Table of Contents
Aerofly FS Flight Simulator Software Development Kit (SDK)
Important update for latest version 2019/06/25
If you have installed a previous version of our Aerofly FS 2 Content Converter and Aerofly FS 2 Aircraft converter, please uninstall them first before installing the latest version as of 2019/06/25. Both tools now no longer requires elevated privileges and are installed in the Windows Programs folder for the current user.
Getting the SDK
Please visit our Aerofly FS SDK download page to download the SDK files for free. After registration and our approval of your user account a short time later you can download the SDK files.
- Aerofly FS SDK with links to all available tools and repaint kits
- Scenery Workshop with example airport Kingman and all required source files.
- Aircraft Workshop with DR400 airplane and all required source files.
- 64 Bit version of Windows 7, 8 or 10 with
- E-mail account to register in the IPACS forum and download the SDK
- UNICODE capable text editor, e.g.:
- If you want to create own 3D models:
- 3D Studio Max 2010 or higher,
- Maxon Cinema 4D Version 17, or
- AutoCAD (AC3D) 3D Version 8
SDK Tools Overview
The Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator Software Development Kit (SDK) consists of several different programs and libraries that are required by external developers to create additional content for Aerofly FS 2. This SDK includes:
- Export plugins for 3D Studio Max, Maxon Cinema 4D and AC3D Version 8
- Installer for the Aerofly FS 2 Content Converter used to create 3D scenery objects
- Installer for the Aerofly FS 2 Aircraft Converter for creating your own airplane
- GeoConvert tool to bring your own aerial images into Aerofly FS 2
- The 'external_dll' folder:
Example Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 project for creating a Windows DLL for reading simulation data and sending back control inputs.
Export Plugins For 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D and AC3D
The SDK provides export plugins for 3D Studio Max, Maxon Cinema 4D and AC3D Version 8. Those plugins export the 3D objects from the modeling software into the intermediate .tgi file format. The structure of the intermediate .tgi files generated by the export plugins is independent of the chosen modeling software and specific export plugin. This ensures that there is only one input file format for the final converter to the Aerofly runtime-engine. This converter can be subject to change for future Aerofly versions and can optimize the already exported 3D models without the need to reopen the modeling software.
Installing the export plugins should simply be a case of following the usual plugin-installation-procedures for your modeling software, copying the plugins into the respective plugin-folder of the target modeling software.
- In 3D Studio Max select Customize > Configure System Paths > 3rd party plugins and add a file path reference to the 3D Studio Max export plugin file
'ipacs-3dsmax-2016-to-tgi.dle' distributed with the SDK. As an alternative you may copy the files 'ipacs-3dsmax-2016-to-tgi.dle' and 'ipacs-3dsmax-2016-to-tgi.dll' into the plugin folder of 3D Studio Max.
- For Maxon Cinema 4D copy the file 'ipacs-c4d-r17-to-tgi.cdl64' to the user plugin folder, by default, this is located at '%APPDATA%/Roaming/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R17_xxxxxxxx/plugins'
- For AC3D copy the file 'ipacs-ac3d-tgi.dle' to the plugin folder of AC3D, by default this is at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AC3Dxxx\plugins\'
Aerofly FS Content Converter
The Aerofly FS Content Converter can do several operations to generate files compatible with the Aerofly FS Flight Simulator:
- Converts intermediate .tgi 3D models and textures in .bmp, .png and .tif file format to the final Aerofly FS Flight Simulator files for scenery objects and other content (not aircraft).
For the installation of the Aerofly FS 2 Content Converter simply start the setup program 'aerofly_fs_2_content_converter_x64_installer.exe' (or similar). Follow the steps of the installation dialog.
Aerofly FS Aircraft Converter
The Aerofly FS Aircraft Converter is an executable that serves the following functions:
- Converts intermediate .tgi 3D models and textures in .bmp, .png and .tif file format to the final Aerofly FS Flight Simulator aircraft format.
- Converts .wav sound files to .tsb sound files for the Aerofly FS engine.
For the installation of the Aerofly FS 2 Aircraft Converter simply start the setup program 'aerofly_fs_2_aircraft_converter_x64_installer_YYYY-MM-DD.exe' (or similar). Follow the steps of the installation dialog.
Aerofly FS GeoConvert
The Aerofly FS 2 GeoConvert is an executable that converts input aerial images to the final engine format.
There is no installation process reqiured, the executable is stand alone and starts converting all files in the “input_aerial_images” folder when started.
Please check out our GeoConvert Tutorial to get started with this tool.
Requirements - Please download the Scenery Workshop (link above) and install the Aerofly FS Content Converter.
The scenery workshop download contains
- The 'kigm_kingman' folder:
A sample airport (Kingman/KIGM) with the 3D Studio Max and Maxon Cinema 4D modeling files as well as all required textures.
- The 'kogb_oceanside' folder:
A sample airport (Oceanside/KOGB) with 3Ds Max and Cinema 4D files, textures etc.
Check out our Scenery Workshop where you will learn the basics of creating your airport for Aerofly FS 2.
Requirements - Please download the Aircraft Workshop (link above) and install the Aerofly FS Content Converter.
The aircraft workshop download contains
- The 'dr400' folder:
Sample aircraft 'dr400' including the 3d Studio Max files and all texture and sound source files as well as template files to get your aircraft 3d model into Aerofly FS 2.
- A 'template' folder with a minimal tmd file, ideal for the fist project
Check out our Aircraft Workshop page.