VR Hands new hardware

• Just to let you (incl. the devs ;)) know: an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for the Sensoryx glove system has started today (
    I think this is the next logical step for "VR hands" that the ingenious FS2 devs introduced this spring. Touch and Vive controllers become obsolete, the Sensoryx gloves are MUCH more precise and intuitive for switching the levers and buttons in our virtual cockpits while at the same time allowing us to control the hardware devices we already have.
    (BTW, although I backed the campaign today I have no connections whatsoever to Sensoryx.)

• Just to let you (incl. the devs ;)) know: an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for the Sensoryx glove system has started today (
    I think this is the next logical step for "VR hands" that the ingenious FS2 devs introduced this spring. Touch and Vive controllers become obsolete, the Sensoryx gloves are MUCH more precise and intuitive for switching the levers and buttons in our virtual cockpits while at the same time allowing us to control the hardware devices we already have.
    (BTW, although I backed the campaign today I have no connections whatsoever to Sensoryx.)

really hope it comes through. I got my hopes up for GloveOne and then for VRGluv. Sensoryx look more organised though. Ultrahaptics could be amazing too.

• Ughh... Why are they re-inventing the wheel, then covering it with a glove? LOL I don't really get the new glove trend thing, unless it has some type of tactile feedback, this is technology that already exists and has for some time. I have had my Leap Motion for almost 2 years now. It does hand and individual finger tracking of bare hands. No gloves needed. It works nearly flawlessly, I would say 95% of the time. What is cool is that it feels like your real hands in VR. Each movement of the fingers are replicated, it gives a sense that your hands are in the environment, well at least till you try to grab something virtual.

I purchased the Leap Motion because it was fairly inexpensive, and I figured we would see games and sims begin to implement it. Instead they all seemed to go the path of controllers, which are a pain if you have to grab them while in VR, just to push a button or flip a switch. Majorly detracts from realism.

Not sure why Leap Motion was not better accepted. Maybe they did not market them well or something. FlyInside was about the only add on that got it right. Need to change something in the cockpit, just reach out and do it. No need for a clunky controller, or glove.

Andrew

• Ughh... Why are they re-inventing the wheel, then covering it with a glove? LOL I don't really get the new glove trend thing, unless it has some type of tactile feedback, this is technology that already exists and has for some time. I have had my Leap Motion for almost 2 years now. It does hand and individual finger tracking of bare hands. No gloves needed. It works nearly flawlessly, I would say 95% of the time. What is cool is that it feels like your real hands in VR. Each movement of the fingers are replicated, it gives a sense that your hands are in the environment, well at least till you try to grab something virtual.

I purchased the Leap Motion because it was fairly inexpensive, and I figured we would see games and sims begin to implement it. Instead they all seemed to go the path of controllers, which are a pain if you have to grab them while in VR, just to push a button or flip a switch. Majorly detracts from realism.

Not sure why Leap Motion was not better accepted. Maybe they did not market them well or something. FlyInside was about the only add on that got it right. Need to change something in the cockpit, just reach out and do it. No need for a clunky controller, or glove.

Andrew

I've read it struggles outside a certain field of view. Haptic feedback is the one I'd really like - vrgluv or ultrahaptics.

• I've read it struggles outside a certain field of view. Haptic feedback is the one I'd really like - vrgluv or ultrahaptics.

I mounted the sensor to my Rift, so it would track my hands as I was looking for what I was reaching for. No problems really, it seemed to track within the field of view of the Rift. Of course since there is nothing that really supports it, I was limited to the Demo stuff that came with it, and FlyInside, but with both of those it works the majority of the time.

Haptic feedback world be awesome. The VRgluv looks so big and cumbersome though. Not sure how I "feel" about ultrahaptics yet. Seems neat, but is it practical?

• Is there any chance FS2 will support the LEAP at all and if so, any time soon? it is a cheap hand in VR solution

• Is there any chance FS2 will support the LEAP at all and if so, any time soon? it is a cheap hand in VR solution

A universal approach to include most VR motion controllers currently on the market has already been accomplished. It's not likely that we will re-approach this feature for quite some time, if ever to be honest. The launch of the VR Hands was very successful and it appeals to most users with VR headsets. We are now onto other high priority features.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• That is too bad. The LEAP motion was flawless in FlyInside in XPlane and it literally put your hands in the sim, not the awkward Touch controller. Using a yoke, rudders, throttle while wearing the headset, and then fumbling around to find the Touch while blind to use flaps, trim, radios, and the like, never seemed appealing to me. To me, it actually takes away from the experience, which is probably why people are asking about the gloves.

A universal approach to include most VR motion controllers currently on the market has already been accomplished. It's not likely that we will re-approach this feature for quite some time, if ever to be honest. The launch of the VR Hands was very successful and it appeals to most users with VR headsets. We are now onto other high priority features.

It would seem others agree with my LEAP request, or the VR hands are less than appealing

• I completely agree with you, pkaser. My enthusiasm about VR Hands was nourished by the fact that the underlying CONCEPT showed into the right direction. Apart from FlyInside (which I didn't know and use) Aerofly were the first to actually implement such a thing in their interface. And just at the right time, when almost half a dozen of startups popped up with the aim of creating a hands & fingers interface.
    Using dedicated sim controllers and VR controllers at the same time is absolutely unpractical, there's no arguing about that! I did it ONCE and now I'm just "holding thru" unto the arrival of the gloves.
    (Sidenote: I actually have a Leap Motion set and would certainly give it a try in FS2 if it was supported. Especially since it works so well ─ at least for you and MrRCSound. But I'm still afraid it lacks the precision necessary in the "heat of the battle". There's also the problem of the range, there's levers, gear e.g., that I want to use "blindly", not having to look at them first. And finally, most "Hands & Fingers" developers plan some sort of haptic feedback. If not for their first iteration, then for a second or third. Something a "pure" solution like LM can't offer. I also must say that especially for a warbirds pilot like me the idea of flying with gloves comes quite naturally, anyway.)

Final words: I hope by the time the first physical gloves arrive at the market, Aerofly devs have successfully programmed their "other high priority features" and may turn back to expand "VR Hands" support. It would be a real pity to go such a long and promising way and then rest in sight of the finishing line...

• Flightsim in VR is crying out for natural in-game hands that can also hold a yoke/stick. I've been exchanging some emails with the cofounder of Plexus VR - promoting FS2's credentials. Here's a promising extract:

Thanks for the tip Phil, we've seen a pretty huge interest from users of DCS and X-Plane also. We're looking to build a small cockpit demo environment so I'll be sure to forward you this when this is ready to show. The next demo will show some more fine control so will also forward that on.

See http://plexus.im/

• Can't wait! Just signed up for their news. Thanks for the info!

Im still trying to get LEAP to work reliably. Im going to kind of play around with it for a bit. If I get anything working on my end, I will let ya'll know.

• I agree with sentiments above.

The VR hands provide a significant part of the immersion.

However being limited to a controller in one hand and stick (or yoke) in the other breaks the immersion.

I would be willing to give up on the haptic feedback from the controller in exchange for bare hand tracking as with LEAP

If glove technology improves to provide a good compromise, all the better.

if ever to be honest

It is discouraging to hear that VR hand extensions or control alternatives are potentially a closed topic.

Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• I think LEAP as a company has really done their their investors, their product and their customers a disservice for not using their $50M investment in 2017 by developing some kind of software for OpenVR users. They originally marketed the product as a device that will change the way you use your computer...no more mouse. Seems though, now, they only have interest in writing an API to interface with their device and expect everyone else figure out what to do with it to make it useful. That is a great value-add to a product, but seems like as a sole value, it isn't very valuable at all.

They forget, they had the useful and marketable part figured out in 2013. And now with the invention of VR, they are crazy for not capitalizing on their invention! In my opinion, if their product supported OpenVR in a useful way, it could send VR into mainstream. But selling the device would be the only way to capitalize on it, because I don't think people would spend $100 on the device, and then $50 to make the device useful from some other developer, and I think anyone that would spend that much time doing their job for them (Leap Motion) should be compensated.

Without this OpenVR software, Leap will always stay a novelty like it has since 2013.

This takes VR to a whole new level!

Ok, so more progress being made getting Leap Motion to work...

https://github.com/SDraw/driver_leap

So as long as you dont use your left hand on anything other than the yoke, this works extremely well! I can flick switches, and drop flaps, extend and retract spoilers, drop the gear, and a whole lot more! Even grabbed the windows open bar in the A320 and popped it open! Knobs are a little funky as I cant seem to grab and rotate, but the hand inside does go through the motions like it is really my hand. It is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. And it is remarkably reliable!

Edited once, last by pkaser (July 24, 2018 at 5:31 AM).

• I have not tried anything other than the 320. It isn't perfect, don't get me wrong, but the experience was 90% of what I would want of the end product with out-of-the-box GitHub software. That is a pretty great starting point. Since it would only likely take some tweaking, I will fork it over and build on it I think. I just don't have a whole lot of time, and this kind of app isn't my expertise. Maybe I can Fiverr the development of it, lol.

It was late and i was tired. Heading to try some more here in a bit

I got it to work and work well. I posted in the VR hands thread

Andrew

I just ordered the Leap Motion as well, looks great.

If this works as I think it will with my Rift, I'll be in absolute sim heaven :)

How does one trim with the rift controllers?

Handy cultivation tools

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• I just ordered the Leap Motion as well, looks great.

If this works as I think it will with my Rift, I'll be in absolute sim heaven :)

How does one trim with the rift controllers?

i'm very much looking forward to how you get on with this.