Aerofly 2 on lower end devices vs higher end ones

• Hi, since I only have an iPad mini 1 I can't get the special graphics and I don't really know what they look like so I have made this thread to show some of the differences between the graphics I get and the graphics you can get on an air2/6+. There are probably other people who haven't seen the difference yet so hopefully this thread will be useful. It would be great if people could post screenshots stating the device they are using and maybe roughly where they are.
    Thanks, Tristan

• Your shadows look better. I had zoomed in a bit more. More subtle control surface joins would be better in both. The clarity of San Jose, seen in my last and your second pic must be due to different device available memory downloading when getting the app. I suppose more memory is always useful, I'm at an age where my personal memory is getting less!
    I was lucky to hold off my mini purchase as I liked the 2000x1500 (roughly) display of the then top full-size iPad but wanted a pocketable mini. I like the retina instrument clarity, zoomed in, it is so authentic.

• Hi, unfortunately I was impatient and didn't wait for the iPad mini 2 to come out so I got the 1 about 4 months before the 2 came out. I hadn't seen what retina was like then but now I wish I had it! I only found out about aerofly around 6 months after having my iPad so when I bought it I didn't think I would need the extra memory of the iPad mini 2. Another thing I wish I had is 32gb of storage - I ran out a lot faster than I thought I would. "The clarity of San Jose, seen in my last and your second pic must be due to difference device available memory when downloading the app." Do you mean that aerofly sorts out graphics settings based on how much available memory there is when you download the app? So if I had aerofly 1 and a load of other high memory consuming apps open when I downloaded AF2 do you think I would get worse graphics? That would be interesting because I could well have previously been using AF1 when I downloaded 2.

• I just tried to recreate those shots on my ipad but I found I just couldn't get that orangey pinkish hazey sunset light! I tried pretty much every time setting near 3:45 but you will see how close I got below. I also found that when I put the plane on the very same runway as the first pic, I couldn't see the buildings from San Francisco in the distance even on the furthest distance setting.

the reflections on the side of the fuselage look great here

As you can see in this comparison the higher end graphics work MUCH better in darker light. The mini 1 scenery graphics are much to dark compared with how bright the sky is.

• I also have an iPad mini retina and I am impressed by it although you can notice the difference between it and the iPad Air 2. I have read that apple or an another tablet manufacturer is developing technology where the camera at the top will track your eye movement so it can scrol drown when you reach the end of a page. This technology would mean you could pan around the cockpit by looking like TrackIR. I will buy a new ipad as soon as this technology is available.

Gary

• Hi, I have been out most of today and I was suprised by all the posts that have been flooding in! Even as I am writing this, I have just got a notification of a new post here. Overloaded my night lightning and shadows are fine, it is just at sunset/sunrise that the ground seems far too dark. On my earlier post I was referring to RAM but I didn't word it very well; to many difference kinds of memory! On retina, the little squares and lines (aliases?) are much less visible but without retina you really notice them, particularly on the baron.

This is the baron on Aerofly 1

This is the baron on Aerofly 2
    The white lines around the instruments on the AF2 version must be some sort of extra detail that looks good when you have retina, but without retina, it draws too much attention to the pixels due to the contrast between the white lines and the black background. I wonder if this picture shows this if you view it on a retina screen.

• Hi Gary, that is interesting to know about the eye recognising camera thing because I was wondering whether it would be worth getting one of the future generation of iPads or getting an iPad mini 2. I don't think there is much memory difference between the iPad mini 2 and the 3, the only difference seems to be the Touch ID which I'm not too bothered about since it costs and extra £100 or so.

• Another thing is that the resolution is not increased by antialiasing, it might be slightly reduced.

True, but that is the price you pay to reduce stair-casing in images, which is why it is applied to fonts (and the like) where it is more important not to have jaggedness due to aliasing artifacts that it is to have an absolutely sharp edge. If you have aliasing with high resolution images, the sharp edge belongs to the jags rather than the contour of the object. So your only alternatives are super high res with jags, or pretty high res without jags…

You raise an interesting point, though. If the resolution of your display is so good that using antialiasing is unnecessary, then using it might actually make the image a little worse! I always have anti-aliasing on in Aerofly FS, but it never occurred to me that that might not be optimal. In which case you are taking a hit on the frame rate for no good reason. Something to test out...