Posts by Spit40

Good input Thomas !

Too bad there's still no slew mode in AFS2 to go checking the XREF objects under all aspects...

Since XREF librairies are expected to grow and change (hopefully), it would be great if there was a simple way to automatically generate such a "scenery" by systematically calling each object in turn in a specific folder and placing them in row...

Cheers

Antoine

I did actually make such a function and put an airport in Poland called TST that way. I needed it to test the orientation of each building. In the end though I needed to manually move every building as their footprints varied so much that spacing was all over the place. I might put it back with some refinements.

Okay, I finally found the answer in the manual. Just in case someone else runs into the same question: You can control the size/number of autogen tiles via

SplitGrid|0.2;0.25|*

This is in degrees. A value of 1.0x1.0 reduces the numer of tiles in my case to just two.

Kind regards, Michael

SplitGrid is used to optimise processing, but the trick is to include this at the end of the scenproc before outputting

MergeGrid

I think your rig has 250W motors (correct me if I'm wrong) while SK3 uses 400W. Anyway it looks like a really good product and the heave is one great feature for flight simming. I'm seriously considering to give it a go but I would love to hear some feedback from existing users first or demo ride the actual platform my self.

The only one step up is the FaseTech 3 or 4 DOF but that is nearly double the price..

Are you on x-simulator.net? See https://www.xsimulator.net/community/thre…solution.11465/

I see Fluke is interested in SimuKit SK3 and he's a flight sim guy. I've chatted with him previously as we both went with DOF Reality about the same time.

Hey guys

Does anybody from our bunch have any experience with Simukit SK3 platform?

It seems like a great kit for the money and huge addition to VR immersion.

Looks interesting. Its great that the 3rd DOF is heave. I'd prefer that to yaw which mine has. Mine uses the same wiper motors for power. They're small but pretty strong. The main concern I have about mine is that I can't get it smooth enough, which I think is down to gearing quality/slack and possibly some glitches with the SimTools algorithms which I'm discussing with the developer. With yaw especially you don't want gearing slack or its quite jerky and unnatural.

Drivers don't notice jerkiness because movements are more abrupt. I would try to get a hands on flying not driving test.

Additional Authorised Contributors

In the future I plan to add the facility for others to further develop airports that have been started by someone else. This would be a little like GitHub's forking concept where the original still exists but modified/enhanced versions also exist. Until then as a quick stopgap I have created a new option called Contributor, whereby someone can be given permission by the author to have edit access to a particular airport they created. Please bear in mind that quite naturally not everyone will be willing to do this as they may worry about someone making mistakes and losing work or having different opinions about how to model things. For airports that have had very little development though and the original author does not wish to spend more time working on it they may give you access. Just please don't be upset if someone says "sorry, i'd rather not, I will do more work myself later". If you want to ask for contributor access to an airport that has been created already, please send the Author a request via private conversation.

You can see when someone else is authorised to edit - a Contributor line is shown in the airport overview as in this example below. KJKsimmer gave Oldar edit access (well actually Kenneth gave me permission to do this one on his behalf).

How Authors may give someone else Contributor Access

Just go into edit your airport as normal and you'll see a new field to enter the IPACS ID of anyone you want to give contributor access to. Hit save and you're done. You can always remove them at a later date if you wish.

I just checked both of my FR airports I do have others and they all look like the photo I uploaded. (us is great) I did not know I had a problem tell I saw the photos. I saw the video when it fist came out and just watched it again and double check everything is where it should be. As far as editing a file It is over the top for me and do not want to make things worse. I'm just happy to know what the problem is and it is not on my end.

Redownload the us_global.zip and check its in the right folder and all should be fine.

Yes If I open up the xref folder there is the xref_global folder. I will download it again incase the download was bad.

Is this your first airport download outside the US? This is a classic problem of the xref_global files being in the wrong subfolder. You can try Ed's approach but if you're uncomfortable editing TSC files, take another look at the video - it shows where exactly the xref_global files should be unzipped to.

Here's the exact point in the video:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hello Oldar I think that larrylynx airport objects (he made them all himself and granted them) would be wonderful for this project.

Also the xref_usa_airport should be included.

I am waiting very eagerly for those to make my airports more realistic.

But lets give Phil some time to implement all those.

/Thomas

Actually I was thinking that people could put Larry's models in themselves quite easily as a quick work around until I integrate them better. All we need is to get TMB files (and textures) for each of his models, then you could use an existing model as a dummy (e.g. a round white tank) and modify the TSC file to whatever the model TMB is called.

So the question is what is the easiest way to get a TMB/TTX file for each of his models? I can autogenerate if I have .AC files.

EDIT: P.S. I knew I would eventually refer to "Larry" instead of Steve !

Hi Phil:

Have you figured out a way to add runway numbers without bespoke conversions, I mean, ones that users could add as part of the process of creating airports with FSCP?.

Cheers, Ed

Absolutely - its all very clear in my head :)

I pre-generate the decals, calculate the co-ords of where they go, and overlay them as 2 separate [decal] elements per runway in the TSC file with the correct orientation. Just need a few hours to sort that.

For a fair comparison with 3D modeling we still need runway numbers and 3D airport objects, but that will come, for sure.

Cheers, Ed

Numbers very close now - bespoke conversions like KORD have them. I'll do more bespoke conversions soon. I'm thinking that I'll work out the top 20 downloaded airports and make bespokes for them.

Excellent point Ray. Gibraltar was an interesting example to pick on as I now see that my high level map doesn't even have it !

I'd better work out how that code works and add Gibraltar. Going forward though, as I've used plugin code that I didn't write myself I'm reluctant to spend time investigating how to recode it for other island groupings with so many other things people want sooner.

For now GI is back to GB

What is a country?

A philosophical question to start the day. It is something I've been grappling with when it comes to linking (in particular) small islands to countries in fsCloudPort. After Yoda@01na built a few airports off Madagascar I decided to get to the bottom of it.

The answer is ISO 3166

The high level map tool I use already matches land masses to country codes and I've learned that the code system they use is ISO 3166, which means for example (fyi TomSimMuc ) that Gibraltar is not linked to the UK but has its own code "GI" - see the column on the right of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar

I'm using Google's tools to cross check the long/lat of any airports saved to the country they've been linked to and will now "correct" any mismatches. I'll do it manually at first so I can alert the author that their airport has moved, then automatically.

Phil, it seems like FSCP is basically a GUI for placing objects with point-n-click ease versus manually defining coordinates for those objects. I see you have cultivation listed as #5 - is your thought that users will use FSCP to place individual palm trees, etc at specific locations around an airport?

My idea is more to draw polygons which will be used to randomly generate trees of a defined type - scenproc style. For small areas this isn't very intensive and feasible using my approach.