Aerofly FS2 + VoiceAttack = Awesome!

• So, for months I've been using VoiceAttack with Elite Dangerous, and have thought for quite a while that especially in VR, VoiceAttack would be a dream come true for immersive control in the cockpit, without having to peek and access the keyboard or work with sometimes fiddly mouse interaction.

Several times I wanted to ask the developers about working with VoiceAttack, but I'm aware they don't really want to bring in outside programs, so I figured it would end up being very low priority. (If there was any interest at all)

Enter this guy, my new BFF! :D

I'm hoping this vid will stir some interest!

Updated Profile

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (March 22, 2017 at 4:08 AM).

• Thank you for sharing the video with us. That is quite a positive first look into the Aerofly FS 2 as well!

If we had a good voice recognition software that would be great. It would make a very nice addition to the sim if you could just "talk" to your copilot. Giving it commands like flaps 5, flaps 10 or autopilot on, etc. would be very nice and handy. I like that idea and it's certainly interesting.

My only concern with any speach recognition software is that you sometimes have to train it before you can use it. And that, for me, is a no go. It should work out of the box without using Microsofts inbuilt speach recognition where I would have to sit there and read text in a "foreign" language. (If that is even possible... I think last time I tried it would only let me use the installed operating system language, which aparently can't be changed? - stupid Windows). So yeah, it should understand me even if I use German commands or mix it with English commands.

Cheers,
    Jan

• My only concern with any speach recognition software is that you sometimes have to train it before you can use it. And that, for me, is a no go. It should work out of the box without using Microsofts inbuilt speach recognition where I would have to sit there and read text in a "foreign" language. So yeah, it should understand me even if I use German commands or mix it with English commands.
    Cheers,
    Jan

There's an old saying about not letting the "Perfect" be the enemy of the "Good enough". :D

I don't think there are any flawless speech recognition systems, but do I think the success of VoiceAttack has proven it to be good enough. One thing I have found though with these systems is that the hardware is very very very important.

I purchased a low priced headphone with mic, and couldn't really get voice recognition to work at all. It was a very very frustrating experience, and windows misunderstood me again and again, making me come to the conclusion that the software simply wasn't ready for primetime.

Later, using the apparently very high quality rift Microphone, I found that VoiceAttack suddenly understood me almost flawlessly. Belatedly I realized that not all mics are made alike! And usb mics are apparently the best choice.

Here's a video of Voiceattack working as intended in Elite Dangerous: There are also vids of it understanding other languages, but I suspect strongly things like this will have to be done by third parties. (And I bet it sells like hotcakes)

It is nice to see a proof of concept in Aerofly, though.

[video=youtube_share;s4QkltClArw]

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    m[/media]

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• This is really an awesome combination.
    I hardly watch youtube videos of 1 hour duration, but this is great entertainment for flight sim enthusiasts.
    Also many thanks for the clear voice. This makes listening easy for non native english speakers.

Rodeo

• I think that profile will become very popular! It remains to be seen whether Mike will continue to add features, or if this might become a crowdsourced effort, expended upon by the community.

If I were him, I would consider cleaning it up, expanding and documenting it, then putting it up for sale.

Devons rig

• I think that profile will become very popular! It remains to be seen whether Mike will continue to add features, or if this might become a crowdsourced effort, expended upon by the community.

If I were him, I would consider cleaning it up, expanding and documenting it, then putting it up for sale.

I received Mike's Profile about 45 minutes after requesting it. Super simple installation instructions. Worked for me on the first try. I never even heard of Voice Attack before yesterday.

Regards,

Ray

• LOL. I've posted about it several times, but that was on Avsim. :D

Devons rig

• The videomaker has posted a link. Just look under "show more" on his video notes.

Devons rig

• I'm itching to see if anyone can use this to activate
    The NAV button on the autopilot

Im fairly sure it will not work

It doesn't work for me. I asked Michael to change Nav to Navigation (easier for VA to understand me) and to try again. I have also sent him a slew of additional suggestions that he is receptive to trying. Add lighting commands, cardinal headings, cleared to and for type commands.

Regards,

Ray

• I use Voice Attack (VA) on a daily basis with Elite dangerous, if you want to see VA in action you can
    include that in your search for video's.

I also use a voice pack so that my flight computer talks back, confirms my voice commands etc.
    but they have to me specially made for the "game" you are using VA with.

Having to train the speech engine is 'an sich' Microsoft's fault because VA uses that engine.
    I never heard of a speech engine that works "right out of the box" ....
    Training the speech engine takes only a few minutes.

• Google's speach recognition works out of the box. I can ask it to get the weather for the next day and it searches for it automatically. And Apple's counterpart "Siri" also does not need any training by the user. Both of these are probably "trained" in advance to understand more people out of the box.

• Google's speach recognition works out of the box. I can ask it to get the weather for the next day and it searches for it automatically. And Apple's counterpart "Siri" also does not need any training by the user. Both of these are probably "trained" in advance to understand more people out of the box.

They also send your queries out to a Darpa/Calo AI machine-Learning type supercomputer to figure out what you just said. :cool:

Neither work without an active online connection, because the devices they operate on simply don't have the onboard computational power to parse speech that accurately on their own.

Its kind of an apples to orangutans comparison, because of that.

Devons rig

• Michael says Aerofly FS 2 does not have a keybind for NAV. Here is what he said "In the keybinds section of Aerofly FS2 It has no bind for Nav Mode. It just says Navigation and when you try and press this command in the Learjet it does not activate Nav mode. You will see in my setup I set this control to Shift N."

Regards,

Ray