App eats battery/ipad runs very hot!

• Hi,

I find that the app runs the battery down very quickly - I am running on an iPad 3. It also runs extremely hotmail so much so that you have to turn it down and let it cool down at times... Does anyone else find this? I don't think my iPad is faulty because I don't have any problems with other 3D games...

• Cranking up the brightness when playing games can also drain the battery a lot quicker too. I have an iPhone 6 and the most I've experienced is the device gets a little warm after prolonged use when playing Aerofly/Infinite Flight, but that's to be expected. I've never experienced a device running hot. Now that is a tad worrying. Especially if the OP has to turn the device off to let it cool down as he mentions.

• On a phone you will ruin your battery life as the frequent recharges will reach the max cycle life early. Can you use a charger while Aeroflying? The brightness might be less important than making sure the limit frame rates is selected. I more or less killed my android phone battery using Infinite Flight, X planes and Real Racing 2. It would have been worse if Aerofly FS was out on android.

• I left AF2 running on my works iPhone 5 when plugged in so I could test flying round the globe. With brightness up, it got very hot. It gets warm on the IPhone 6 but more localised and not as warm. I have the brightness turned down and limit framerate turned on. Never noticed it in my iPad Air 2 or mini 2 but they both have a decent case on. Will try the 5s today.

• As Aerofly uses a lot more resources of an iOS device than other games do, its normal that the device will get hot.

The slower the device, the hotter it will get. The reason is that these iOS device are maxed out with respect to CPU and GPU and run at all the power they have. The faster the iOS device is, the more time the CPU and GPU have to take a small 'nap'.

On fast iOS device please leave 'limit frame rate' to on, as it will greatly help to preserve battery.

• So is it bad for my phone to play aerofly while not plugged in?

I wouldn't say so, just means you need to recharge more often. I think the iPhone is rated for around 500 full recharge cycles before you would see any degradation which means a daily recharge would see you get over a year and a half before that may potentially be an issue.

• 500 cycles sounds like 500 days, almost 2 years but intense gaming will quickly flatten the battery and there goes a cycle. If you are happy to buy an expensive original full quality new battery (you get what you pay for) every eight months then there will be no problem. Some new phones have sealed cases as few people fit new batteries.

• For most original replacement batteries you pay for the brand not for the product. The batteries are probably even manufactured in the same factory. Sure the expensive original batteries have better warranty... But the cheaper ones are not bad!

I replaced the battery of my ("sealed") smartphone about a year ago. I chose a cheap one and it does its job really well!

On that note: I don't believe that any app can repair lithium ion batteries in a smartphone or tablet. Those batteries don't have the memory effect that NiMH and NiCd batteries have. What apps can do is help you as a user to stay in the green zone for the battery. Draining the battery lower than 30% and keeping it charged higher than 70% reduces the life time. Don't hesitate to recharge a LiIo batterie multiple times a day. Those fractions of reloading don't count as a full cycle! So loading a battery 5x incrementally does count as much as loading it once all the way.

To your question: If your battery percentage gets as low as 30% you can plug the cable. If its loaded to 70% continiue to play with battery only. That is the most gentle way of doing it I think.

Regards,

Jan