• Then ...lets make an autogyro , i can help with physics also :)

I doubt you can code your own helicopter physics engine in c++ and somehow inject that into the sim.

Its the rotational element which is crucial here. We could theoretically use propellers for this at the moment but to get it just right we'll need some actual blades.

The wing we have right now could also be used but its not specifically designed for rotor blades which have 3D effects, airflow from the rear and the front at the same time on the same blade as soon as aircrafts speed is greater zero, etc. We'd have to make all sort of connections to get the hub plane working, in the end the blades should travel around the rotor mast, should be able to deflect up and down and left and right (flapping) so that you can maintain straight and level flight without rolling away. This is true for autogyros as it is for helicopters.

This stuff is not easy, I've had lessons about helicopters physics at the university and I tell you, may look easy but it really is much more complex than I ever thought. Nothing on the rotor is stationary, the incoming air sometimes comes from the left or from the right, the front and even the rear, the wash of one blade hits the next one, there is all sorts of high mach number compression going on one side whilst the other is in a stall, partially with air coming from the trailing edge, etc. This is not your regular wing anymore.

I'd say, lets just focus our efforts into making a lovely carbon cub. When helicopters arrive in Aerofly we can surely use the new physics elements to create our own autogyro or helicopter.

• Hi jan

You forgot..retreating blade stall..... flap back......delta angle........interconnection between main and tail rotor height causing roll.......lifting bodies........dis-symmetry of lift along the length of the blade....induced lift...ground effect.....vortex ring .....and the list goes on.... but most important of all.......the sloppy link

that's the one at the controls <X

• I was just looking at the offshore platforms in the Helgoland scenery pack and I would be we could land and takeoff from those helipad with the Carbon Cub. Crank up the wind to full strength and drop in like we know what we are doing. They are 53 meters high so takeoff in a stiff wind should not be a problem either.

Regards,

Ray

• Hey guys

The work on CarbonCub is progressing nicely however, since I've moved onto the cabin section I found some more differences between PA-18 plans and my CC reference photos.

I think that I've got most of the proportions right by now except the actual width of the fuselage. I couldn't find any good front view picture (leveled plane and taken from distance with low optical distortion), therefore I'm going to need little help here.

If there is anybody who has access to CarbonCub or know somebody who does, please look at the picture below.

All I need, is the measurement between two identical points. These are the OUTSIDE width of the fuselage, right under the windows front bottom corner.

Thanks in advance;)

Jay

Over and Out

Jay

• REQUEST FOR MODEL BUILD

In the post above RoyPetit says he is a real world pilot that lives close to some real Carbon Cubs and know the FBO/dealer there. Maybe RoyPettit could give his friend a call and get the critical measurement for you. Sometime in the future he may be motivated to ride out and take a close look at the Carbon Cubs and take along a tape measure and check your overall dimensions.

I remember a few years ago when Flight1 built the FSX version of the Cessna Mustang with Cessna's blessings. The Mustang sales team used the flight sim to demo the Mustang to potential buyers and would make a repaint, including the interior colors, with the customers choice of registration number and paint scheme and give him a copy of FSX with his Mustang to take home to show the family, friends, and neighbors. Just like the "would you take this puppy home for the weekend" deal.

According to the Cessna Sales team, probably more than 50 jets were to sold to customers using the FSX flight sim model that were on the fence with the final decision. Looking at the Mustang with their personal choice of colors at their home airport flying over their neighborhood swayed them to Cessna's favor.

Something similar could happen with the Carbon Cub flight sim model and RoyPettit's friend in Washington.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Ray

• I got a response from a Carbon Cub SS owner that says his came with a Catto Composite 78" 54 pitch prop as the standard climb prop, but there is an optional 80" 50 pitch that generates better thrust.

Maybe RoyPettit can verify the numbers when he visits his Carbon Cub dealer/friend.

Regards,

Ray

UPDATE:

Another response said the standard prop on the SS is now the Catto 80x50.

Ray

• Hey boys

I thought you might like the new tundra tires I bought on ebay for our Cub^^

Jay

Jay ! Congratulations, your work is priceless ! I Always dreamed to fly with a Carbon Cub in FS2 ! I hope you can decline it with 4 types of gear ;) : standard wheels, Tundra tires, wheels/skis combi ( a must have for Switzerland DLC's glaciers), and in a near future with floats as well ;)

Anyway, you are doing a great job ! Cannot wait to welcome this little beast in Fs2.

Greetings from Switzerland, Herve

• Hey all

It's been little quiet but I'm still tirelessly working on our Cub. Finished landing gear mechanism and gave it a try..

(it's a landing on one wheel) :D

I also modeled large portion around the cabin, and clean up lot of existing mesh.

To be honest, until now I didn't have a clue how much work there is on a single aircraft like this.

Well, bit by bit, we'll get there eventually;)

Jay

Over and Out

Jay

• *(imagine a wise green creature)*: Yes yes, lots of work a good aircraft is, hmm? Looking good your gear does <X:S

That gear looks fairly simple compared to other landing gear constructions we've seen in Aerofly :) Just imagine, the rear center gear of the 747 has an upper part, then a middle part (damper), then a lower part that hinges and also steers at low speeds. 4 main gears, one front gear, all retractable, more than half of them steering.

The carbon cub looks easy compared to that, just one swing, and the damper directly attached to that.

By the way how are the brakes connected? Is that just direct link wire? or are there hydraulic lines?