Info about Orbx Meigs Field in Chicago

• I posted this in a thread but then realized it was buried deep within a mixed title about multiple subjects and would probably not be seen by most readers interested in Meigs.

Over at Orbx, Innsbruck seems to be the one getting all of the attention.

Agreed - I have been reading and posting a lot over on the Orbx forums re: this - hardly a word about Meigs!

Well, I have to say I am glad LOWI is getting all the attention: I don't care too much for a fantasy airport which Meigs sort of is imho.

I'll take anything they want to produce! :D

You might take a look at what comes with the Orbx Meigs Field. This is what it looked like in Steam for FSX:SE when it was the only Orbx scenery East of the Mississippi River. AFS 2 area coujld be different but, highly unlikely. But, most of the high rise buildings were not enhanced in the FSX version because they already existed in the base Chicago sim scenery. This is not the case for AFS 2 so there is some room for a little additional scenery in the new release.

https://www.avsim.com/pages/0216/Meigs/036.jpg
    https://www.avsim.com/pages/0216/Meigs/061.jpg

Regards,
    Ray

Full review here - lots of history, real world images near Meigs, and how it looks and performs in FSX:SE.
    https://www.avsim.com/home/reviews/s…or-fsxse-r3426/

• There was a small mention from JV a while ago where he said that Ipacs autogen was going to be used, but that the size of the scenery area had not yet been decided at that time.

Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

Edited once, last by HiFlyer (June 5, 2017 at 11:31 PM).

• Ray - Your efforts to persuade JV have been rewarded.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/13…gs-aerofly-fs2/

This is truly great news for Aerofly FS 2 folks. The full Monty for Meigs Field in AFS2. But, the really big news is that Orbx will have a service pack soon after release with an awesome area of totally new autogen buildings and such.

According to JV's post a few hours ago,

"we have 500,000+ buildings up and running in AFS2 at Chicago at 100+FPS *before* any optimization - That's not a typo." and this can be scaled upwards to a million, two million. More screenshots available at the FlightSimCon 2017 in Hartford in a few days.

Quote from a second JV post earlier today when talking about the new Orbx Meigs Field scenery pack for Aerofly FS2 . . .

"How about 12,000 km2 of photoreal stretching from Milwaukee down to Gary? You got it! It's a sandbox ready for more content.
    We are building tech right now to cover entire regions with super footprint-accurate buildings and trees. Not landclass, but photoreal.
    This is not a race, it's a journey."

Hot Damn (my comment) Meig's single runway is just perfect for the Aerofly FS2 Learjet 45XR and the almost released Bombardier Q400 and will you look at all the eye candy. Oh me o my.

Regards,

Ray

New AFS2 KCGX screenshots from Orbx. Wow, check out that fake water - good job Orbx!

• Devons rig

Intel Core i5-13600K - Core i5 13th Gen 14-Core (6P+8E) @ 5.5Ghz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB RAM DDR5 6000 / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070Ti GAMING OC 12G / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 6x Samsung SSD/NVME's various sizes / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard DDR5

• No prices yet, but what do you guys think are the pros and cons of buying from Steam vs directly from OrbX?

Good question.

Steam
    Pro = Same location: Overview, download, backup...

Orbx
    Pro = Price reduction: If you already have the same addon/DLC for another simulator (FSX/P3D). Or plan to buy the same addon/DLC for 2, 3 or 4 simulators (Aerofly FS2/FSX/P3D/FSW). Perhaps better support.

• No prices yet, but what do you guys think are the pros and cons of buying from Steam vs directly from OrbX?

Depending on your age, I think Orbx is still giving Seniors a discount on everything, everyday. You have to establish proof that you are indeed worthy of such discount.

OTOH, Steam does have a lot of weekend specials at greatly reduced prices. I would not expect any sale prices for Aerofly FS2 related add ons anytime soon, but you never know for sure.

Regards,

Ray

• Mmm, interesting.

I guess if it comes from FTX central, there might be discounts down the line if you have a previous version of an airport say for FSX, but it seems like the new regions are different products to what has been available before. I'd guess the individual airports would be more direct ports from previous work.

OrbX would probably get a better cut of the money.

There were more FSX addons available at OrbX than OrbX dlc on steam - I wonder if that might be similar in the future.

OrbX are pretty good at tech support and updates

Steam however, has good sales and discounts quite often, and you can't fault the updates and ease of use. I wonder if IPACS gets a better cut of the money from Steam or the same from each.

I can't think of any significant reason to choose one over the other at this time.

i5-12600K/MSI RTX 3080/Win11/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+ Beyer DT990 pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Quest Pro/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals

• I'd prefer Steam over Central which only adds another unneeded layer. I am too happy already I don't have to deal with all those seperate installers in FSX and P3D anymore. The 'new' Central is better than it was before but it still is an extra program you'd have to install and manage. A few weeks ago I reinstalled Windows 10 and after that I did a reinstall of AFS2 using Steam: it was done with one click. I like that a lot. The only drawback may be the discount that I could get for addons I already own and that may be ported to AFS2. But since AFS2 sceneries will be totally new I do wonder how much discounts I would actually get. A lot of the small airports I bought in the past don't interest me anymore: I like addons like LOWI and MEIGS more (larger area).

• I'd prefer Steam over Central which only adds another unneeded layer.

Initially, I also prefer Steam rather than Orbx FTXC.
    But an important question is: What does Orbx prefer?
    I think Orbx prefers us to use their FTXC. And then they have to give us some benefits that we can't get at Steam. But what should it be? Price reduction if you buy the same item for multiple simulators.
    Now John Venema is also talking about maybe selling Aerofly FS2 from OrbxDirect.com.