R22 with Oculus Touch. Wow!

• If you have the Oculus Touch controllers try this setup: Use your rudder pedals for rudder, Touch tontrollers for virtual cyclic and collective Forget using your joystick, specially the cyclic.

I tried this with some success on fixed winged aircraft, but the lack of return force on the stick makes it sometimes tricky. But with the R22 it really shines. The virtual cyclic gives you a much bigger movement range and ultimately a much finer control. And being a helicopter you don't miss the return-to-centre force.

Really enjoying this! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• I second this. I haven't enjoyed flying any of the fixed wing aircraft with VR controls but it really shines with the R22. I still use a saitek throttle quadrant beside my seat for collective which is personal preference mostly because I have some of the switches bound to clutch etc. However using the cyclic with touch controller gives an amazing amount of precision. Anyone having trouble with the R22 and using VR should try it.

It's worth mentioning that those with a super sensitive flight stick might have a different experience but the longer throw of the actual cyclic stick in the aircraft makes it more controllable.

• Do you control rudder with your Oculus controller?

And are you able to turn left? I'm not...

Windows 10 64bit | I7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard | Corsair Vengiance RGB Pro 16GB 3000Mz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | SSD 512 GB + HDD 4 TB | Oculus Rift CV1 | X-Plane | DCS: F-15, F-5E, SU-27, SU-33, Mig29, A10 & Nevada | T Flight Hotas X | G29 Logitech

• I have a set of rudder pedals. Like Capt Haddock said, the pedals are important too.

For me left rudder only works with joystick axis.

Neither my pedals or VR controllers let me turn left 😞

Windows 10 64bit | I7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X motherboard | Corsair Vengiance RGB Pro 16GB 3000Mz | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC | SSD 512 GB + HDD 4 TB | Oculus Rift CV1 | X-Plane | DCS: F-15, F-5E, SU-27, SU-33, Mig29, A10 & Nevada | T Flight Hotas X | G29 Logitech

• When you set up the pedals on the controls screen you need to set both directions (left pedal, and right pedal) independently.

Could it be that?

I believe I have done that.

I'm also not able to turn left with Oculus controller (no other controller assigned and plugged in the pc).

The problem is only present i VR and works fine on non-VR and only with the R22 - it's killing me ||

Is there any way to reset controller settings or repair AFS2 without going through downloading all scenery etc. again? (I have a very slow connection)

I tried deleting main.mcf and gc-map.mcf. It didn't help

In VR with R22 with easy flight mode my rudder pedals looks like this when I don't touch them:

11612-udklip-jpg

In VR with R22 with Profi flight mode my rudder pedals looks like this when I don't touch them:

(and also in non-VR).

Here I have no problems turning left.

11613-udklip2-jpg

The issue is only with the R22 in easy mode in VR. Everything else works fine.

(in profi mode I'm able to turn left in VR, but my flying skills is not there yet)

Edited 3 times, last by Pokredde (December 3, 2018 at 12:10 PM).

• I guess you are using the touch joystick for the collective, not the actual virtual collective lever?

It's the third time I complain about that so the next time I just shut up, but I am surprised to be the only one who have issue using pedals and left Touch joystick at the same time, especially for R22.

Almost each time I touch the collective I touch the (virtual) pedals as well which interfere with my (hardware) pedals. For planes it is not a major issue, but for helicopters... it is.

Frankly I continue using joystick + left Touch for planes, but right now I stick with pure joystick configuration for helicopters. It works pretty fine. Well, I am still not mastering the R22, but it is definitely not mainly a controller issue...

• I guess you are using the touch joystick for the collective, not the actual virtual collective lever?

It's the third time I complain about that so the next time I just shut up, but I am surprised to be the only one who have issue using pedals and left Touch joystick at the same time, especially for R22.

Almost each time I touch the collective I touch the (virtual) pedals as well which interfere with my (hardware) pedals. For planes it is not a major issue, but for helicopters... it is.

Frankly I continue using joystick + left Touch for planes, but right now I stick with pure joystick configuration for helicopters. It works pretty fine. Well, I am still not mastering the R22, but it is definitely not mainly a controller issue...

Actually it doesn't matter if I use the thumpstick or VR hands and the virtual collective lever. Either way it's almost impossible to turn left.

I have tried disconnecting all other controllers exept the Oculus controllers. Still not able to turn left with the thumpstick.

I have narrowed my issues down to left rudder issues ONLY in the R22 in easy flight model and Only in VR.

(In profi, non-VR, and all other aircraft I'm able to turn left)

• I have narrowed my issues down to left rudder issues ONLY in the R22 in easy flight model and Only in VR.

(In profi, non-VR, and all other aircraft I'm able to turn left)

Have you tried to delete (or for just testing, move to your desktop) the 'gc-map.mcf' file located in your documents\Aerofly FS 2 root folder yet? This will fully clear all controller settings from Aerofly memory. Then ONLY test with the Oculus Rift and Touch controllers connected; no rudder pedals or anything else plugged in.

Let us know the results.

I just tested this again and it all works flawlessly with Touch controllers, and even rudder (CH pedals) pedals connected and configured properly.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Have you tried to delete (or for just testing, move to your desktop) the 'gc-map.mcf' file located in your documents\Aerofly FS 2 root folder yet? This will fully clear all controller settings from Aerofly memory. Then ONLY test with the Oculus Rift and Touch controllers connected; no rudder pedals or anything else plugged in.

Let us know the results.

I just tested this again and it all works flawlessly with Touch controllers, and even rudder (CH pedals) pedals connected and configured properly.

I have tried deleting gc-map.mcf a couple of times already, but did it again just now.

And every other controller was unplugged at computer bootup and when ASF2 was started.

Same result ?(

Right rudder is as expected but left rudder is almost impossible (the helicopter turns a little bit left and VERY slow).

Is there any way to repair AFS2 without going through downloading all scenery etc. again? (I have a very slow connection)

• OK, let us look into this a bit. I understand that you are talking about here but I just can't seem to replicate it on my end.

Is there any way to repair AFS2 without going through downloading all scenery etc. again? (I have a very slow connection)

There's no need to uninstall Aerofly, If you have Steam version all you need to do is run the file integrity check and any bad, missing, or corrupt files will automatically be replaced, but if not, please don't do anything just yet until we dig into it a bit deeper for you.

On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Pokredde sorry if this was already suggested but is there any way that your sensitivity is turned down on your rudder pedals somewhere? Since the easy setting on the R22 automatically adds left rudder for you maybe you don't have any rudder travel left to go any farther since you said it moves a bit but not much.

• OK, let us look into this a bit. I understand that you are talking about here but I just can't seem to replicate it on my end.

There's no need to uninstall Aerofly, If you have Steam version all you need to do is run the file integrity check and any bad, missing, or corrupt files will automatically be replaced, but if not, please don't do anything just yet until we dig into it a bit deeper for you.

Okay i'll wait.

Thank you so much for looking into it and trying to help me :)

In the meantime I will try to do a integrity check in Steam and see if it will fix the issue.

I'm really looking forward to try the R22 in VR...

Update:

I ran a integrity check in Steam and unfortunately it made no difference,

so now I cross all my fingers and toes and hope you will find something when digging =O

Edited 3 times, last by Pokredde (December 3, 2018 at 8:19 PM).

• I actually saw this when I first tried the R22 in easy mode (re: left pedal pressed). I assumed it was part of the help mode, to stop the helicopter spinning to the right... And it's true than in easy mode rudder is not very effective when turning left.

Personally I'd suggest turning "pro" mode on. Everything works as expected and it will be far more rewarding in the long run. Give it a try! :)

• I actually saw this when I first tried the R22 in easy mode (re: left pedal pressed). I assumed it was part of the help mode, to stop the helicopter spinning to the right... And it's true than in easy mode rudder is not very effective when turning left.

Personally I'd suggest turning "pro" mode on. Everything works as expected and it will be far more rewarding in the long run. Give it a try! :)

Oh, another pilot who experiences this!

Yep, I guess I have to stick with Profi mode for now until drhotwing1 and Co. hopefully find the cause and solution.

Maybe one day I will then be able to take off in Profi mode without looking like a drunk pilot taking off during a hurricane8o

Edited 2 times, last by Pokredde (December 3, 2018 at 10:57 PM).

• The problem here is that it's very difficult to find a solution to something you can't recreate.

Can you please provide as many details as possible regarding your PC configuration and exactly what you do to set up prior to seeing this problem, including even things like wind setting.

Also, please post your TM log on here as well.

Regards,

Jeff