• I'm starting this thread because I'm seriously looking into buying the iPad Pro 9.7. However, I'm not sure how much performance I can get out of it, like how future-proof it is. IPACS developers, how long do you think this iPad would last me, before it would fall into today's iPad Air (mid-performance) category? How many features can you throw at it before it becomes laggy?

Also, the other option is the iPad Air 2. Obviously, the graphics of iPad Pro is much better, but the multi-core CPU performance doesn't show much of a gain, mainly because A8X is a tri-core CPU while A9X is a dual-core CPU. While single-core performance of A9X greatly beats A8X, that is mostly made up in A8X's extra core. Does Aerofly primarily run on 1 core, or does it equally use all the cores?

Thanks, and best of luck to future developments!

• The iPad Pro 9.7 should be a lot better compared to the iPad Air 2 if we look at the specifications, so it should run our next versions just fine. But keep in mind, Apple will publish new iOS devices each year that will be faster than previous iOS generations, so in 3 years from now on the iPad Pro 9.7 might be a "slow" device.

However it is our intention to support older devices in the future as well, so the iPad Pro 9.7 will probably run our simulators at least for the next 3-4 years.

Aerofly uses at least 2 cores, but due to the speed of the iPad Air 2 CPU we do not fully utilize them, so its no benefit to have a triple or quad core CPU. Its probably one reason why Apple decided to use a dual core only.

• We are not sure if we understand the question.

The GPU on the iPad Pro is probably quite a bit faster than the Air 2 GPU so we could in theory add more details.

Our PC version and the mobile version are built on the same code base, so in theory we could add more detail to our mobile version fairly quickly. Its just tricky to handle all the different devices properly and another limiting factor is the amount of space on iOS devices. Our upcoming PC version will have over 20 GB of data our mobile version will all In-App purchases is currently at 4,5 GB.

Anyway we might add more detail to newer iOS devices in future versions and updates.

• Thanks. I was just wondering if we bought an iPad Pro today, would we see an improvement in performance? Not extra detail, just higher framerate etc.? Or would you have to make changes to the code to see any improvement with the newer hardware?
    Also, I know you hate these questions but is the next mobile update coming soon? Those images of late have me yearning for the update! :)

• Well, on an iPad Air 2, Aerofly already runs with 60 FPS if the limit frame rate option is turned off. There are only random situations where the frame rate drops to around 40 FPS. So right now on an iPad Pro you will probably see stable 60 FPS due to its better specifications.

However we plan on adding new features for those fast devices. They will in turn reduce FPS but as long as we stay above 30, simulation will be smooth.

We cannot say when our next mobile update will be coming as we are in the final stages of our PC version and this is consuming all of our time. All aircraft are being reworked so you can directly use the cockpit and we also improve on the navigation feature. Besides that we plan to improve the graphics in various areas. We will have to do tests to see if we can also incorporate those features into the mobile version.a

• Thank You so much for your feedback, I would be most grateful for some information on the appropriate CPU type for future PC Aeros. You were kind enough to advise me to acquire a high performance graphics card and that very good results would be achieved with relatively modest CPUs. I am about to make-up a new PC and would like to know if an i7 would offer significant benefits over an i5? The other flight sim that I would use is steam FSX and I would not be biased towards an i7 for that software. Would the 2 core, no hyperthreading G3258 anniversary pentium be too limited for the new PC Aero?

• I wouldn't consider myself an expert on the topic of CPUs but I brought an i5-3570 (3.40Ghz) and not an i7 back then when I created my computer. If you want to use FSX to the full extend you will need the extra few percent of performance. Aerofly can benefit from the hyperthreading when its loading I think. Having an SSD is much more important for the loading time though...
    With somewhat decent settings my FSX reaches 30 FPS, while aerofly FS is maxed out and does 60 FPS :cool:

During runtime aerofly FS was able to deal with a 7 year old i3 laptop processor really well. From my understanding the aerofly FS 2 will perform just as good, because its core engine can scale down even to mobile devices.

Long story short:
    aerofly does not need a fast processor, FSX certainly does. If you plan to use FSX not just every now and then but regulary, i7 would be the option then. And choose one with a high frequency, FSX still uses only one CPU-core I think -

Cheers,
    Jan

• Thanks Jan, i3 is dual core with hyperthreading, sort of dual core with a 9/10 ths again? I was looking at an overclocked G3258 anniversary pentium straight dual core, running at 4.2 speed but the bundles that I have seen feature a very basic motherboard which would have limited upgrade potential. With single core steam FSX use (most of the time) how would a recent z 170 board and a 4.4-4.5 speed overclocked i5 sound?, should be fine with Aero.

• Thanks for the help with my new PC product selection. I am inclined to get a 4K2K monitor and am balanced between two models which offer 60 fps/24 fps and 60 fps/30fps based on using either a display port 1.2 or a HDMI lead. The 60/24 monitor offers G-Synch and the 60/30 one has more sophisticated photo, video and graphics colour control which I find appealing. I have seen on youtube excellent graphics where a display and the FSX sim were both set on 30 fps, a speed which would be poor for gaming but which I imagine is perfectly fine for a flight sim where motion is predictable and hopefully relatively slow.

Can I ask if the current and the in-development new PC Aeroflys allow fixed frame rate outputs which could synchronise with the fixed frame rate of a monitor or would a non G-Synch monitor be fed a hardware output of wild frame rates (by a 980 card) irrespective of which software frame rates the Aerofly program could be set at?

I imagine that at low frame rates image tear would be very obvious. I only have phone and tablet experience of four sub-versions of Aerofly.

• How about the GT750m 2GB in the rMBP 15? Workable?

I have a GTX 660 Ti and can max out every aerofly so far. Using this comparison webpage: http://www.hwcompare.com/17116/geforce-…eforce-gtx-750/ it looks like as if the GTX 750 (is that comparable to GT750m??) is quite a lot slower but should still do the job. Could be a limiting factor for the frame rate...

[...] I have seen on youtube excellent graphics where a display and the FSX sim were both set on 30 fps, a speed which would be poor for gaming but which I imagine is perfectly fine for a flight sim where motion is predictable and hopefully relatively slow.

Can I ask if the current and the in-development new PC Aeroflys allow fixed frame rate outputs which could synchronise with the fixed frame rate of a monitor or would a non G-Synch monitor be fed a hardware output of wild frame rates (by a 980 card) irrespective of which software frame rates the Aerofly program could be set at?

I imagine that at low frame rates image tear would be very obvious. I only have phone and tablet experience of four sub-versions of Aerofly.

Yes aerofly RC 5, aerofly RC 7, aerofly FS 1 and 2 do have vertical synchronization (VS). Since aerofly does not have such "slow-motion" physics as FSX you will be able to profit from higher frame-rates a lot. It looks a lot smother on 60 FPS when you do a fly-by than it does with only 30 FPS. Aerobatics and precision flight can only be done with 60+ FPS. I prefere VS (60 FPS lock) on, since it reduces tearing on my monitors...

Cheers,
    Jan

• If I expect a frame rate nearer to 30 than 60 when displaying 3840 X 2160 pixels even with a 980 graphics card, would V-Synch work well at 30/24 fps if using a HDMI lead or would I need to choose the G-Synch monitor with a display port 1.2 lead to display the achieved flexible frame rate?
    Hi again, nothing heard this past 24 hrs. I presume new PC Aerofly will not be able to fix real frame rates to the monitor and G-synch or Freesynch will be the way to maximise non tearing relatively low frame rate ultra high HD displays. I want to try 4k2k.
    There is a new generation of graphics cards coming out in the next couple of months. It makes sense to wait for a more powerful family. The buzz is that the Nvidea GTX 1080 will be announced in May. The speculation is that it would be equivalent to a 980 ti. I can see my Aero 2 PC rig in the mist.

Edited 5 times, last by Overloaded (April 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM).