Help for development of the A330.

• As Master Obi Jan said, 'model the exterior parts first. though not necessarily all of them down to the last detail.' My grandad suggested workflow would be.

Model the exterior. NO INTERIOR at all for now as its not needed yet and just wastes time and effort. UV map and texture the exterior, a simple colour would suffice to start with, no need for fancy liveries. Export your model to the intermediate folder, which should ideally not be your working folder. With all textures that you need in that folder try to covert it to show in the sim and that is where the problems start. You will need a workable TMD file in the intermediate folder plus others to make this happen, read up in the wiki. Do remember the config.tmc file.

Getting the model into the sim will be a nightmare to start with as the aircraft TMD (if you plan on just one variant) or aircraft.tmd plus system.tmd (If multi variants) will need to be stripped down variants of, I assume, the A320 files. I think I have that right Master Obi Jan. I might even suggest a single variant tmd until you have it showing in the sim, you can then remove bits and set up a systems.tmd. Look at the A320 tmds for the work flow on multi variants.

So in short, a basic textured model and get it into the sim.

Once it's in, you can then start to add things and build it up. Its then, model, uv, texture, tmd, convert and it keeps on like that, The BIG RED cube will become a constant reminder you cocked things up. The tm.log in \Documents\Aerofly FS 4 will be a great help in tracking down all those errors. I use notepad++ plus Master Obi Jan's language plugin as it makes it look pretty and much easier to read.

As a developer its no good shying away from the TMD files as you really need to understand them, so just get stuck in and work it out. Yes there will be questions and help is never far away.

Edited once, last by larrylynx (March 4, 2024 at 8:52 PM).

• Thank you for your excellent advice. This helps us with development.:)

• As larrylynx said. Making an aircraft takes a long, long time. He said about 6 months and I think the A330 will also take this amount of time or even longer. Just having a model isn't going to work. Developer teams for the MSFS are much bigger and really know how to model, do textures, animate the objects, code systems, etc... and they need over a year to make an aircraft.

I completely agree with you, taking the A320 from Fenix as an example, it took almost 2 years for this model to be fully operational. Well, at the same time it's not the simplest example to take into account either.

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

• I wish you eliozo and Pilot boy as well as all those who will also contribute, much success and all the best in this new adventure.:thumbup:

Best wishes 😉

Pascal

AFS2 / FS4 / MSFS / - Intel(R) Core i7 -12800HX 4.80 GHz - DDR5 4800MHz 32 Go - NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti 8 GB GDDR6X - 2x 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4

Edited once, last by Tomfa (March 6, 2024 at 11:06 AM).

• Looking good!

Couple of things: Don't add any wing flex in the model itself. The wing flex is done by the physics later on and the wing needs to be straight for this. You can also consider adding more wing stations so that the wing flex becomes a lot rounder. The wing flex is performed per vertex, so make sure to cut the wing and all attached parts at the same location all the way from the leading edge to the trailing edge for the best results.

For Aerofly you will need textures to make the model visible at all. Here is the wiki page describing the required textures: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…craft:modelling It's a little outdated but should still be applicable.

A more up to date description of the 3D model files and textures can be found here:

Aircraft SDK | Aerofly FS

• Looking good!

Couple of things: Don't add any wing flex in the model itself. The wing flex is done by the physics later on and the wing needs to be straight for this. You can also consider adding more wing stations so that the wing flex becomes a lot rounder. The wing flex is performed per vertex, so make sure to cut the wing and all attached parts at the same location all the way from the leading edge to the trailing edge for the best results.

For Aerofly you will need textures to make the model visible at all. Here is the wiki page describing the required textures: https://www.aerofly.com/dokuwiki/doku.…craft:modelling It's a little outdated but should still be applicable.

A more up to date description of the 3D model files and textures can be found here:

https://www.aerofly.com/developers/aircraft-sdk/

Okay, thank you very much for your advice. I will make these changes.