What’s stopping Aerofly from getting Fuel and weights?

• Hi,

I’m curious why it’s been a decade since Aerofly was born but we still can’t see weight and fuel, such a basic and important system in flight simulator?

I assume the physical measures such as mass and inertia are already there in the sim. Why not just change them from a constant to a variable and changed with the fuel amount and thrust? It doesn’t look that complex to me. Although it might be more tricky to consider how the weights are distributed within the aircraft. Why not just start with something simpler, I suppose it would be at least better than nothing?

P.S. (not relevant to this topic). Can I ask why the terrain errors in some major European airports such as Charles De Gaulle is still not fixed? It’s horrible to fly.

Thanks,

• Hi,

I’m curious why it’s been a decade since Aerofly was born but we still can’t see weight and fuel, such a basic and important system in flight.

Its not needed IMO. Aero fly was meant to be less complicated for the end user and have the easy to use Ui, load up an fly SIM with realistic aircraft and flight dynamics. Its perfect the way it is thats why it stands above the rest in its own right. Less is more in this case. Look at the mess Microsobo has with its SIM. Their forums tell a thousand words, in their case more than a thousand words. Its basically eye candy with bugs. lol For me FS4, its fine the way it is. JMO. 😉

• Naw, release the brake, juice the throttle, lite the tires and go. lol 🤣

All kidding aside, you can have realism, but does it always have to be...? Why not skip a few details and just enjoy simplicity without complication. I abhorred setting clouds, wind, fuel n' weight, camera speed everytime I wanted to fly with MSFS. It was a "PITA" everythime. I just want to fly with less tweaking, setting this that and the next thing. Cripes I don't even use the flight nav for Aero Fly. I take off manually, land manually, auto pilot (when I feel like it). I VFR, the moving map and a compass heading to navigate, thats it, nothing else. I have no issues flying point to point. Easy as pie. 😉 BUT....thats just me. Fly the bush pilot way....remembering the lay of the land and the geography to navigate.

Edited once, last by douglas55 (November 29, 2023 at 9:28 PM).

• Well, fuel consumption, fuel weight and its influence on flight characteristics seem to be an important factor on long distance flights.

And actually adding a feature does not have to make AFS more complicated for new users - but it can make it more challenging for advanced users. It just depends on how it is integrated.

• Well, fuel consumption, fuel weight and its influence on flight characteristics seem to be an important factor on long distance flights.

And actually adding a feature does not have to make AFS more complicated for new users - but it can make it more challenging for advanced users. It just depends on how it is integrated.

Agreed, but having the choice to use it should be left to user. Not like that other SIM. Its not something I'd use.

• Simplified has its advantages of course but I’m more interested in the planes and the serious simulated flying of them than the view out of the window and any more obscure aviation activities. For pretty scenery I happily tear along in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Aerofly’s continuing realism improvement could always focus on the cockpit functions for a while .. and then for a bit more again.

Doing things 100% right with pre-planning and using the check lists and procedures as if under the hawk eye gaze of an instructor or examiner is surely serious P.C. (or mobile) flying simulation’s ultimate aspiration?

The more levers and knobs and dials that work properly the closer we are allowed to get to that, if that is the sort of flying we chose to simulate.

Kick the tyres and light the fires sort of pilots never seemed to hang around the old flying club too long😢

• Kick the tyres and light the fires sort of pilots never seemed to hang around the old flying club too long😢

I'm a casual simmer so it makes no difference to me if anything complex is added over and above what we already have per se, I have no control over whats added. The SIM is still simple enough to use and I would skip the things I don't choose to use if given that option. Fuel an weight being the current discussion.

• It has not been added because other things have taken priority. And it is not as easy as just making a few values to variables. We want to make sure that beginners do not need to choose their fuel level for each flight. It should be set automatically but also allow experts to adjust the fuel level. This requires a new menu, new physics and changes to all aircraft.

Regards,

Jan

• In this simulator, it is not just as simple as changing the weight. If the aircraft is too heavy or too light, it will cause the aircraft's thrust system to change, requiring the system to be reprogrammed.