VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support and it works flawlessly with Aerofly FS2

• Hi guys,

I found a super cool tool, which is called VRK (stands for Virtual kneeboard) and I wanted to share the information with you.

With this program you can use your own PDF's or JPEG'S for Checklists or Navigational Charts or you combine it with a pen tablet (like I did) and you can make notes directly on the virtual kneeboard during flight in VR.

The software ist free (but you can give the author a little donation for it and I would suggest it, because it is really worth it). I tested VRK in combination with my HP Reverb and Aerofly FS2 and it works like charm on my system (no noticable impact on performance or any instabilities). I can highly recommend it.

The download is available from this website:

https://www.amvi.it/download429-vr-kneeboard.html

For further information it put the following description/explanation from a thread at the DCS-Forum where I found it:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246970

I hope you have fun with it and stay healthy,

All the best,

Thomas

• Thanks for the headup.

Can this be used to import a Moving Map Program like FSWidgets' GMapHD into the cockpit?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz / Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER / Kingston 32 GB DDR4 / Samsung SSD M.2 500 GB + Samsung SSD 1 TB + Intel SSD 500 GB (AeroflyFS2) + WD HD 6 TB / EVGA GTX 1080Ti 11 GB / LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440 / HP Reverb / Win 10/64

• Yep, it works. Not too fiddly to set up. I even had an old wacom pen tablet lying around. I haven’t worked out yet whether I can load in a notepad TXT file which would be quite handy.

edit: No option yet on the TXT file import. I am very tempted to get a Bluetooth pen tablet now to strap to my knee,. Found this useful video.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• OK, I've spent a bit of time with this app and it really does provide what we need in VR. Using the buttons at the top can be a bit confusing at first. What I find works best is to make a folder on your desktop where you'll store everything you need for a flight. You might have the following:

• Approach plate/airport chart for destination airport
    • A txt file holding any notes you have made printed to PDF
    • Some screengrabs from skyvector saved as JPGs

Then in VRK hit this button and all the files will be loaded as pages into a tab and you can step back and forth through the pages of this tab. I think with this method you just get page 1 of the PDF, but for multiple page PDFs use a 2nd tab loaded in with the PDF icon. I now plan to buy a Wacom Intuos S (bluetooth) so I can use finger gestures to zoom in on the charts while in flight. Edit: Intuos S does not support ‘multi-touch’ needed for two finger zoom/pan but you can do the same with the pen.

• Its all static. You’d need ovrdrop or something similar. The problem I find with those apps is a clash between control inputs. The mouse being confused about interacting with FS2 or the app. Here the tablet talks directly to the app bypassing mouse interaction. The developer is very active there and I could see it being extended to add more functionality.

Maybe @Jet-Pack pack could get involved here. Jan, you have been saying for about two years that PDF rendering is a problem. This guy has cracked it and maybe he would work with/for iPACS to integrate his technology fully into the sim and add more features.

• Can you insert a moving map into this? I could really do with one in VR.

i’ve just been on Discord with the developer. He said:

Ah well FYI mirroring an app is something is something that is the TODO, I just have to be sure that I can emulate the mouse with the pen passing through VRK

• Essentially yes. The clever trick behind this guy’s approach is to use a pen tablet as the interface for the kneeboard. This avoids the conflict of a mouse getting confused with whether it is interacting with the sim or the kneeboard app. So, he is saying that he needs to make the kneeboard pen drive the app - moving map, 3rd party, whatever.

• Hi everybody,

Excellent, I will buy one asap.

Does the "Wacom One Small" version work too with VRK ? It seems there is same surface for the pen for a smaller total size.

Are the left buttons on the intuos S version mandatory for VRK ?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

JPX

Edited once, last by jpx (April 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM).

• You'll want the buttons - I've dug out a very old wacom (which does work - needs the driver installed) and not having the buttons is a pain for stepping through different pages. I'm now loading in airport charts, snips from skyvector, screengrabs from google maps.... You can click some nav buttons with the pen but I'd rather not use(drop) the pen unless I need to draw

• So it should work too with the one small.

Thanks for your interesting advice Phil ;) I do'nt know if I will keep the pen in my hand or not right now specially if I invest too in the leapmotion (supported by aerofly? )...

Does the bluetooth work so well than is usb mode ?

Cheers

Edited once, last by jpx (April 9, 2020 at 5:55 PM).

• So it should work too with the one small.

Thanks for your interesting advice Phil ;) I do'nt know if I will keep the pen in my hand or not right now specially if I invest too in the leapmotion...

Does the bluetooth work so well than is usb mode ?

Cheers

Even if you don't write notes on the tablet with a pen you'll probably need the pen to control zoom & pan.

USBvBT: I'm waiting for my Intuos S, so my only experience is with the USB tablet. Hey let me know how you get on with leapmotion - I'd really like to get controller-less hand interaction working.

For those who don't have or want to get a pen tablet, you don't actually need one. You can still see the kneeboard but your options for interacting with it are reduced. You can still page through the content by mapping joystick buttons to page up/down but for the authentic and tactile feel of interacting with a kneeboard I think its a great solution and having the buttons on the kneepad itself makes a lot of sense. The one thing I really wish it had was multi-touch for zoom and pan the way and ipad/android tablet does with your fingers. The developer initially started with that in mind but it became too technically complex and he reverted to using the pen tablet as a more basic input controller, like a type of mouse really.

• Even if you don't write notes on the tablet with a pen you'll probably need the pen to control zoom & pan.

USBvBT: I'm waiting for my Intuos S, so my only experience is with the USB tablet. Hey let me know how you get on with leapmotion - I'd really like to get controller-less hand interaction working.

For those who don't have or want to get a pen tablet, you don't actually need one. You can still see the kneeboard but your options for interacting with it are reduced. You can still page through the content by mapping joystick buttons to page up/down but for the authentic and tactile feel of interacting with a kneeboard I think its a great solution and having the buttons on the kneepad itself makes a lot of sense. The one thing I really wish it had was multi-touch for zoom and pan the way and ipad/android tablet does with your fingers. The developer initially started with that in mind but it became too technically complex and he reverted to using the pen tablet as a more basic input controller, like a type of mouse really.

Phil,

I just read that the "wacom one" version doesn't have the multi touch, but it seems not be used by VRK right know. so ...

• I have discussed this at length with the developer. The only wacom these days that has multitouch is that Intuos M. It is expensive though and the developer hasn’t tested it

• Not sure that Aerofly support knuckles skeletal tracking yet. It seems to be mandatory for leapmotion integration ?!

But perhaps this leapmotion controler emulator can do the job like with DCS : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250038

you have seen that the VRK download includes a leap motion integration i presume?