Trying to learn how to make a flight plan, but . . . .

• I need some help on the picking and choosing method of building a flight plan using the Navigation screen. :confused:

What I would like to do is start at Geneva, fly and land at Samedan, then on to Zurich, land and takoff and fly to Bern. Land and takeoff and return to Geneva.

LSGG - LSZS - LSZH - LSZB - LSGG

Can someone give me some pointers on how this can be done? Can an initial or cruising ALT be set prior to takeoff?

Regards,

Ray

• Officially you can't plan a flight like that. A plan can only have one departure and one destination: as soon as you click another destination it will replace the previous one.

However, there is an easy work around that MIGHT work: it won't support automatic (!) ILS for any of the in between airports though and you also won't get automatic FAF's (the point 10 nm out of the runway you want to land on which is created automatically by the planner), but at least the plan will lead you to the desired airports. If it actually does work depends on little on the location of your airports.

It's really quite simple.

- Position your aircraft on the departure airport using Location.
    - Go to Navigation, click on the departure airport and choose your departure runway.
    - Click on the final destination airport and choose your landing runway (this CAN be the same airport, like in your case LSGG).

The basic plan is done now.

- Now click on the map close to the first airport you want to go to, in your case LSZS. Do NOT click ON the airport itself! You should see a flag icon appear on the map and on the right you should see that same flag icon plus coordinates and the option Add to route. Click on Add to route and your manual waypoint will be added to the route.
    - Repeat this for the other airports (in your case LSZH and LSZB).

Done!

You can of course try to position your manual waypoints in logical positions, like in front of the runway you want to land on (zoom in as much as you can do get this done properly). This of course won't let you use the ILS in for instance the Airbus but you should be able to do it with the Baron in which you can set the ILS freq yourself.

Initial cruising altitudes can be set in the plane itself, not in the plan.

P.S. I don't own Switzerland so I couldn't test if your desired airports will cause any problems: the order of the waypoints might change depending on the distances, but well, just give it a shot. ;) It DOES work in the default region anyway.

• Thanks Jeroen,

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't figured out how to get rid of the little white flags, though.

I did figure that part out before I posted the thread. In the choices to show on the Nav screen the first triangle (intersection) seems to be the most prominent and can be used to get the closest to where you want to stretch the route line. The VORs and NDBs can be used to fill in some of the spaces.

This sure is a limitation, as it.

Regards,

Ray

• Hm, I am not sure if I am following you...;) You say you are limited to adding intersections, VORs and ndb's to the plan...? My point is that you aren't. You can click anywhere on the map and add that exact point, even if it is in the middle of nowhere, to your plan... there is no limitation at all.

You do not have to pick the closest VOR or whatever: you can pick the EXACT point you want! And you can stretch the route line to any position you want too.

EDIT
    I tested it all some more and a little problem is that the program itself automatically connects all the waypoints: you can't change the order manually so this limits the idea a bit. But well... it is an option.

• Jeroen,

The limitation is that you are limited to one takeoff and one landing for a flight plan. Southwest Airlines would have gone out of business the first day of operation if they had to work with that.

I would like to see the system go to LEGS.

Flight Plan - Geneva - Geneva
    Leg1 Geneva - Samedan, Leg2 Samedan - Zurich, Leg 3 Zurich - Bern, Leg 4 Bern - Geneva.

Now that would make a lot more sense to me.

Just wait 'til that Q400 shows up and the crews see they have to have a new flight plan for every single leg of a days work. Regionals might have 4 or 5 landings on each run.

Regards,

Ray

• Thanks Overloaded,

Yes, I noticed that right away. I can use the Location screen to set up the distance and altitude for the approaches. The scenery is generally very nice though.

Regards,

Ray

• Aaaah, legs, yes, I understand. And yes, the planner is very basic. Though very good and easy to use too btw. Specially compared with other sims planners (or lack of planner).

• Currently the planner is rather a very basic took for easily feeding a route in an airliner while the FMC is not fearured or in a very basic way, what virtual airline simmers would call arcade game.

The tool would be better suited to GA if you could choose a departure and a destination airport with a straight leg from and to the AD, instead of the 20 nautical miles cross-country navigation outbound to perform an airliner departure / approach.
    In real life you fly as straight as desirable towards your destination AD until an entry point of your approach chart. Afterwards you fly according to the VAC if visual or IAC if IFR...

Cheers
    Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Or you may just simply wish to fly a loop around Switzerland and land at a few iconic airports to see the detail and maybe count the static aircraft, while becoming familiar with the Navigation page. ;)

Regards,
    Ray

• Well, most of the few featured Swiss AD'S are flat empty, unfortunately...

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Well, most of the few featured Swiss AD'S are flat empty, unfortunately...

Hopefully, that shortcoming can be corrected with the recently updated SDK.

Regards,

Ray