Brightness changes iPad

• This happened to me since Aerofly2, and I don't know what's behind it. Sometimes, almost always, after flying a couple of minutes, the screen brightness changes - usually it gets a bit darker. It does not seem to be related to changing heading and different sun directions/time of day. It just get a notch darker. When switching to another app, brightness there is as was before. Also, I did not experience this behaviour in other apps/games, just in Aerofly.

Did anybody else noticed that? Or this this something specific to the lighting model?

• Recently, I fly with a controller, so no hands on the iPad. Nothing obstructs the sensor.

Automatic adjustment of brightness ... I only activated True Tone, but even when switched off, the screen stayed that little bit darker. Automatic activation of dark mode is also disabled. Brightness is on max, also when the issue appears. And I have to admit I did not find a setting for the automatic brightness. I know the iPad does regulate that sometimes, but where is that setting? Under Display & Brightness there is only True Tone automatic, which is enabled.

But since I had this behaviour also on my old iPad air which did not have True Tone, it can't be this setting?

And the Aerofly menu appears in the same brightness, even when inflight it gets that little bit darker.

Do I miss something?

Patrick

• Device is not getting hot, frame rate limited. But I just noticed that it does happen in another game app as well. Only after a couple of minutes playing.

I then disabled True Tone and screen lock (just in case) - no change.

Since this only seems to happen when brightness is full, and the screen gets brighter after I close the hungry app for a couple of minutes, mabybe this is indeed related to power/battery protection or something.

Anyway, obviously it is not something special to Aerofly, so we can close this thread.

Patrick

• A little bit of internet "research" aka googling led me to another setting, that Apple very successfully hid under Accessibility > Display and Text Size. At the bottom there is another auto brightness switch.

But, I just tried that, after a couple of minutes brightness from full went down a notch (still ok), and then another (not so ok). So that switch didn't help either.

Closed Aerofly, and while writing this, brightness returned to full. Battery is almost full. Somehow there seems to be an inbuilt protection of some kind....

Patrick

• Sorry to bring this up again, but I just read some stuff that indeed relates this dimming issue to overheating and the iPad protecting itself. This morning I set the brightness to about 90 or 95% to see whether this would help. It did not. Then I googled again, more targeted at internal protections, and indeed, lots of stuff can be found then.

It seems that the iPad protects itself from overheating, and one measure is to dim the brightness. Now, although spring is here and its warmer, I'm not in the sun at all. But the iPad is in a case. And this dimming jump appears right after 5 or 10 minutes, not after hours of flying.

I'd really be interested if other Aerofly users experience this overheating protection as well? I use an iPad pro 10.5.

My next attempts will be using the iPad without case, close all other apps in the background and then see what happens.

Patrick

• New attempt this morning without case - but the case was not the case :rolleyes:.

Dimming occurred more or less at the same time.

In found interesting gear on the internet, from X-Naut, an active cooling case for the iPad in extreme conditions, especially for aviation. Although this would be a perfect fit for Aerofly, I don't think that I have extreme conditions when relaxing at home. Also, it is quite expensive 8).

I found something from Hama, called "Cooling Gel Case". Since my case is more or less broken anyway, I'll give it a try. I also downloaded a monitoring app to check the processor load.

Keep you updated.

Patrick

• I Noticed this in mobile version. I changed iOS settings (iPhone) to disable auto brightness ( settings accessibility;display) and then moved slider up to maximum and then no more issue.

This happened to me since Aerofly2, and I don't know what's behind it. Sometimes, almost always, after flying a couple of minutes, the screen brightness changes - usually it gets a bit darker. It does not seem to be related to changing heading and different sun directions/time of day. It just get a notch darker. When switching to another app, brightness there is as was before. Also, I did not experience this behaviour in other apps/games, just in Aerofly.

Did anybody else noticed that? Or this this something specific to the lighting model?

• This happened to me since Aerofly2, and I don't know what's behind it. Sometimes, almost always, after flying a couple of minutes, the screen brightness changes - usually it gets a bit darker. It does not seem to be related to changing heading and different sun directions/time of day. It just get a notch darker. When switching to another app, brightness there is as was before. Also, I did not experience this behaviour in other apps/games, just in Aerofly.

I've seen it too- I have no idea what is causing it.

Kind regards and safe flying.

-Thekingbuji333

• Does it get darker and then brighter after some time?. Sometimes it happens when the clouds are obstructing the sun,thus producing a shade

Hey G’s This does not come from the flight sim. It simply is your device lowering the brightness to cool down and continue performing at 60fps. If you want to avoid this issue i recommend pressing the « limit fps » in the settings. Your device will limit at 30fps. It’s a bit irritating the first week then you get used to it.

• I also have been haveing performance issues with af2022 , as follows , my device iPhone 12 4 gig ram 64 storage latest iOS 16.6 , my phone has been getting hot ever since I updated from default iOS 14 onwards , I turn everything off like updates background refresh , location services , and any app features I don’t use , but recently I have noticed a massive improvement in smooth steady 30fps even when taxi around Frankfurt Heathrow , and I think it may be due to my Samsung to not set up correctly , because I went into advanced picture setts and set to smooth and picture noise etc to auto , now every time I start fs22 it’s fine , I use apple hdmi adapter feathered to tv high speed cable , my phone just gets warm now not hot , I did try fs23 and it improved but not as reliable as fs22 , I always have problems a380 fps but with fs22 a380 is way good now in its fps nice in smooth , I stil think it’s to do with ios16 but thankfully my tv sorted out it , thing is I run grid and alien isolation high settings now problems atall

• My fps stuttering issues return with fs22 fs23 , really bad now when I taxi round any airport with any plane , and with all veiws , so tryed something else today , set a380 at Frankfurt cold in dark start fs22 got everything all going on the jet except engines , at that point I did my own fps screen test by cycling through the veiws especially tower zoom in zoom out , lovely and smooth , same as others , then started engines , within about minute , stuttering started up again paning round jet zooming in out from tower terrible as was taxing , did it again , this time I turned off engines only and everything went smooth again ! What the hell is causing this problem , oh fs21 has no issues at all smooth all the time. Any plane any where , is it ios16.6 is it fs22 fs23 , is it both , all my other apps are ok my cell has 89% copacity holds charge and charges fine , Apple need to get their act together with these updates , dumping so called battery protection features etc to protect our phones when it’ maybe that , that’s stopping our sim from working ok , as I no it did back on iOS 14 15 so angry rite now because of this issue , maybe it’s to make me go out and buy a new phone , which is what Apple want haha! At least I have fs21 to run ok but it’s like I gone 2 steps back , some great stuf in fs21 mind , bitter sweet .