Contact details for FSET creator

• Anyone know how to contact the person/people behind this tool? I've searched around the website with the download on it.

I would not have thought they would mind if we made a copy pre-configured with the latest INI file and the right checkbox settings suitable for FS2 conversion and then stored a zip of that somewhere separately, as long as we make sure the original authorship was credited.

(Sorry, i'm a bit fanatical about process improvement. I used to do it for a living when i had a real job.)

• (Sorry, i'm a bit fanatical about process improvement. I used to do it for a living when i had a real job.)

Any improvement is very welcome. :!::)

Here's some info (25-07-2007, 12:38 AM):

"FS Earth Tiles is a Flightsimulator-Tool I started to develop for me and you inspired by the cool Tile proxy project helping you to get photo

textures as static addon scenery into the Flightsimulator by accessing earth services.

FS Earth Tiles is freeware."

http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11218

• FSET, as far as I know is covered by a GNU license, which I believe means it's freely open to modification. https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsearthtiles/

General public licenses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• cool ! I'm on it. I suspected as much but didn't want to upset anyone.

edit: actually I'll hold off. I think IPACS might get concerned about the risk of confusing alternate methods of operation. Better to do this sort of thing in a managed way.

FSET, as far as I know is covered by a GNU license, which I believe means it's freely open to modification. https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsearthtiles/

General public licenses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL

• Official Post

We don't want to associate directly with any of the tools used to pull the actual images to be used in the groconvert tool. Our only focus is the geoconvert tool/SDK itself. We can guide and assist where needed to make good use of the tools that IPACS released but can't really troubleshoot or host anything on the FSET end.

I apologize for the blanketed response as i'm not too sure if you are referencing "tool" as the geoconvert tool or FSET.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• We don't want to associate directly with any of the tools used to pull the actual images to be used in the groconvert tool. Our only focus is the geoconvert tool/SDK itself. We can guide and assist where needed to make good use of the tools that IPACS released but can't really troubleshoot or host anything on the FSET end.

I apologize for the blanketed response as i'm not too sure if you are referencing "tool" as the geoconvert tool or FSET.

You may not want to associate but you have and do it seems to me and that's completely fine as far as I can see. Why on earth not?

By the association you place on the tool (FSET) with your tool's functionality (geoconvert) its unavoidable surely?

I read that the author of FSET happily finished his involvement with it in 2008 (ish) and apparently left source code which you could readily take on (this note is in one of the FSET ini files I'm sure) to adapt for a tight integration of "both" tools to ONE really useful tool.

As I've said before, I'd donate to such an endeavour - kick start it and watch the sim community back you !!

Cheers,

BG2518-Bob.

• I think the issue is that a single tool combining geoconvert and fset, made by Ipacs would be legally dodgy. Bulk download of virtual earth data is not really legit and even though Ipacs aren't directly profitting from it, they are indirectly profitting as it enhances the value of FS2 to have this tool available. That is why they want to emphasise its for any imagery whatever the source, and no doubt why they also have guidelines for using the legit USGS data.

I think it would be better for us to contribute ideas how they can make our life easier whilst keeping arms length from FSET.

A 3rd party tool that batch runs FSET then calls geoconvert, as well as doing all the file moving would be good. As for sharing results i'm stuck on that. Does anyone want to give the world their FTP server login details?

• Many thanks. I see HB-100 has not visited that website again since 2010.

Roland (HB-100) had decided since the very beginning to definitely stop any FSET development at V1.0, and make all sources available free for anybody to go further if they wanted.

So, technically, should you want to do any modification/further development to FSET, you just need to download the sources and go ahead, provided that you have some C# knowledge.

I fully support IPACS decision to keep out of that business. The Geoconvert tool is the AFS2 equivalent to FSX/P3D's resampler. It enables people who do have orthophotos to build a ground scenery, nothing more, nothing less.

Where people get their orthophotos is another issue, but IPACS cannot risk getting involved in a tool like Ortho4XP.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

Edited 2 times, last by Trespassers (July 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM).