I've looked at clouds, from both sides now....... :-)

• So, those keeping track probably already know that DTG's flightsim world has elected to use the third party cloud system, Truesky offered by Simul.

It's caused quite a splash for Flighsim world, and one can only drool imagining such a visually impressive, though limited system in Aerofly. (Limited as in having only two cloud layers of limited cloud types)

Now it seems those limitations are in the act of being removed........ https://80.lv/articles/truesky-making-skies-alive/

(see excerpt below)

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2017/08/SandySutherland-UE4-Lippykid-1024x505.jpg]

"How do layers work with the clouds?

In trueSKY up till now (version 4.1) we’ve had two layers, one 2D cloud layer at high altitude (e.g. cirrus clouds), and a 3D layer. TrueSKY 4.2 (released September 2017, but available for testing now) represents a departure: now we have multiple 3D cloud layers of different types – there’s no set limit – that can overlap, covering a 600km visible volume around the camera. In 4.2, there are no 2D cloud layers – we’ve found a way to render cirrus and other thin, high-altitude cloud formations volumetrically. And instead of repeating horizontally, you can have completely different weather in different parts of your game-world: you can have a clear sky overhead, but a gathering storm in the distance. But more than that, you see that storm building as you approach it, seamlessly transitioning from one state to the other."

I'm posting this thread as a heads up to Ipacs and the community, of an interesting possibility for taking Aerofly to a new level as far as clouds are concerned. Who knows? Maybe the developers here will take a look! :love:

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• You guys... :D Yes, no one is happy with the current clouds but I'm not sure if buying new clouds is going to solve everything. And yes the trueSKY clouds look a lot better than what we are used to in simulation. But my question with simulated clouds is always: why are people happy with such "bad" looking clouds? This is one of the best examples out there, it looks quite good but not quite realistic, still in the uncanny valley for me a bit... Real clouds are awesome and no sim has really convinced me yet. So I think we can still get better than this, I'm not yet fully happy, hehe :)

The screenshot below looks good in some areas, for example I really like the horizon on the left and right and the shadows under the build ups in front. I also like that the upper cloud layer seems to cast a shadow on the layer beneath, looks really good. But the edges of the cloud layer at the top look washed out and the transition to the dark background doesn't look as good. Cloud itself should become more white towards the edge there, more washed out and more of a diffuse edge, since that is probably a thick cirrus cloud judging from the monotonous gray underneath. Even cumulus clouds would not have such random parts in front of the clouds, there is usually a sharp edge or a diffuse wash out, never sharp individual blobs like seen here. I also don't like the cloud structure of the cloud "blobs" in the lower level (smaller build ups), they looks too random. Clouds are not random, they have structure where they are build and they fall and dissolve on the other end... This looks more like a huge propeller chopped the clouds into pieces. It's the fractures of the clouds that are too large in size yet, should be much finer, much more homogeneous, less spot like if they are that transparent.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2017/08/4.2.png]

This one below doesn't look good I think, the light doesn't match the mountains in the distance at all. And again, too little structure compared to real worlds.

[Blocked Image: https://cdn.80.lv/80.lv/uploads/2017/08/FutureLighthouse-UE4-Tomorrow_VRShort.jpg]

Here, take this how it should look like:

Take these time stamps:

1) 0:16 - milky soup below, topped off with some highly fractured clouds, fragments are relatively local, there are typical cauliflower, cumulus like, cloud tops, piles of clouds towards the left side. Then in the higher altitudes you have a giant cirrus, very soft and unstructured cloud and underneath that some cloud fragments, small in height and relatively stretched along lines... And also look at the lower edge of the upper layer, really soft with some fragments hanging lower.

2) 0:19 (and 0:23) - very wavy structure in the lower left corner, dense clouds with sharp cloud tops, embedded in a lower level haze layer. Sharp clouds are faded out towards the edges, transition into the haze, really. In the far distance: only mountain tops peaking out of the clouds, scenery invisible underneath. Really soft transition of the low haze and the mountains

4) 0:27 - this is what I want to see in a next gen sim. That looks insane. OK, we got actual 3D looking cirrus clouds with really soft edges and feather like structure (not blobs as seen in the screenshots above), medium high level clouds with quite defined edges (feather like or soft drop off line, again no thick blobs at the edge), large wave like structures in the left cloud layer. On the right hand side, another smaller wave like cloud (mix of cirrus, lenti cularis and alto cumulus?), that one as more broken off edges, but the height of these fragments taper off towards the edge as well, really thin border, lets a lot of light through -> brightens up when seen from below, not visible in the sceenshots above. An then of course high altitude build ups in the lower right corner, nice cauliflower structure with fine fragments in between. And finally the beautiful towering cumulus build ups in the bottom center, illuminated from the back, edges very bright, core very dark. Overall shape looks like a mountain, higher in the middle, tapers off towards the edge,

5) 0:40 Cumulus with sharp tops, soft and diffuse fragments in between, clouds are very local

6) 1:08 transitioning through the haze into the overcast layer, note how soft the haze is, the view gets worse but you can still see very far towards the upper clouds, visibility down into the haze is really bad. Also a thing we don't see in simulation yet, different visibility range depending on where you look at... Also, you can't see the city below but from below, looking up, you can see the upper cloud layer :)

7) 1:27 (that rain shower! :3 aw man I want that! Clearly marked edge of the rain shower, very hazy looking towards the upper cloud layers, nicely indirect lighting of the entire scene, and small raindrops, then larger ones,... soaked wet runway and apron with high reflectivity, almost like a mirror, yeaaaah I want that :)

8) 2:09 a lot of locally increased moisture with "almost clouds", some thermal tops reach high enough to form a cumulus cloud

9) 2:14, if we ever get a lighting like this in the sim we made it :) Purely indirect light through multiple cloud layers

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Now, this is all insanely difficult to program, I can imagine, but we shouldn't stop demanding better clouds. Again, I personally, am not happy with any clouds out there presented as highly realistic. And I am getting a bit tired when people scream: look at those clouds, they look fantastic, when they simply aren't. Yes, they may look better than the default clouds in this or that simulator but I'd still only rate them 5 out of 10. I'd rate the first screenshot of those trueSKY clouds an 8/10 (which is really good for a real time rendering) and the second picture only a 3/10. I think Aerofly deserves clouds that look 8 or 9 out of 10 and 7/10 in the worst conditions. The screenshots shown for trueSKY don't quite convince me, as I said, it could still be a lot better. "Good but not quite good enough" I think.

• Well, the thing is, that no independant company, be it Laminar research, Lockheed Martin or even Microsoft itself, has ever provided an internal cloud solution for its flight sims that matched offerings created later by dedicated third parties. I would be pleased but very surprised if a smaller company like Ipacs could break that paradigm and manage to push out complex aircraft, autogen, atc and clouds/weather in any time period approximating commonly accepted parameters of "soon" (as in the next year or two)

But even much larger companies than Ipacs delegate toward proven off-the-shelf solutions at times rather than spreading resources possibly reinventing the wheel. (if it's cost effective)

I do believe in Aerofly; I'm probably one of the larger fans, but if you guys can actually best Truesky technology and also create an internal weather engine within any reasonable time, research and budgetary period, I would find it an acceptable penance for my lack of faith to kiss a horse in celebration...... :saint:

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited 4 times, last by HiFlyer (September 2, 2017 at 11:50 PM).

• I've been checking out Flight Sim World and while the clouds are quite nice and somewhat revolutionary for a flight simulator, there are certainly some faults that can in some situations look fake. When you get closer to the clouds I tend to find even with the highest settings that the textures are a bit blurry and there's a lack of clarity. In the picture at the very top of this thread you can see some of that blurriness.

Good luck to IPACS though for whatever they implement for whichever year they do.

- Ashley

P3D v4 / AFS2 / XP11 | Intel i7-4790K oc'ed @ 4.6GHz | 16GB RAM | 8GB Nvidia GTX1070 | Windows 10 64-bit | Oculus Rift

• Like we have previously said, we plan to improve on our clouds, but the real
    issue with a 3rd party solution is the integration. As we have previously seen

in the past, any 3rd party solution adds a tremendous overhead when it comes
    to customising it and in case of clouds we need very fine grained control to
    match it with our wind and atmospheric engine.

We are not saying 3rd party solutions are bad, the clouds look good, but we
    then have to spend a lot of time to integrate it into our engine and each new
    platform we work on, requires additional work due to this 3rd party addon.

One of the reasons why Aerofly runs so smooth is, that we have coded all
    the stuff ourself, so its much easier for us to adapt to new platforms, enhance
    things or switch over to other engines.

• A persuasive answer.

• Has IPACS looked into procedural generation for volumetric cloud creation?

And could it actually work in the AF2 engine?

At the moment there's a lot of work yet to be done with other features. We will get to the weather at some point but don't expect it any time soon.

IPACS Development Team Member

I'm just a cook, I don't own the restaurant.
    On behalf of Torsten, Marc, and the rest of the IPACS team, we would all like to thank you for your continued support.

Regards,

Jeff

• , but we shouldn't stop demanding better clouds. Again, I personally, am not happy with any clouds out there presented as highly realistic. And I am getting a bit tired when people scream: look at those clouds, they look fantastic, when they simply aren't.

reaching for gold is reasonable.

and part of aerofly's business intention, i hope.

Jet-pack's motivation i highly support, maybe not at the cost a ten year wait.

we don't have sight of Mark's and Torsten's capability in building complex weather systems,

hard enough to understand the real stuff - espcially in dynamic areas, and even harder to build it simulated in a 3D-world.

What we need now is these guys standing up and talk to us. Can you do it? Can you build a next generation weather model?

at a reasonable time tag?

If you believe you can, please go ahead and do the bloody best thing ever done for simulation.

Long ago i gave up on expecting a time- or content line. This is a model project with an expertise on how current techniques in simulation apply to

a potential merchandise like a flight sim. The 2 founders do the work as much for themselves as for us users, is my impression.

And that's a special trade with a low price tag and a long waiting list for those who wish. Understanding their intentions is impossible since no pattern of a so called business model is recognizable. And we can't buy them.

• Jan I love how you think.

Ideally the computing power should be used in a sphere around oneself, so it's either used for cloud or terrain, whatever is visible around without obstruction. I don't think it really works like this yet (at least in 3D, in 2D sure).

So with that, one would hope to have enough computing power to do interesting cloud stuff. maybe soon.

• Ideally the computing power should be used in a sphere around oneself, so it's either used for cloud or terrain, whatever is visible around without obstruction.

We can get more efficient than that... You don't want to render clouds or scenery behind you, waste of computing power. :)

They still have to be loaded and their position has to be calculated etc, so if you turn your camera that they don't have to load in and create lag or visual artifacts.

Aerofly scenery is only rendered in front of the camera I think, but I'm not 100% sure. Ideally you would only render a section of a sphere, only the direction you are looking at.

Can you do it? Can you build a next generation weather model?

at a reasonable time tag?

If you believe you can, please go ahead and do the bloody best thing ever done for simulation.

Marc (spelled with a c!) and Torsten are two very smart guys. So yes they can do it and in a reasonable time tag probably yes. I mean they have already created the Aerofly engine all on their own and you can test the excellent result for yourself. If they can do that they are probably also capable of "rendering some clouds and animating them"...

I have big hopes for a next generation weather engine and I hope I can be involved in the development as well because I have a bit of experience with real world weather, thermals and mountain waves, slope soaring, etc.

The question is rather how many features will be included. Do you need historical weather for each and every minute of the last 100 years, what about rain, snow fall, snow on the ground?, hail that damages your airplane? ice build up? what about turbulence that is strong enough to damage your airplane as well, how about wind shear, wake of other aircraft? mountain waves, rotor clouds,... the list goes on and on. That all takes a bit of time, so how far is good enough?

Personally I'd already be happy to see an overcast sky with local rain showers with the occasional lightning and thunder (so rare that is surprises me), wet runways and increased turbulence in those showers, clear skies or only some cirrus clouds once I break through the ceiling. Or a fair day with cumulus clouds and thermals with slight to moderate turbulence underneath, just enough that you want to slow down in your A320 to not get thrown around by the turbulence, some wind gusts due to thermals, slight average wind, etc.

• Do you need historical weather for each and every minute of the last 100 years, what about rain, snow fall, snow on the ground?, hail that damages your airplane? ice build up? what about turbulence that is strong enough to damage your airplane as well, how about wind shear, wake of other aircraft? mountain waves, rotor clouds,... the list goes on and on. That all takes a bit of time, so how far is good enough?

forget historical, i don't even understand what that is supposed to be.

For the rest of your considerations (today's weather), i would not make things sound more complex than they actually are,

but a bit more indepth than what other flight sims are providing to their users.

There is a precise differentiation of expectations on behalf of the demanding part of users,

which to name is as easy as learning weather in flight school.

Turbulences of any kind, Icing, all that stuff is certainly expected. Why shouldn't it.

Priotize one thing while tinier stuff can wait. Turbulence is priority.

The variety of the dynamics in macro and overhead is what i called weather system in my earlier post.

Kachelmann or Häckl would explain the overall weather system being a result of tiny little rotorwinds dancing everywhere on

our planet, on flat fields, just like around buildings, then building bigger conditions, ending in giant high or low pressure systems.

there is tropic conditions, alpine conditions, etc.

I can not tell the devs it's complicated, if it is not. It's just a dedicated thing to do, and it requires people like Marc and Thorsten,

who take up on a scientific challenge rather than chasing the quick dollar.

i see 3 effects of simulated weather:

1. The engine, the architecture behind.

The code of dynamic air and spheres that manages conditions and their effect on other objects.

For some coded reason my very plane starts dropping 100feet/min. at this very moment.

2. The look. How does simulated weather present itself towards the user.

3. The feel. How is the modelled weather affecting my experience.

So, your question of what is "good enough", i would answer with

the above 3 points in the first instance.

In a second instance i would apply a parameter of outcome quality.

Let's assume an expected degree of weather-related objects is implemented, but the design of the volumetric clouds would

not necesserily make everyone happy, that is the time to define the graphics expected and give that part of the object to

the grafix team.

Definitions, Methods, and a Plan.

Setting up a weather simulation project requires all that of course.

Find rules and patterns of every aspect of what you would like to design,

may it be wake turbulence, may it be hale drop, may it be air masses colliding.

Hold creative meetings and use lots of megasized paperwalls to design every type of weather-related topic,

draw every aspect of weather,

starting with reason vs. effect (ursache-wirkung, z.B. lokaler Temperaturanstieg durch Sonneneinstrahlung).

devide condition beds: air circulation, density, humidity, temperature, terrain, altitudes.

If you are able to draw that stuff on a paper, (just like the arrows which you use for the wind generator)

you have a good base of finding ways of building code objects.

build blocks of small, mid and large systems. That's how God did it.

Then build conditions which trigger the right effect.

Decide on feasability and the effect on the user side.

If the effect does have an impact on the product side, do it.

• I love Aerofly 2, especially as I mainly fly circuits and bumps in tail draggers (which is totally unrealistic in XP-11). I do hope however that IPACS will at least prevent their own cumulus clouds causing stutters. I have to set them to zero to avoid spoiling immersion.

• forget historical, i don't even understand what that is supposed to be.

Historical is to the weather engine exactly what daytime adjustment is to your sim clock.

Real weather is a wonderful feature - I've been enjoying Active Sky for so many years now. It works pretty well : wherever you fly the weather conditions you get are very consistent with current observations and their evolution..

However great this may be, I sure don't want to be stuck with the current real weather just like I don't want to be stuck with the current system time. I have to cancel enough real-life flights due to inadequate weather conditions for not wanting this burden in my sim. Just like I don't want to wait for a clear night to practice some night VFR...

What I love with historical is that I can pick a weather from a past day (be it a tricky-weather or a beautiful day) and prepare my flight with the forecasts of that day.

This mode gathers somewhat the advantages of both fix pre-defined weather theme and real life current weather : you pick a day with the kind of weather conditions you want for your flight, and still within a single click you have consistent "real weather" conditions wherever you fly and their complex evolution during your flight, following or not what could be expected during flight preparation - the thrill and complexity of real weather.

Once you try it you never use fix weather themes anymore...

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 3.20GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.

• I have also active sky ... often no connect to actual weather ..and i dont need it, i need 3-5 more weather sceneries :)

blue sky ...4/8 clouds, stormy ...rainy ..snow ..thats it :)

for me its not interesting to fly at the 100 % weatherconditions from today 11:12 o clock in north california ... for what ?

mfg, Jens ... Flight-Sim.org

Mein Home-Cockpit ... My Simulator Hardware

MSI PRO Z690-P DDR4 --- SI INTEL Core i7-13700F 2.1GHz LGA1700 Tray --- Palit RTX4070 JetStream 12GB DDR6 --- 16GB DDR4 PC4400 --- SSD Patriot 1TB M.2 Viper VP4300 --- Pimax Crystal

Alles fliegt irgendwie,
    fragt sich nur wielange

• I have REX for my FSX but mostly ORBX weather 1, 2, 3, 4, ... was very fine and enough for me. To fly with real weather I was often too lazy ;)

• for what ?

For variation and realism. You may be happy with 3-5 weather themes but I like how Active Sky gives me different and surprising weather everytime. And with everytime I mean even during flights! It is totally awesome to take off with heavy rain somewhere, to slowly see the weather change and then to land with a sunny sky somewhere else. Or to be surprised by a thunderstorm. Or to have to pick another runway because of wind changes. And to have to check and set the baro for the correct pressure. And with Active Sky all this goes for real time weather as well as historic weather.

Flying a two hour flight with the exact same raining theme all the time...? No, thank you. Boring and predictable. ;)