Uncontrollable two wheels planes in slope landing

• Hello,

I wanted to submit a problem for the professionals of plane setting. I noticed when creating mountain landing places, that most of the planes with two wheels really don't like the slope, and are uncontrollable as soon as the ground is touched even at low speed. The only one who stay approximately in line is the Extra 330 which is not the best suited for this type of landing.

Maybe a developper (and I think particulary to Jet-Pack ;)) could do something about it, at least for the Dornier who would be the most suitable airplane.

Regards

Edited once, last by drassaud (February 7, 2019 at 3:05 PM).

• I land daily since one week many times per day with the dornier on the drassaud Switzerland moutain landing places, as well i help our friend a little bit testing his creations and « scouting » the « flat » areas nearby the official places to find the possibility to land in aerofly there.

According to my experience, it goes better and better the more I practice such difficult landing, but yes, the dornier has tendencies - not at the first contact which is ok, but more using the brakes and when you have to decrease the rpm and the place.... to be able to correct heading when the plane rotate mostly on the left, you need to apply more power, which is critical because most places are very short, and because using the dornier brake must be very very sweetly managed, otherwise the nose goes down.... and of course, the landing places are far from flat to be.... and mostly not flat at all...

So I don’t know if it helps, but if it would be possible to set the dornier (and other taildaggers planes) brakes less sensitive, perhaps it could help ?

Best regards from Switzerland

• Hi Drassaud,

We are looking into this. We think it might have to do with the terrain normal vectors, since you are landing on the default terrain and not on a custom mesh? Can you please check if it is better when you use a custom mesh for one of your sloped runways?

Regards,

Jan

On my side I'm using a custom mesh for a mountain landing place. I noticed the sweetest contact (even start from ground) immediately and systematically crashes any retractable gear aircraft.

No problems with fixed gears

Any idea where it could come from?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Hi Antoine,

Maybe you have a double sided face? Are the normal vectors of your mesh pointing up?

I'll check, but I think they are. The fact is I have a mesh + a textured 3D object fot the runway.

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• Ok, I've done new tests :

- with a custom mesh (tryed with Rodeo's Martinique) the problem is also there but lesser

- with a slope runway like on the picture bellow there is no real problem to control the planes, only use a lot of rudder when the plane really slows down

- in the same place with default mesh it's instant crash with Jungmeister for example, and it nead really so much rudder for the Dornier and sometimes it's finally uncontrollable when it slows down.

- with a custom mesh (tryed with Rodeo's Martinique) the problem is also there but lesser

- with a slope runway like on the picture bellow there is no real problem to control the planes, only use a lot of rudder when the plane really slows down

- in the same place with default mesh it's instant crash with Jungmeister for example, and it nead really so much rudder for the Dornier and sometimes it's finally uncontrollable when it slows down.

So is it possible to design an invisible runway in grass or snow slopes ? For the Switzerland mountain places for example ?

thank you for testing

• Hi,

we could design an invisible grid in AC3D or 3Dmax called ground__airport__outside.
    This creates a 'slight' flattening of the original ground mesh.

It has to be added to the TSC as ground object and can be rotated there to match the position.

So please tell me the size you want to have for such a grid.

An object like __airport__runway causes 'heavy' flattening, but always needs a visible texture.

• Hi,

we could design an invisible grid in AC3D or 3Dmax called ground__airport__outside.
    This creates a 'slight' flattening of the original ground mesh.

It has to be added to the TSC as ground object and can be rotated there to match the position.

So please tell me the size you want to have for such a grid.

An object like __airport__runway causes 'heavy' flattening, but always needs a visible texture.

Hi,

If you think it's possible it could probably solve the problem.

However the landing places are all different in their shape (some are flat, others rounded) and by their size, so it's difficult to answer you on this.

Could only one invisible grid work with all the landing places ?

• You can use the one I did for TFFF (Martinique airport)

tfff.zip

tfff_rwy.tmb is a transparent flatten for the runway.

The corresponding code for the tsc file below, you may rename the file to your convenience and try setting new reference coordinates.

It would be interesting to know if the orientation parameter is working too (the rectangular flatten was designed for TFFF, therefore no additional rotation).

Code
    <[list_tmsimulator_scenery_object][objects][]
                <[tmsimulator_scenery_object][element][0]
                    <[string8][type][ground]>
                    <[string8][geometry][TFFF_rwy]>
                    <[vector3_float64][position][-61.0056710243225 14.5900529623032 0]>
                    <[float64][orientation][0]>
                    <[int32][autoheight_override][-1]>
                >
            >

If it works for this purpose, we can draw a more generic flatten...

Cheers

Antoine

• Le plus grand centre commercial

Thanks, I will test this evening, but I can't download the ZIP file, it opens a window marking "access denied"

• shoot again, same player...

tfff.zip

• This flatten was made for the Martinique airport => it's probably way too big for a glacier landing place, but the idea is to check the feasibility with airport__outside attribute.

As well, orientation 0° already corresponds to runway QFU of 280 by design.

Knowing VAR is approximately 15°W in Martinique, true heading of the polygon main axis is thus something like 85°-265°.

Cheers

Antoine

• Before you start creating custom meshes for all of the runways I want you to know that we plan on correcting these wheel issues on the default terrain. Obviously it should not matter where you taxi to, the wheels should behave correctly no matter if custom mesh or not. This might take some time before we get to that, so my suggestion would be that you only create meshes for the worst runways with the steepest slope.

I found that most of the sloped mountain runways are actually okay to land on if you land a bit longer where the slope is not as steep and if you maintain above idle throttle.