Having trouble creating a "difficult" airport with AC3D

• Hi developers:

If you look at the picture, my airport is on the top of a mountain and the AFS2 mesh is not detailed enough to get a better match with the cuts of the terrain, and as you could see the runway has ups and downs which makes impossible to take-off or land on it. I tried to recreate the airport with the google maps images and AC3D but after finishing and going to AFS2 most of the added buildings are not shown, while others barely show. I suppose this would need some kind of flattening of the complete airport surface to properly work with AC3D and after with AFS2.

Any thoughts?.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi Ed,

the __airport__runway uses a polynom of the 5.degree for flattening the runway, the __airport__outside is only slightly flattened.

If this is insufficient I suggest to rename the __airport__outside to outside__airport__runway to get a better flattening.

You may try to attach a texture to it, I don't know yet what the result will be.

If this gives nethertheless an unsatisfactory result of the surface, we may need a better ground mesh of aerofly . Currently we can't do this.

Rodeo

• Hi Rodeo:

As a feedback on the issue reported, please see the enclosed pic. Things are much better now, since I have all the buildings showing up correctly. There're still several problems with the airport and the buildings, but I think the mesh is the main problem and understand not much can be done.

When I was testing, got to the conclusion that the buildings and other objects were correct and did not have any errors, the issue was that they were not appearing when the scenery was loading up in AFS2. When that happened I had to change location to a place I know the buildings and all objects showed-up correctly (my Destin KDTS airport in FL) and then change the location back to this airport (SVCS), then all the textures loaded up and the buildings appeared (except the static aircraft, that loaded up ok since the beginning). Obviously this was something totally unexpected for me. Do you have a previous experience with a similar problem in AFS2 when loading textures?.

Dust is clearing out now for me.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi Ed

I know FS2 uses an objects pivot point to place objects in the sim so perhaps remaking the scenery mesh as suggested moved the mesh down to where the buildings where. in other words the buildings were correctly placed just the mesh was slightly out in some areas.

Steve

• Hi Ed

I know FS2 uses an objects pivot point to place objects in the sim so perhaps remaking the scenery mesh as suggested moved the mesh down to where the buildings where. in other words the buildings were correctly placed just the mesh was slightly out in some areas.

Steve

The issue that remains keeping me crazy is that object textures (except those of the aircraft, because it seems they're very simple models) are only loaded when you change your location to another "complex" airport and then you go back to the original. At the beginning I thought I had a problem with the construction of the scenery itself, but then I realized the scenery is apparently Ok, and that the issue is the textures loading process inside AFS2.

Cheers, Ed

• Rodeo  drhotwing1 (IPACS) please, do you have any input concerning the issue about texures loading inside AFS2 reported here:

When I was testing, got to the conclusion that the buildings and other objects were correct and did not have any errors, the issue was that they were not appearing when the scenery was loading up in AFS2. When that happened I had to change location to a place I know the buildings and all objects showed-up correctly (my Destin KDTS airport in FL) and then change the location back to this airport (SVCS), then all the textures loaded up and the buildings appeared (except the static aircraft, that loaded up ok since the beginning). Obviously this was something totally unexpected for me. Do you have a previous experience with a similar problem in AFS2 when loading textures?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

• Hi Ed,

thanks for reminding me to your question.

Can you please give me some more information about the buildings?

1. Are these cultivation buildings from a TOC file?

2.Xref buildings placed in AC3D?

3. buildings created in AC3D as 3D objects with separate texture files?

I now know, that the xref libraries have a coordinate range entry. Perhaps this is the reason at least for version 2. Fortunately we can easily edit this.

Rodeo

• Hi Ed,

during office time I have no access to my aerofly pc.

So I have to suggest this from memory:

Look for the xref libraries in the original aerofly installation folder, not the \documents folder.

You'll find a TSC file, make a safety copy and edit the coordinate values.

You will be able to identify the section in the TSC files.

Also you will see a library covering the full world from -180 to +180 lon and +85 to -85 lat.

If you enter these values into the area limited library, it will be available all around the world.

Rodeo