New Samsung VR headset revealed: No screen door effect?

• It appears that Samsung has been spotted preparing a new headset that directly tackles the dreaded VR screen door effect. Read the whole things here: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odysse…ti-sde-display/

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/2159/pgGJ8E.jpg]

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Pimax has set the new standard for next gen. Hopefully other companies can catch up quick with ppi and fov.

I honestly think Pimax may have misstepped, and made a headset whos requirements are simply too high. We'll see.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• HiFlyer,

I'm curious about your comment regarding PiMax 5K+ - "making requirements too high" - since the SweVer reports look quite encouraging especially when the PiMax "ASW" gets fully implemented. It seems that a 2K x 2K ( times 2 for each eye ) image at 45 fps can be generated OK by a 1080ti or better with appropriate settings - especially for AFS2.

Dave W.

• I think Samsung is waiting for 1) more powerful GPUs and 2) more VR consumers (via Oculus Go, etc) before they introduce a true Odyssey-2 . Maybe a year from now they'll announce that it will use their 4K, 120-Hz prototype display ...

https://pocketnow.com/samsung-4k-vr-display-1200-ppi

• HiFlyer,

I'm curious about your comment regarding PiMax 5K+ - "making requirements too high" - since the SweVer reports look quite encouraging especially when the PiMax "ASW" gets fully implemented. It seems that a 2K x 2K ( times 2 for each eye ) image at 45 fps can be generated OK by a 1080ti or better with appropriate settings - especially for AFS2.

Dave W.

I'll see what happens with the asw, but for now, I see him having to make quite a few compromises to get stuff running acceptably.

Devons rig

• It appears that Samsung has been spotted preparing a new headset that directly tackles the dreaded VR screen door effect. Read the whole things here: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odysse…ti-sde-display/

[Blocked Image: https://imageshack.com/a/img923/2159/pgGJ8E.jpg]

Aerofly FS2 runs on Pimax 5K+ beautifully at max setting. I think they must have already implemented a certain ASW.

• Aerofly FS2 runs on Pimax 5K+ beautifully at max setting. I think they must have already implemented a certain ASW.

i know you've provided info before but so its definitive could you post a screenshot for your settings of 'max'? Inc. s/s. I presume you don't mean over Netherlands? I get occasional stutters on ultra & 1.7 over Netherlands with Rift on 1080ti.

I wonder is there a definitive non-subjectve way of assessing how well a vr headset is performing under defined conditions? FPS doesn't seem adequate especially as it excludes block cultivation loading stutters.

• i know you've provided info before but so its definitive could you post a screenshot for your settings of 'max'? Inc. s/s. I presume you don't mean over Netherlands? I get occasional stutters on ultra & 1.7 over Netherlands with Rift on 1080ti.

I wonder is there a definitive non-subjectve way of assessing how well a vr headset is performing under defined conditions? FPS doesn't seem adequate especially as it excludes block cultivation loading stutters.

By "max" I mean in-game graphics settings of FS2 all maxed out.

It's Orbx TrueEarth Netherland, Amsterdam Intl Airport, My computer is I7 4790K@4.2, 32g. The older video card is Asus GTX 1080 Strix.

PiTool 1.5 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 36 2080Ti: 48

PiTool 2.0 SteamVR SS 40% 1080: 30 2080Ti: 42

The framerate may not look optimal, but the actual experience is quite smooth and very playable. That's the reason why I am suspecting that Pimax may have already implemented some sort of "brainwarp".

That's with my old 4790K. Yesterday my 9900K arrived. I run the same scenery and the framerate jumped to around 76, without any overclocking. There are more potentials.

• Pretty impressive. If "all maxed out" = Ultra on everything and Insane on the shadows, then its amazing.

I'm not familiar with SteamVR SS. Does 40% mean 40% of full or +40% i.e. ~ 140%

Then there's the VR setting in FS2. Is that on 1.0 ?

Surely you get occasional loading stutters in the Netherlands like I do?

• Pretty impressive. If "all maxed out" = Ultra on everything and Insane on the shadows, then its amazing.

I'm not familiar with SteamVR SS. Does 40% mean 40% of full or +40% i.e. ~ 140%

Then there's the VR setting in FS2. Is that on 1.0 ?

Surely you get occasional loading stutters in the Netherlands like I do?

Yes all ultra. Aerofly FS 2 is crazy. I played X-plane on medium setting and the framerate is 20 something with Orbx TrueEarth UK South ( yet it's still playable).

As for the SteamVR setting, it's complicated as it's working side by side with Pimax PiTool, and the the factor is changing with each PiTool version. You can check this thread for the actual resolution with my settings: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/its-here-208…ane-11-fps/8889

• Yes all ultra. Aerofly FS 2 is crazy. I played X-plane on medium setting and the framerate is 20 something with Orbx TrueEarth UK South ( yet it's still playable).

As for the SteamVR setting, it's complicated as it's working side by side with Pimax PiTool, and the the factor is changing with each PiTool version. You can check this thread for the actual resolution with my settings: http://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/its-here-208…ane-11-fps/8889

Thanks. I see. So you're not actually getting a "5K" image, you're getting 40% of the actual resolution of the headset. Great for FOV but doesn't it undermine much of the benefit of going high res? Is it playable on 100%?

I also find it interesting how much a CPU upgrade improves things. I thought FS2 was very easy going on the CPU and it was all about GPU.

• Cat is now out of the bag: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/h…xe800zba-hc1us/

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

• The Odyssey+ looks attractive and may be somewhat better than the Rift as far as image quality - at least it is quite a bit cheaper than Pimax5k+

Please, if anyone using AFS2 tries the Odyssey+ out, report it on this forum like Frui (lucky guy !!) has done for the Pimax5k+

• I have an Odyssey OG and Pimax 8K/5K+, and I should say they are not in the same league, resolution and FOV wise. My understanding is that Odyssey+ will have zero SDE, but SDE is not an intruding issue of Pimax either. The effective resolution is significantly higher on 5K+. 8K has almost the same effective resolution as Odyssey OG, or just a bit higher than the latter, but it's SDE is smaller. And the FOV, it's no comparison. FOV and resolution matter for flight sim more than other VR apps.