• Jet-Pack (IPACS)

Hello,

I've flown arrivals into Schiphol using the STARS but not the dedicated ILS approach which has an unnecessary back-course.

-I set the course and frequency correctly and took a heading vector and tried to arm APP which didn't work.

-I was on the glideslope at around 2000ft.

I couldn't intercept the localiser and overshot the centreline.

I tried to approach like this.

What did I do wrong?

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

Edited 2 times, last by Thekingbuji333 (February 26, 2024 at 3:53 PM).

• ILS approaches are usually flown with front course, not back course. In back-course mode the glide slope is inhibited because it would be very dangerous if it is allowed to capture it accidentally.

Make sure you have set the correct approach course and ILS frequency, then the LOC and G/S mode should be available.

Regards,

Jan

• ILS approaches are usually flown with front course, not back course. In back-course mode the glide slope is inhibited because it would be very dangerous if it is allowed to capture it accidentally.

Make sure you have set the correct approach course and ILS frequency, then the LOC and G/S mode should be available.

I have the correct course set on the selection knobs as well as the frequency 110.50 for ILS06 but LOC and G/S didn't display and I couldn't arm APP mode. (I made a typo- It's not a back course but more a winding shape- IRL planes take vectors then can intercept the G/S which is what I tried to do)

-Thekingbuji333

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The pilots here captured the glideslope, but I don't know how they intercepted. I was flying at 1000ft which is the altitude of the F06 waypoint.

-Thekingbuji333

• Check the ILS frequency directly on the simulator instead of on the chart because, as the airac is out of date, the frequencies may not match. One time I was flying from KPAE to KOLM in Seattle when I noticed that the plane was not picking up the localizer frequency (I was on the KOLM frequency from the navigation chart). This card frequency is different from what appears in the simulator. For this reason I was unable to complete the ILS approach. After discovering this error, I tuned the ILS frequency that appears in the simulator and then the approach worked.

• Check the ILS frequency directly on the simulator instead of on the chart because, as the airac is out of date, the frequencies may not match. One time I was flying from KPAE to KOLM in Seattle when I noticed that the plane was not picking up the localizer frequency (I was on the KOLM frequency from the navigation chart). This card frequency is different from what appears in the simulator. For this reason I was unable to complete the ILS approach. After discovering this error, I tuned the ILS frequency that appears in the simulator and then the approach worked.

I usually use charts but this time I used the ILS frequency in the navigation menu- that didn't really help at all and I plan with the FMC anyway so it's not very immersive.

-Thekingbuji333