SAMSUNG ODYSSEY + PLUS Overview

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• Also took some pics, starting with the main menu and close-ups of the "Y" ...

Odyssey Original on the left, Odyssey Plus on the right ...

It looks like they added a diffuser square/diamond on top of each pixel ...

• Please use an in-"game" rendering for comparison, not the main menu which could be a texture with finite resolution.

Go into the sim, find a polygon edge like the edge of the window and compare it there.

• In-game comparison with close-ups of the airspeed ribbon in the King-Air which isn't clear with SS = 150% ...

(screenshot from monitor - not VR headset)

VR screenshots - Original left, Plus on the right ...

I prefer the original's smaller/sharper pixels and the better fit.

• I have just tried out my Odyssey+ and I must say that the screen door is practically eliminated. Aerofly looks a "bit" better when looking into the sky but its not much difference from the Odyssey given the screen resolution. The cockpit is a bit blurrier and it makes me think that we still need a "VR Zoom" function in AF2. Compared to original Vive, the Odyssey+ visually wins by miles. However the Vive and Odyssey put the Odyssey+ to shame when it comes to comfort (Less cheek bone cushion support) :D I think I agree with most of what kenventions opinions were as well, "The difference is subtle." I need to play around with the headset more but as of right now, I kind of like my original Odyssey better and its because of comfort and clarity.

• I'm really after sharper cockpit visuals - less blurry digits on autopilots etc.

Then the original Odyssey will be your best bet in my opinion and from experience (as of right now). I think kenventions provided a very good in game comparison with the original Odyssey being a bit sharper. However it's always good to get a second opinion from the doctor!

• Then the original Odyssey will be your best bet in my opinion and from experience (as of right now). I think kenventions provided a very good in game comparison with the original Odyssey being a bit sharper. However it's always good to get a second opinion from the doctor!

Can I blame you if I don't like it ?

Just kidding of course, but I have just ordered an original Ody - even with $123 "import duty prepayment" on top of the $299 I got it for on Amazon

I read some great reviews on Amazon about it. Sim people love it and the only -ves seemed to be from people who want to run around and pretend to kill zombies.

• Since I'm not a VR user, how do you guys fly your airplanes? Looking at the above screenshots it looks like one can't even read the ASI???

Far from it. Its like being in the real thing - wearing a scuba mask as you have restricted side vision. Instruments are generally fine to read, but digital displays take some leaning in to read small digits.

• and it makes me think that we still need a "VR Zoom" function in AF2

I agree that a VR ZOOM option would be helpful since the current VR displays don't have the same clarity of 4K monitors. Both IL2 & DCS have a VR ZOOM option (but primarily for target identification). The AF2 ZOOM would be primarily for in-cockpit use with the bigger planes that have more complex instrumentation.

Maybe IPACS could give us a MANUAL ZOOM (hold a joystick button) and an AUTO-ZOOM option that detects when you're focused on something inside the cockpit for more than 1 sec (no button press required) so you can look at the radio, AUTO ZOOM is triggered, you adjust the radio and then look away and AUTO ZOOM turns off.

• I agree that a VR ZOOM option would be helpful since the current VR displays don't have the same clarity of 4K monitors. Both IL2 & DCS have a VR ZOOM option (but primarily for target identification). The AF2 ZOOM would be primarily for in-cockpit use with the bigger planes that have more complex instrumentation.

Maybe IPACS could give us a MANUAL ZOOM (hold a joystick button) and an AUTO-ZOOM option that detects when you're focused on something inside the cockpit for more than 1 sec (no button press required) so you can look at the radio, AUTO ZOOM is triggered, you adjust the radio and then look away and AUTO ZOOM turns off.

The best thing to do is to simply lean into what you need to read. Real-world pilots don't have a zoom feature and there are many things that you can't read in a real aircraft :) We try hard to make things as realistic as possible so the 'auto zoom' will not work for us. A manual zoom is a possibility down the road but please don't expect anything soon as there are many other priorities that would come before this. Maybe remind us of this a year from now?

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Mine was shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. Seems the distribution center is not far away, in Pennsylvania.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• I've been mulling over my purchase while i await its arrival. On specification i'm starting to think its the perfect option right now, especially at this price:

VR Resolutions

Rift: 2 x 1080 x 1200

Ody: 2 x 1440 x 1600

Pimax 4k: 2 x 1920 x 2160, but input resolution = 1280 x 1440 upscaled

Pimax 5k: 2 x 2560 x 1440 (170 FOV is approx 1.5x 110, so ~ 1700 x 1440 for 110FOV)

Pimax 8k: not interested. Same input res as 5k and less sharp

Also the Ody is a great quality AMOLED display which people rave about. As i'm mainly interested in cockpit sharp visuals I think this is my stopgap for the next 12 months or so until we have a true 8kx with AMOLED. And hopefully foveated rendering.

• Phil, I think you made a great choice. I was playing around with the Odyssey+ again and I managed to make it feel comfortable for me. Again the instrument clarity is just a tad bit less than the regular Odyssey however I re configured some button settings and made the "move up and down" buttons easier to reach. It allows me to move (zoom in) the distance I need. Also I had to set the Odyssey to Roomscale in order to lean in like Jeff suggested. Having Odyssey in seated position mode doesn't allow you to physically move in VR. I noticed with the Odyssey+ the HUD displays, specifically "altitude and speed" have alignment issues, making for a horrible double vision effect. This problem does not occur with regular Odyssey. kenventions do you have this problem?

• I have been toying with mine a few hours, and the final takeaway is that I kind of like it, but settings are a definite learning curve.

Right now I have SteamVR video settings on Automatic, and application settings 100% for Aerofly.

In Aerofly internal settings, I have Vulkan (Apparently faster with WMR) and no antialiasing.

Internal Aerofly SS at 1.20

For whatever reason (I'm still experimenting) this gave me a great picture in AF with a perfect 90fps.

How have people with WMR headsets found the WMR controllers? For me, the default control scheme in Aerofly seems pretty much a disaster.

Devons rig

• Sorry Jake - I didn't check the HUD quality and I've already boxed up the Plus to be returned.

HiFlyer, I currently use separate HOTAS controllers for FS2 with my Odyssey so I can't comment on the WMR controller situation.

• highflyer, I won’t get to use my own odyssey plus for a week so I really hope you discover all the best settings. Your comments are very important to many of us. In general what would you say about the clarity compared to a rift. Another words what do you think of the reduced SDE? How about tracking? Can you fly fine with your joystick? Have you tried to setup reprojection?