Blender-OSM

• Kloot, I think I need to go the Blender OSM route for tall buildings as the ScenProc route with toc files has them fading beyond ~6km. Have you done textures before? Will they work in FS2? Curious about the Blender OSM process and effort level.

Still trying to get my head around it myself :-)

I create .tsc files for scenery (cultivation) and standalone buildings and so forth.

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Blender-OSM + SketchUp Make 2017 (and a little elbow grease)

Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift

• Looking good!

I noticed IPACS uses 3 different texture options for objects : _color (day texture), _light (night texture), and _reflection (another day texture option). Will you be able to generate a night texture option too so the buildings will look like they have office lights on at night?

• Looking good!

I noticed IPACS uses 3 different texture options for objects : _color (day texture), _light (night texture), and _reflection (another day texture option). Will you be able to generate a night texture option too so the buildings will look like they have office lights on at night?

For the _light texture, make sure that you use the exact same name as the _color texture (example: test_color should be test_light), be sure to black out anything that you don't want lit at night. The best thing to do is open your _color texture in Gimp (or PS) and add a layer and copy/paste the squares that you want lit to that layer, then add a second all black layer and delete the original one. You will be left with a black texture with those pasted squares that will only be seen at night. Export is with the _light and add it to your project.

Same can be done with _reflection which will the same only that will be seen day and night.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• Very impressive. We may have a Hawaii before IPACS or Orbx. 😀

Regards,

Ray

Yes :-)

Sydney under development :-) (again) - floating building issues!!

• Great to see everyone leading the way with Blender OSM. Tools like that seem like the best way to do cityscapes to me.

Blender OSM Premium should help with textures.

What's missing is a way to randomise height of buildings between certain values where the height isn't known.

For more realism it would randomise based on the distance from the city centre (buildings tend be be tallest in the centre).

If there was a way it could take in LIDAR data that would be even better.

At least it's open source, anything is possible. :)

I do wish IPACS would consider an official Blender plugin, or opening up the file formats to make that possible. Giving people free tools to create things is important.

• Hi!

I am the developer of the blender-osm addon. I'd like to thank you for using the addon.

I hope we can use this thread to discuss which features can be added to the blender-osm addon.

What's missing is a way to randomise height of buildings between certain values where the height isn't known.

Randomization of the floor height and the number of floors (if it isn't set in OSM) will be available this month (September 2018).

• Hello prokitektura,

I take advantage that of your are here ;) I don't know if it is already possible in blender OSM but for me your plugin will be very useful for us if:

1/ it support shapefile format as input. ( it is a much more malleable format to me)

2/ and so that it is possible to setup names of the columns to parse:

-> category

-> height

-> base altitude

-> roof type

3/ add possibility to assign a custom tileable building texture according to "category" (house, tall building, farm, etc...) for example

etc...

• I may be wrong, but I'm used to working with shapefile files, because it's pretty simple and convenient to work with. I use QGIS, Gdal script and other home made tools to add elements, columns, attributes, etc in order to enrich my sources files... I also work with Scenproc and a lot with Gdal and I don't think it supports .osm files in writing but just as reading. but it's just my feeling on it of course ;)

• Hello vvoovv,

Glad to see you on our forum :-)

Are you able to add a google map to the selection square in choose map extent.

Great tool so far :-)

Cheers,

Paul

• I may be wrong, but I'm used to working with shapefile files, because it's pretty simple and convenient to work with. I use QGIS, Gdal script and other home made tools to add elements, columns, attributes, etc in order to enrich my sources files... I also work with Scenproc and a lot with Gdal and I don't think it supports .osm files in writing but just as reading. but it's just my feeling on it of course ;)

I'd prefer to keep focus on OpenStreetMap. There are tools to convert a shapefile to the OSM format:

• 3/ add possibility to assign a custom tileable building texture according to "category" (house, tall building, farm, etc...) for example

etc...

That can be done in the premium version. It's possible to customize how a texture is assigned to a particulart building type via the setup script. There is the dedicated section in the documentation. It's also possible to assign custom textures (e.g. from textures.com) to the imported buildings. The procedure is described here.

Currently, the materials are assigned for the Cycles render engine. Assignment of simple materials which can be exported to the popular 3D formats (.dae, .obj. .fbx, .3ds) will be realized as soon as possible.

• I'd prefer to keep the OSM map since it displays what data OSM contains. It's often the case that some buildings or even the whole districts are missing in the OSM.

Would it be possible to overlay a Bing or google map, it will help some of us identify the exact building we want?