already part of an official repaint kit for example. So we'll have to wait for that to be uploaded together with the new converter.