AeroScenery Releases - Easily Create Photoreal Scenery

• I'm opening a new thread for AeroScenery releases as the last one has started to get unwieldy.

After some beta testing by the good people on here I'm pleased to announce that AeroScenery 1.0.1 is now available.

Download here : https://github.com/nickhod/aerosc…AeroScenery.msi

New Features In 1.0.1

On-the-fly Image Processing

You can now have AeroScenery adjust the sharpness, brightness, contrast etc of the image tiles that you're about to convert

Sequential GeoConvert Execution

AeroScenery now detects when GeoConvert is done, kills the GeoConvert process and starts the next one.

This means that multiple GeoConvert instances wont be started at once.

Install Scenery

Install scenery to your Aerofly My Documents folder or configured external user folder from with AeroScenery. No more copy and paste

Fast Delete

Clean up downloaded tiles with a super-fast, low level grid square folder cleanup feature

Grid Square Sizes 9 - 14

Select any grid square size from 9 - 14. Choose what fits your project best

Fixed Grid Square Hex Names

Previous version got the hex names of grid squares wrong. They are now correct in this release.

Xml File Based Config

No longer registry based.

Configurable Orhotphoto Source Urls

It's now possible to change the url templates for orthophoto tile download from the config, if a certain server is down or faster for you.

AeroScenery - Easily create photoreal scenery for Aerofly

• Many thanks Nick for all your hard work and your latest release. Did you have any success with Arcgis.com as an alternative satellite server provider?

Over the years GE and Bing have become very poor quality.

Cheers, Michael.

I'm going to add Arcgis as an orthophoto source in version 1.1, which will be out in a couple of weeks rather than months.

I changed waaay too much stuff in one version for 1.0. Not doing that again. :)

As far as I can tell, Arcgis is quite often using Bing (DigitalGlobe) imagery at high zoom levels, but I'm sure there are some areas that are better.

• Hi Nick, fantastic work. USGS as a source for orthophotos would be great because it would allow people to share their scenery without copyright infringements like with Google or Bing imagery.

Could I ask you to have a look at this site if you have the time?

http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/mapbender/plug…layerid%3D61676

These are high quality, open source 0.4 m / pixel orthophotos for the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate ( where I live in Germany) provided by the government. Do you think Aeroscenery could somehow download, stitch and geoconvert these files, too?

Thanks and cheers, Fabian

• Hi Nick

When I installed V1.0.1 and ran it the first time it patched up the folder names for the current working folder.

The problem is that I have a second working folder for another scenery area and I can't get it to patch the folder names for the second working folder.

thanks

/Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Hi Nick

When I installed V1.0.1 and ran it the first time it patched up the folder names for the current working folder.

The problem is that I have a second working folder for another scenery area and I can't get it to patch the folder names for the second working folder.

Hi Stu,

I didn't think about the scenario where someone might have multiple working folders that they swap between.

You'll find that AeroScenery has fixed all the database entries, so running the process again within AeroScenery wont solve this.

If you can hold on for a few days I'll put together a quick command line application that renames all folders within a given folder, which should solve things for you.

• If you can hold on for a few days I'll put together a quick command line application

No problem. I wrote something to patch it up.

You may still want a stand alone patch utility if others have the same issue

/Stu

i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz | ASUS Z170-A | 16Gb DDR4 | Samsung SSD 950 PRO NVME M.2 256GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on GP102-A GPU | Oculus CV1 | Windows 10

• Nick, I was trying out 1.0.1 last night and noticed the INSTALL SCENERY option was greyed out (can't check the box). I updated the path in the SETTINGS but still no luck. Any ideas?

This was my mistake. Install scenery is done via the map toolbar. I meant to remove the greyed out option.

As TomSimMuc pointed out though, it would be better to allow multiple selected squares to be installed, and that's on the list for 1.1

• it would be better to allow multiple selected squares to be installed, and that's on the list for 1.1

With the GeConvert concurrency control in 1.0, I don't see why install cannot be part of the standard workflow.

In 0.6 many concurent GeoConvert processes would eventually blow up the page file, so if I wanted to download multiple tiles overnight I would have to single (or double) stream the GeoConvert the next day. I ended up writing a powershell script that probed the install folder for last install date and installed all tiles converted after that date.

The problem with select to install (or multiple select to install) is that from the map there is no indication of "install state"

If I am expanding the coverage of an area at level 13 , I may not remember which tiles I just downloaded and converted.

It would still be useful to have visibility of intermediate states. (ie Downloaded, Converted, Installed)

But if the standard workflow will run end to end it is seems like a better approach.

/Stu

• With the GeConvert concurrency control in 1.0, I don't see why install cannot be part of the standard workflow.

Here's the scenario I was concerned about:

In one AeroScenery job:

1) User downloads a level 14 size at ZL 19 tile and geoconvert at level 14.

2) User downloads a level 9 size tile at ZL 17 and geoconverts at levels down to 14.

Here the tiles from (2) will overwrite the tiles from (1), which isn't what's wanted.

AeroScenery installs into a folder named after the level 9 tile that each tile belongs (if that makes sense).

This is to stop your install folder filling up with duplicates. (I don't even know how AFS handles duplicates).

After thinking this through for a while, I decided to just let the user manage it.

In theory, yes, you could write some code that works out what to install after everything is generated, but it's not simple.

• I take your point even though my scenery process is without collisions

Level 9-12 at ZL 16

Level 13-15 at ZL 19

I guess I will just have to continue with my script.

My comments about intermediate states are still relevant.