Version 1.08 of GeoConvert Helper Application is available

• Hello GeoConverters,

a new version of the GeoConvert Helper application is available.

Changes in Version 1.08:

• Support for the new GeoConverter switch [write_images_with_mask]
    • Snapping function, which snaps the coordinates to the bounds of Aerofly FS 2 level 9 tiles
    • Copy and paste function to exchange coordinates with FSET
    • Tutorial for the advanced use of GeoConvert Helper (accessible via Help menu)

Please download it from here.

After unpacking you should rename GeoConvertHelper.ex to GeoConvertHelper.exe

The tutorial is also available here.

I would like to thank Rodeo, drhotwing1 and the IPACS team for their support.

• Thanks again!.

Cheers, Ed

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | i7-5820k | 32GB RAM | 3xSSD Samsung 1TB | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11GB | LG 29UC97C UW Curved | Oculus Rift VR | TM FCS HOTAS // Gaming Laptop ASUS ROG Strix Scar II GL704GW | Windows 10 Home | i7-8750H | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | Nvidia RTX 2070 | TM FCS HOTAS

• admoore63 ,

Thanks again for all your efforts to make GeoConverting easier for us all - we owe you one (or more!). I have one question about the "snapping" feature at level 9 that you talk about. To make a high resolution insert at level 14, I would have thought that you will have to "snap" at that level as well to avoid the black. I know that when I do it manually, I have to keep adding a larger FSET image (FSET=0) so that when the raw_images get generated, I inspect them to make sure that the area that I want for the insert has no black in the .PNG file. I'm not sure how you do it.

Thanks again

Dave W.

• To make a high resolution insert at level 14, I would have thought that you will have to "snap" at that level as well to avoid the black. I know that when I do it manually, I have to keep adding a larger FSET image (FSET=0) so that when the raw_images get generated, I inspect them to make sure that the area that I want for the insert has no black in the .PNG file. I'm not sure how you do it.

If you follow the approach described in the tutorial, no mask images will be produced at all. I assume the trick is to process the images for all resolutions in one go.

GeoConvert seems to fill incomplete images from higher levels with data from lower levels if available to avoid masks. So if you stay within level 9 tile bounds for all levels, no masks will be created.

I'm happy you succeeded with these new features! Excellent work and many thanks from the community.

Your support was vital 8)

Danke sehr Uwe!

Gerne!

Thanks again!

You're welcome!

• Uwe,

What if we wanted to generate two or more high res areas inside a single level 9 tile with Helper - how do we do that?

I had some trouble entering the Latitude values by copying one (52.363463) in and then trying to enter that as well in the South entry - it started snapping to 0. Am I supposed to turn off the snap when I first enter the base number and then turn snap on? I had no trouble entering the same longitude in both entries first.

Thanks for your amazing effort!

Dave W.

• What if we wanted to generate two or more high res areas inside a single level 9 tile with Helper

With the helper app it is not possible, since you can define only three areas and these only for different levels. I don't know whether the GeoConvert Tool supports more than one entry per level, but you could try it by editing the file "gch.tmc" and adding the entries manually before pressing "Start".

Am I supposed to turn off the snap when I first enter the base number and then turn snap on?

I never tried to enter coordinates manually for the large area, since these fields are normally filled by the program automatically. But you're right, manually entering values only works when snapping is disabled.

• I've just used Geoconvert helper for the first time. I ran it on an area (retrieving original source) I'd previously geoconverted without the helper and which was working fine though I hadn't got round to masking coastline, so this time I masked coastline on some of the BMPs and replaced them with TIFs. The problems I'm getting are

1) Some areas that are within the area of my FSET aren't in the final scenery - I see the original blurry high level, even though the split between blurry and detailed occurs within a single source FSET square

2) When I fly around I see other areas blurry but as I get closer to them they become sharp

Any help gratefully received. Log file attached. I can actually see problem 2 just in the FS2 Location selector as shown in the JPEGs attached. No height change between these two, just a slight shift to the West.

• Copy and paste function to exchange coordinates with FSET

That's the function I like the most and I continually use.

I understand the helper will help for the overall process, for sure, but I've found it not reliable enough in my case. I prefer to geoconvert manually.

Cheers, Ed

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | i7-5820k | 32GB RAM | 3xSSD Samsung 1TB | MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11GB | LG 29UC97C UW Curved | Oculus Rift VR | TM FCS HOTAS // Gaming Laptop ASUS ROG Strix Scar II GL704GW | Windows 10 Home | i7-8750H | 32GB RAM | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | Nvidia RTX 2070 | TM FCS HOTAS

• 1) Some areas that are within the area of my FSET aren't in the final scenery - I see the original blurry high level, even though the split between blurry and detailed occurs within a single source FSET square

2) When I fly around I see other areas blurry but as I get closer to them they become sharp

Hi Spit40,

I had a very quick glance at your log file. I noticed you compiled levels 9 , 11, 12, and 14 only.

I would recommend adding at least level 13, to prevent pop up effet when flying (level 14 is only displayed at very short distance).

Adding level 7 is a good step for display in the Location selector - and it's pretty fast.

I haven't checked yet your coordinates. I see you get the AID file created by the compiler, I tend to do it by myself.

Good luck

Cheers

Antoine

Config : i7 6900K - 20MB currently set at 4.00GHz, Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard ASUS Rampage V Extreme U3.1, RAM HyperX Savage Black Edition 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz, Graphic Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Power supply Corsair RM Series 850W, Windows 10 64 bit.