Version 1.06 of GeoConvert Helper is available

• Please note that this tool is NOT an IPACS tool but rather a 3rd party user created tool to help ease the geoconvert process. If there are any issues derived from using this tool it's difficult for us to assist you with them.

I may test with the use of this tool to learn more about it and assist better. I may also add this tool to the downloads section if it's stable and a good solution to ease the process.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Uwe,

Just wondering what the coordinates that you produce in the new area represent - they are close to our extents (N,E,S,W) but not exactly the coordinates in our INF files.

By the way, has anyone solved the higher resolution insert border problems - 4 meters per pixel surrounding area with a 1 meter per pixel higher res close to the airport. Sometimes I get very low res (default) borders showing through and sometimes I don't.

Thanks much

Dave

• Hello Dave,

i think the discrepancy is the result of the varying accuracy of degrees and decimal degrees.

GeoConvert Helper reads the total area from PartialFSEarthTiles.ini in degrees, minutes and seconds and converts the numbers to decimal degrees.

Coordinates in degrees, minutes and seconds in general are less precise than coordinates with 12 decimal places.

Regards

Uwe

• Uwe,

Maybe you can figure out a way to help with the high resolution insert (1 meter per pixel inside of a 4 meter per pixel) problem which is that we need to use smaller (slightly more toward/inside the center of an FSET area) TMC coordinates than that of level 14 (for example) tile edges. I think it might require an algorithm from IPACS to calculate those edges. Otherwise we get masks that ruin the appearance along the edge of the insert.

Thanks for your tool

Dave W.

• I tried 1.06, really easy now I don't have to move all tif files around anymore :)

Now I did it on my second computer with only 16GB ram so GeoConvertor got the error but I knew that was going to happen.

The helper did it's job perfectly, thanks!!

• Uwe,

Maybe you can figure out a way to help with the high resolution insert (1 meter per pixel inside of a 4 meter per pixel) problem which is that we need to use smaller (slightly more toward/inside the center of an FSET area) TMC coordinates than that of level 14 (for example) tile edges. I think it might require an algorithm from IPACS to calculate those edges. Otherwise we get masks that ruin the appearance along the edge of the insert.

Thanks for your tool

Dave W.

Hello Dave,

the next version GeoConvert Helper will allow to define two areas with different detail levels. Maybe this will simplify the creation of a high resolution insert, but it will not solve the problem as such.

I think we need to know how the tiles in FS 2 are defined to prevent the creation of masks.

Regards

Uwe

• I think we need to know how the tiles in FS 2 are defined to prevent the creation of masks.

Yes, it is important for the further development of scenery.

All tiles are 2048 x 2048 pixels. Is the entire globe divided into a fixed grid pattern adapted to this tile dimension?

It appears that all aerial photos that come outside this hidden 2048 x 2048 grid automatically get a mask.

Please inform us.

• Maybe not the right thread... but 1.06 was involved.

My first tries went not good due to the memory problem of GeoConvert itself so I installed a little program called "mem reduct"

that cleans unused RAM when it goes above 90% (you can change that)

Sometimes it went completely bazooka but it kept the process going on my 16 GB computer even with FSET downloading.

I have to admit that after a few failures on my 32GB computer this afternoon I started thinking it might be the new helper..

Sorry for that.

• admoore63

I've tested this tool in various situations and I have to say well done. I'll add this to the downloads section (as a 3rd party tool) to make it easier for users to get to it. You will need to support the tool yourself though.

When you have updates to the tool just email the updated files HERE and follow the instructions listed under 'user created content'

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Uwe,

One option in GeoConvert that has really helped me build a high resolution (level 14 or 15) insert correctly without any mask tiles is the "images_raw" option. It adds the following lines to the top area of the TMC file:

<[bool] [write_raw_files][true]>

<[string8][folder_destination_raw][./scenery/images_raw/]>

It would really help me if you could add that to your Helper app which has really done just that - help us!!!!

Also, could you please explain the "Prepare" button - I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it. I'm not sure when I should change the N,E,W,S values. Also, I reread your answer about the lack of precision in converting from the PartialFSEarthTiles.ini file - maybe you could just get that info from the INF or TXT files from FSET (I realize that you would have to read many files and get the max and min - maybe not so easy!!)

Thanks so very much

Dave W.

Edited once, last by whitav8 (August 18, 2017 at 5:46 PM).

• Hello Dave

One option in GeoConvert that has really helped me build a high resolution (level 14 or 15) insert correctly without any mask tiles is the "images_raw" option.

The next version will have such an option.

Also, could you please explain the "Prepare" button - I'm not sure I understand the purpose of it. I'm not sure when I should change the N,E,W,S values.

The "Prepare" button does the same as the "Start" button in simple mode, except for starting the GeoConvert Tool. Thereby you have the opportunity to change the coordinates before starting the geoconverting process.

maybe you could just get that info from the INF or TXT files from FSET (I realize that you would have to read many files and get the max and min - maybe not so easy!!)

Certainly i will delve into that, but that will need some more time ;)

Regards

Uwe