Pimax ─ necessary 'Parallel Projection' option prohibits Fixed Foveated Rendering (FFR)

• Unfortunately FS2 is one of those games/simulations that only work with Pimay when its 'parallel projection' option is checked. But according to Pimax (https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/about-60-70-…-rtx2080ti/9072) that option reduces performance by about 30%. Even worse: with Parallel Projection checked FFR (fixed foveated rendering) won't work. Both options combined amount to a performance gain/loss of up to 60% (FFR comes with 3 levels).
    Pimax notes that older games are more likely to ask for parallel projection. But FS2 certainly belongs to a modern kind of game (now even with tentative support of Vulcan!), whereas the older DCS 2.5 doesn't need the option and in the wake of that allows for FFR! Is it maybe Unity vs (older versions of) Unreal?

Are devs conscious about that fact and are there any plans of bringing the FS2 graphic engine "up-to-date"?

• Once Pimax get's their SDK done in a cleaner way and fo we might consider their approach of rendering to VR. As of right now they are only targetting Unity or Unreal which Aerofly FS doesn't use. We have our own rendering engine.

But the 35% performance improvement you mention here, does not hold for Aerofly FS. Using a fast NVIDIA type card we are not pixel shader limited so we won't see that much of a performance benefit.

And to clarify it, Aerofly FS is fully compatible with Pimax, but we have not invested into any special VR optimizations for these VR glasses.

• I’ve since deleted FS2. Looks terrible in the Pimax. No decent helo’s to fly either. I’ll likely reinstall it in a couple of years when it’s up to scratch.

Strange, I can't agree with that. I find FS2 looks very good in the Pimax, with normal and wide FOV. I also flew the Robinson and the wide FOV helped me a lot in manoeuvering. It's just that ANY potential performance gain missed makes me cry ;)

Forgot to mention I’ve also got a motion platform which also isn’t supported.

May I ask which platform you use. The G-Seat by Geko is supported and I think there are quite a few more platforms around that (should) support FS2.

Once Pimax get's their SDK done in a cleaner way and fo we might consider their approach of rendering to VR.

But the 35% performance improvement you mention here, does not hold for Aerofly FS. Using a fast NVIDIA type card we are not pixel shader limited so we won't see that much of a performance benefit.

And to clarify it, Aerofly FS is fully compatible with Pimax, but we have not invested into any special VR optimizations for these VR glasses.

Yes, it is fully compatible with Pimax, I agree. It's just like I've said above: ANY potential performance gain missed makes me cry...

I'm not sure if Parallel Projection is about number of pixel shaders. I thought that in the new angled projection you need to render a smaller field for each eye, there is no or less shortfall of rendered pixels.

I have no experience with Pimax's SDK, but if it is as badly and rudimentary documented as everything else, I'd certainly wait for an improvement.

• As users of flight sims are more likely to opt for Pimax for its better clarity and FOV, you might investigate more into these new generation of headsets which might have compatibility problems.

Once Pimax get's their SDK done in a cleaner way and fo we might consider their approach of rendering to VR. As of right now they are only targetting Unity or Unreal which Aerofly FS doesn't use. We have our own rendering engine.

• I have flown with the Pimax 5k+ now for about 3 weeks, and I simply do not understand the people who state that it "looks terrible" or that "performance is decreased 60%". I have buttersmooth graphics in AFS2 with a sensational Field-Of-View that literally makes it feel like you are IN the world of flying. Also - to say that there are "no decent helicopters" in AFS2 is ludicrous to say the least. The R22 is quite simply BRILLIANT with external and internal modelling that is drop-dead gorgeous and a flight model that is second to (almost) none (the only exception being the DreamFoil B407 in X-plane 11). I still miss motion in AFS2 and hope that the dev-team doesn't forget about us, but graphics performance in VR - in Pimax - is not something I'd ever criticise, as there simply is no better alternative out there.

Flying A330 as a day-job and enjoy VR-flying with PIMAX 5k+. NextLevelRacing v.3 Motion platform, Watercooled and overclocked i9-9900k, 32Gb 3600RAM, Samsung 970EVO Pro 2Tb m.2, nVidia RTX-2080Ti FE, Thrustmaster HOTAS, VKB pedals, Cockpitforyou motorised throttle quadrant, Precision Flight Controls Jetliner column

• DOF Reality 2 Dof. Managed to get simtools to follow my joystick inputs, which was a mammoth task in itself. Very jerky movement though which I cannot seem to eliminate with filter settings. DCS World.

Funny but the image quality is very blurry through my 5K+,(AFS2) especially in the distance. Frames are smooth though. Runways are completely blurred until final descent. Running a i7 9700 5ghz. 1080. SSD built into mobo.

Sorry but an R22 does not cut it for me. I want something a little bigger. Chinook would be nice.

• DOF Reality 2 Dof. Managed to get simtools to follow my joystick inputs, which was a mammoth task in itself. Very jerky movement though which I cannot seem to eliminate with filter settings. DCS World.

Funny but the image quality is very blurry through my 5K+,(AFS2) especially in the distance. Frames are smooth though. Runways are completely blurred until final descent. Running a i7 9700 5ghz. 1080. SSD built into mobo.

Sorry but an R22 does not cut it for me. I want something a little bigger. Chinook would be nice.

That's very hard to understand. Most users of flight sim are reporting good clarity with Pimax 5K+. What's your SteamVR and Pitool setting?

• I’ve since deleted FS2. Looks terrible in the Pimax. No decent helo’s to fly either. I’ll likely reinstall it in a couple of years when it’s up to scratch.

Hi there, may I ask are you using "Wide FOV" option in pitools? This doesn't work correctly with Parallel Projection on currently as it will set the rendered resolution beyond the limits of steamvr. As such the end result is a slightly blurred image. "Normal FOV" works fine though. I have been using my 5k+ on all sorts of games and AFS2 works flawlessly at the moment with incredible graphics when using the true earth pack from orbx or others. It would be nice if AFS2 supports cantered displays natively so we don't need parallel projection enabled, but it still manages fine currently on a 1080ti and provides an experience no other VR headset or sim can currently match (visually and performance wise).