Put it on SSD or HD?

• Any recommendations on where to install it? Will it be hardware friendly on a Solid State Drive? I imagine some parts of the installation would get very few read and writes and others would be frequent. Is the gradual memory shuffle process to spread the load automatic or is a software app needed? Thanks, new to modern hardware.

• I have experiece with both SSD and HDD for aerofly. SSD is faster but I am happy with loading times on HDD as well:
    it takes about 25-27s to launch the simulator if it ran before, graphics settings on ultra. That is in San Francisco over KSFO with the Baron B58 or the Airbus A320, so it has to load the entire city... LA is probably the same, everything else should be even faster than that. So that's worst case loading time of under half a minute from HDD... I can live with that.

Loading an airplane like the Boeing 737 or A320 takes under 5 seconds on HDD. So swapping airplanes in mid flight becomes quite attractive...
    And you can load the airplane into landing, take-off and cruise state in an instant, too. E.g. you can select the final approach on the map and the airplane is teleported to the right location with correct approach speed, flaps out, gear down, lights on... everything set for landing. Only adjust throttle and fly it down...

Simulator shut down also takes only about 3 seconds from flight to desktop, thats if you can press the exit button fast enough haha

Regards,

Jan

• The SSD or HD debate is not that much of an issue with Aerofly FS 2. Loading of resources during flight takes place in background threads, so you should see no stuttering while this is being done on a Quad Core CPU.

Also keep in mind that if you have a lot of RAM, lets say 6 or more GB, once a file has been loaded, Windows keeps that file in the cache, so loading it again is considerably faster.

You will see this effect when you run Aerofly FS 2 for the first time and then running it again. The second time it should load much faster.

• Thanks for the replies folks. It's already gone on a SSD, got a shock when I saw the size of the download. I'm only using it on a 1200X1000 display with an interim setup anniversary pentium running on stock 3.2 speed, pre-overclocking and with a gtx 950 graphics card. It defaulted to Ultra on all settings and it does run smooth on the small monitor. The 5:4 ratio display is good for instrument panels, shame they are more or less ignored now. I would have got a new monitor if I had know FS 2 was imminent. The current set-up was really for steam FSX.